Internal USB connection in Intel D865GBF MB

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Connection
  • Intel
  • Motherboards
  • USB
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2004 8:45:31 PM

I've got a Intel D865GBF motherboard in one of my machines. I'm trying to
put in a 7-in-1 multi reader but the unit requires an internal USB
connection. This is a CompUSA reader made by Mitsumi and the internal cable
is built into the reader and has a female 4-pin connector on it which they
say calls for a USB 2 connection on the motherboard. Anyone familiar with
this board? Where can I connect the 4-pin connector? It's labeled = +5v,
data -, data +, Gnd. There is an 10-pin connector on the board which has
USB 2 printed near it. I don't see anything else printed that would match up
with the reader connector. Not sure if this is the correct place or which
set of 4-pins I should try.

Thanks.

More about : internal usb connection intel d865gbf

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2004 9:43:53 PM

I'll reply to my own message here. I figured it out and the reader is
working fine. Determined to use the 5x2 onboard connector pins, I used a
voltmeter to determine the correct pins and polarity of the +5v and Gnd.
Hoping the Data - and Data + were in correct order in between, I attached
the reader 4-pin connector to the 4 onboard pins I'd identified and it
worked. I guess the 5x2 onboard connector is a header for front panel USB
connections. I've never used this header before. I wonder what the 5th pin
is for?
Thanks anyway.

"jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've got a Intel D865GBF motherboard in one of my machines. I'm trying to
> put in a 7-in-1 multi reader but the unit requires an internal USB
> connection. This is a CompUSA reader made by Mitsumi and the internal
cable
> is built into the reader and has a female 4-pin connector on it which they
> say calls for a USB 2 connection on the motherboard. Anyone familiar with
> this board? Where can I connect the 4-pin connector? It's labeled = +5v,
> data -, data +, Gnd. There is an 10-pin connector on the board which has
> USB 2 printed near it. I don't see anything else printed that would match
up
> with the reader connector. Not sure if this is the correct place or which
> set of 4-pins I should try.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2004 2:16:43 AM

jch wrote:

> I'll reply to my own message here. I figured it out and the reader is
> working fine. Determined to use the 5x2 onboard connector pins, I used a
> voltmeter to determine the correct pins and polarity of the +5v and Gnd.
> Hoping the Data - and Data + were in correct order in between, I attached
> the reader 4-pin connector to the 4 onboard pins I'd identified and it
> worked. I guess the 5x2 onboard connector is a header for front panel USB
> connections. I've never used this header before. I wonder what the 5th pin
> is for?
> Thanks anyway.

..

You can find the pinouts for the Front Panel USB connector on the D865GBF
support site:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d...

The extra pin is a No Connect. The connector is keyed, with the No Connect pin
on one side and a missing pin on the other side.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2004 3:56:20 AM

"steven67@" <steven67@REMOVE_THISmindspring.com> wrote in message
> jch wrote:
>
> > I'll reply to my own message here. I figured it out and the reader is
> > working fine. Determined to use the 5x2 onboard connector pins, I used a
> > voltmeter to determine the correct pins and polarity of the +5v and Gnd.
> > Hoping the Data - and Data + were in correct order in between, I
attached
> > the reader 4-pin connector to the 4 onboard pins I'd identified and it
> > worked. I guess the 5x2 onboard connector is a header for front panel
USB
> > connections. I've never used this header before. I wonder what the 5th
pin
> > is for?
> > Thanks anyway.
>
> .
>
> You can find the pinouts for the Front Panel USB connector on the D865GBF
> support site:
> http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d...
>
> The extra pin is a No Connect. The connector is keyed, with the No
Connect pin
> on one side and a missing pin on the other side.

Thanks. If I hadn't had my trusty voltmeter, this link would have been
vital. Strange though. I don't remember the missing pin.
!