Video card under $100?

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

What video card would recomend for under $100?

My motherboard is Abit NF-S with AMD XP 3000+ if it matters.

Thanks

Ben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What video card would recomend for under $100?
>
> My motherboard is Abit NF-S with AMD XP 3000+ if it matters.
>
> Thanks

What about a Sapphire Radeon 9600?

UR welcome

--
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties
and confers no rights.

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> What about a Sapphire Radeon 9600?

I found
Rosewill ATI RADEON 9600SE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X
AGP, Model "96SE-AD-128B" -RETAIL
for $69.

It has the same chipset and same amount of memory as the Sapphire (ATI
9600SE) so wouldn't they be pretty close in performance tests? I'm asking
because Rosewill is cheaper by about $30.

Thanks again

"Ben" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What video card would recomend for under $100?
>
> My motherboard is Abit NF-S with AMD XP 3000+ if it matters.

What matters more is what you intend to do with the card; without that information I might as well
recommend a good toaster oven.

Jon

"Ben" <ben@ben.com> said:

> I found Rosewill ATI RADEON 9600SE

The SE signifies a crippled version of the 9600. You should be able to get
a 9600 from newegg.com for about $100.
--
Mac Cool

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How much worse is the SE model?

I do play games but my system is not primarly for gaminging. Although I dont
want my games to look like they do on my pentium II 266Mhz with ATI 8 meg
ram video card, which is what I use right.

My system is mostly for web browsing, basic system administration, watching
DVD movies, etc.

> The SE signifies a crippled version of the 9600. You should be able to get
> a 9600 from newegg.com for about $100.
> --
> Mac Cool

> How much worse is the SE model?

"SE" models usually have the chipset of the normal version but run at a
slow speed, or sometimes at half the bit rate. Depending on the game,
you might see no difference, or you might see a big one.

For non-gaming, it will probably never be an issue.

> My system is mostly for web browsing, basic system administration, watching
> DVD movies, etc.

Then the 9600 LE may be good enough. My experience is this: right now,
if you buy a GPU for $70-100, you can play the latest games, though
often at low settings. If you spend $130-160, they will be much more
enriched. Games that came out a year ago will probably still run smooth
on a 9600 LE.

"Ben" <ben@ben.com> said:

> How much worse is the SE model?

About 1/2 the speed of a 9600

Find the newsgroup alt.binaries.joker and look for the post called: ATTN
BEN: Here are your Benchmarks. This will give you an idea of the relative
speed of popular video cards on 3 popular games.

> I do play games but my system is not primarly for gaminging. Although
> I dont want my games to look like they do on my pentium II 266Mhz
> with ATI 8 meg ram video card, which is what I use right.

An alternative would be the Geforce4 Ti4200, which is about $75 for the
64MB card. Oddly, the 64MB card is faster than the 128MB card, which is
why they are more expensive. The Ti4200 is as fast as the 9600 and in some
games, faster than the 9600.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?DEPA=0
&bop=and&order=PRICE&submit=Go&description=ti4200&Range=1&InnerCata=48
--
Mac Cool