Wireless connexion very slow

Hi !

I just installed a D-Link DI-624 router to hang my 2 home computers to
the internet and create a small lan. One of the computers is wired
while the other has a wireless capability.

When both computers are connected using a Cat-5 cable, everything goes
fine.

When I use the wireless connexion, the transfer speed is very low,
despite the signal strength is reported as high by Windows (XP-Pro
sp2). For example, copying a 5 Meg file from one computer to the other
takes several minutes. This performance is observed even with the
laptop is at less than 6 feet from the router.

This doesn't only occurs with network operations but with internet as
well.. For example, Outlook Express times out while sending e-mails
with attachments !

The router security is temporarily set to a minimal level - just to
make sure it's not what is causing the problem.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this problem ?

Thanks.

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Hi Michel,

You might start with checking your wireless setup.

Make sure that your wireless connection is 54Mb, not 11Mb. Both the router
and wireless NIC should be setup to support 802.11g. The router might have a
setting such as "both", which is allright. Among the settings for NICs,
there usually is a setting which limits the connection speed, so make sure
that this is not a limiting factor. This step ensures that your wireless
computer is connecting to the network with maximum speed available.

Then, make sure that in the TCP/IP settings of your wireless NIC, one and
only one gateway is specified, and this is the IP address of your DI624.
This is the network side IP of the router, not the WAN side. This step
ensures that your wireless is going to the Internet through the most direct
way possible, without having to look around for a gateway.

Then, bear in mind that, while your wired network is probably operating at
100 Mb/s, your wireless network can uperate with a maximum speed of 54 Mb/s.
This is true only for computer-to-computer communications, because the speed
of the Internet connection is much lower than these figures, and it wouldn't
make a difference.

Good luck
Engin

On 5/27/05 4:22 AM, in article eKkJDVpYFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
"oldguy" <engin.tarhan@kopiteknik.com.tr> wrote:

> Hi Michel,
>
> You might start with checking your wireless setup.
>
> Make sure that your wireless connection is 54Mb, not 11Mb. Both the router
> and wireless NIC should be setup to support 802.11g. The router might have a
> setting such as "both", which is allright. Among the settings for NICs,
> there usually is a setting which limits the connection speed, so make sure
> that this is not a limiting factor. This step ensures that your wireless
> computer is connecting to the network with maximum speed available.
>
> Then, make sure that in the TCP/IP settings of your wireless NIC, one and
> only one gateway is specified, and this is the IP address of your DI624.
> This is the network side IP of the router, not the WAN side. This step
> ensures that your wireless is going to the Internet through the most direct
> way possible, without having to look around for a gateway.
>
> Then, bear in mind that, while your wired network is probably operating at
> 100 Mb/s, your wireless network can uperate with a maximum speed of 54 Mb/s.
> This is true only for computer-to-computer communications, because the speed
> of the Internet connection is much lower than these figures, and it wouldn't
> make a difference.
>
> Good luck
> Engin
>
> "Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi !
>>
>> I just installed a D-Link DI-624 router to hang my 2 home computers to the
>> internet and create a small lan. One of the computers is wired while the
>> other has a wireless capability.
>>
>> When both computers are connected using a Cat-5 cable, everything goes
>> fine.
>>
>> When I use the wireless connexion, the transfer speed is very low, despite
>> the signal strength is reported as high by Windows (XP-Pro sp2). For
>> example, copying a 5 Meg file from one computer to the other takes several
>> minutes. This performance is observed even with the laptop is at less
>> than 6 feet from the router.
>>
>> This doesn't only occurs with network operations but with internet as
>> well.. For example, Outlook Express times out while sending e-mails with
>> attachments !
>>
>> The router security is temporarily set to a minimal level - just to make
>> sure it's not what is causing the problem.
>>

>> Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this problem ?
>>
>> Thanks.

Hi Michel,

I'm not replying to tell you I have a solution to your problem -
unfortunately!!! It's somewhat comforting to know I am not alone with my
WOWS.

I have 'Road Runner' using a 'Motorola' router which is hardwired by a Cat-5
cable to my Windows '98 PC. I have virtually no problems with speed and
connectivity to the internet on this main computer. However, my laptop which
has a built-in (internal) wireless network card is very problematic when
using the internet. I experience many of the same issues as you described.

I've had my Cable Company (Time Warner) come out and replace the router.
They even provided me with a new (external) wireless network card for my
laptop. Still no change.

Next, I sent my laptop back to manufacturer to investigate any problems with
it... They said everything was fine with the laptop. Unfortunately I have no
solution yet.

If I hear of any I will let you know and would you do the same?

THANKS
Steve Davenport

Thanks to both of you for answering.

While my problem is not completely solved, I made some progress after a
call to D-Link technical support:

First, I upgraded the router's firmware to the latest version..
(make sure to save your current settings before because, despite what
it's said on the web site, this resets all your setting to factory
default).

Second, (and most important), since my PC card is *NOT* a D-Link but an
Intel/Pro 2200bg, I set the "Super G mode" in the router to "Disabled".

I now have an acceptable transfer rate.. both to my lan and to the
internet

I now have to figure how to keep this connection alive for more than 30
minutes... :-@

I guess the case is not closed, but has chaged direction...

TRENDING THREADS