Intel P4 3.2C Stock HSF - Good Enough for OC?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2004 5:10:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I am building a new computer based on P4 3.2C Northwood CPU. I have
heard that the stock HSF is decent but I am considering possible
overclocking the CPU (maybe up to 3.5GHz or so) so if I do that, will
stock HSF be sufficient or will I need to get expensive HSF like
Thermalright SP-94?

I'd prefer not to throw out the stock HSF but I don't wanna install
stock HSF, then find out it is insufficient and have to re-install
aftermarket HSF as this involves effort and risk.

What are readers opinions?

Thanks!
(reply to newsgroup please)

More about : intel stock hsf good

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2004 3:07:01 AM

"Email Invalid" <email_invalid@mail2world.com> wrote in message
> I am building a new computer based on P4 3.2C Northwood CPU. I have
> heard that the stock HSF is decent but I am considering possible
> overclocking the CPU (maybe up to 3.5GHz or so) so if I do that, will
> stock HSF be sufficient or will I need to get expensive HSF like
> Thermalright SP-94?
>
> I'd prefer not to throw out the stock HSF but I don't wanna install
> stock HSF, then find out it is insufficient and have to re-install
> aftermarket HSF as this involves effort and risk.
>
> What are readers opinions?
>
> Thanks!
> (reply to newsgroup please)

Just buy an SP-94 coupled with a Vantec Tornado 92mm, or PanaFlow 92mm if
noise pisses you off, and some Arctic Silver 5.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2004 4:42:55 AM

Email Invalid wrote:

> I am building a new computer based on P4 3.2C Northwood CPU. I have
> heard that the stock HSF is decent but I am considering possible
> overclocking the CPU (maybe up to 3.5GHz or so) so if I do that, will
> stock HSF be sufficient or will I need to get expensive HSF like
> Thermalright SP-94?

Yes, so it is.

Roy
Related resources
April 7, 2007 10:31:39 AM

It really doesn't make any sense to build a new computer with a Pentium in it right now. I would look at the new Core 2 Duos.

The Athlon X2's are still pretty good for the low end though.
April 7, 2007 12:13:23 PM

I'll start by trying to answer the question at hand. I am currently using a Northwood 3.2 to type this. The stock cooler works reasonably well if you only overclock mildly (I run mine at 3360 MHz, that seems to be the highest that the system will remain both stable and cool). However, the Intel fan is downright obnoxious when the CPU goes under load and the CPU temperature still shoots up to the mid 60s Centigrade in a Lian-Li case with decent airflow (including a side intake feeding the CPU cooler). So if I were you I would look at some other heatsink if you care about noise or want to be more aggressive.

Now I have to ask why you would base a new build around that CPU? It wasn't bad 4 years ago when it came out but I would much sooner use an AMD X2 3600+ (only $65) if budget was key now. Socket 478 is long dead so unless you already have the rest of the parts you will be buying all obsolete components like a 478 mobo, DDR RAM, and AGP graphics unless you happen to trust that one ASRock mobo that supports PCI express with socket 478. But that one still uses DDR RAM, rather than the newer DDR2.

ASRock P4VM890 Socket 478 VIA P4M890 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
April 8, 2007 3:27:16 AM

you guys seriously didn't notice this was years old?

I thought at least a few people would get mad at me....
April 8, 2007 4:04:06 AM

chuckle... :lol:
April 9, 2007 2:21:06 AM

Thats was a good one... lol :lol:
April 9, 2007 2:24:45 AM

Quote:
you guys seriously didn't notice this was years old?

I thought at least a few people would get mad at me....

It's you who responsed to 3 years old message. By the way, is this how CEO making more traffic to the site for sale? 15-20 millions isn't bad at all. :evil:
April 9, 2007 2:57:34 AM

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I just thought it would be funny to bring back an old thread. See if people noticed.

At least one person thought it was funny, so that's good enough for me.
April 9, 2007 3:06:11 AM

I don't beleive you. You must work for Omid. How much he gave you when the deal done? :twisted:
!