Betson Vs. Wells Gardner - any Final recomendation?

joeblow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004

Hi guys, i am new to this group and i have spent the last few days
reading posts and reviews on Retroblast, BYOAC's forums and elsewhere.

I have not seen any recent talk (last few months) on the great Arcade
Monitor debate, and i am wondering if i am missing any important
information.

I just purchased a slickstick arcade machine and avga card, and now
the final piece - the monitor - is next.

What is the general consensus? Is it still between these two? I live
in NY and am leaning towards the 27" Betson Multisync vs. the D9200
but only because i can pick up the Monitor in NJ. I know that Kevin
(from posts i read) was leaning toward the Betson when it died after 6
months - has anyone else had similar experiances?

I really appreciate any feedback as this will be the most important
part of my mame cabinet... thanks!

Joe

thought about it a bit, then said...
> Hi guys, i am new to this group and i have spent the last few days
> reading posts and reviews on Retroblast, BYOAC's forums and elsewhere.
>
> I have not seen any recent talk (last few months) on the great Arcade
> Monitor debate, and i am wondering if i am missing any important
> information.
>
> I just purchased a slickstick arcade machine and avga card, and now
> the final piece - the monitor - is next.
>
> What is the general consensus? Is it still between these two? I live
> in NY and am leaning towards the 27" Betson Multisync vs. the D9200
> but only because i can pick up the Monitor in NJ. I know that Kevin
> (from posts i read) was leaning toward the Betson when it died after 6
> months - has anyone else had similar experiances?
>
> I really appreciate any feedback as this will be the most important
> part of my mame cabinet... thanks!
>
> Joe

They're both fairly close in performance (I do prefer the Betson), but
right now my recommendation is to get the one that you can pick up (in
your case, the Betson) - saves a lot in shipping and it also means you
can get it repaired quickly and cheaply if necessary.

Reliability seems to be a major problem in these arcade monitors,
whether because of the design or just rough handling in shipping.
Picking one up yourself helps reduce the chances that a shipper drops
the box or decides to roll it to your doorstep...

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

I have the Betson based on Kevin's review and love it. Some people have
reported some problems with them, but maybe I was lucky as mine seems to
work perfectly (it's about 8 months old now I believe).

I too have the Betson 27" multi sync (44-4070-rt) based upon Kevin's review
and am completely & totally happy with it!! Almost plug and play, with the
integrated VGA cable, and the configured AVGA card. The tedious part was
just adjusting the screen size to fit all of the different resolutions.

I live near Seattle and made the 2-1/2 hour drive to the Betson place in
Portland, OR. Bryan Corbett down there is awesome, he unboxed it for me
right there and ran it through test cycles on each resolution for me before
I left the shop! Not one problem though!

I can't speak to the WG, other than its more $$, plus I would have had to
have it shipped, which wasn't appealing to me, preferring a face to work
with if something goes wrong (nothing has).

Good luck whatever you decide!! Chris

<joeblow@blow.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, i am new to this group and i have spent the last few days
> reading posts and reviews on Retroblast, BYOAC's forums and elsewhere.
>
> I have not seen any recent talk (last few months) on the great Arcade
> Monitor debate, and i am wondering if i am missing any important
> information.
>
> I just purchased a slickstick arcade machine and avga card, and now
> the final piece - the monitor - is next.
>
> What is the general consensus? Is it still between these two? I live
> in NY and am leaning towards the 27" Betson Multisync vs. the D9200
> but only because i can pick up the Monitor in NJ. I know that Kevin
> (from posts i read) was leaning toward the Betson when it died after 6
> months - has anyone else had similar experiances?
>
> I really appreciate any feedback as this will be the most important
> part of my mame cabinet... thanks!
>
> Joe

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Chris K wrote in alt.games.mame:

> I too have the Betson 27" multi sync (44-4070-rt) based upon Kevin's review
> and am completely & totally happy with it!! Almost plug and play, with the

Damn! thats 2 in just this thread. Hey Kev, I hope they take care of you
:)

The above comment is not menat to insinuate anything, it is genuine
and I beleive if your reviews sell their monitors they should be thanking
you somehow, I mean your not Consumer Reports :)

--
David
A Linux machine! Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste!

SINNER thought about it a bit, then said...
> * Chris K wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
> > I too have the Betson 27" multi sync (44-4070-rt) based upon Kevin's review
> > and am completely & totally happy with it!! Almost plug and play, with the
>
> Damn! thats 2 in just this thread. Hey Kev, I hope they take care of you
> :)
>
> The above comment is not menat to insinuate anything, it is genuine
> and I beleive if your reviews sell their monitors they should be thanking
> you somehow, I mean your not Consumer Reports :)

Betson has provided me with equipment "at cost", but that's it. They
have mentioned they've gotten a number of sales from my reviews, though.

No cash or freebies, though...I guess I _am_ Consumer Reports... ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

LOL
Kevin Steele: Consumer advocate and faithful watchdog for the BYOAC
community!
(I do wonder how much he paid for HIS monitor though... :)

"SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
>* Chris K wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>> I too have the Betson 27" multi sync (44-4070-rt) based upon Kevin's
>> review
>> and am completely & totally happy with it!! Almost plug and play, with
>> the
>
> Damn! thats 2 in just this thread. Hey Kev, I hope they take care of you
> :)
>
> The above comment is not menat to insinuate anything, it is genuine
> and I beleive if your reviews sell their monitors they should be thanking
> you somehow, I mean your not Consumer Reports :)
>
> --
> David
> A Linux machine! Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste!
> -- Joe Sloan, jjs@wintermute.ucr.edu

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Chris K wrote:
> LOL
> Kevin Steele: Consumer advocate and faithful watchdog for the BYOAC
> community!
> (I do wonder how much he paid for HIS monitor though... :)

didnt he just state costs only?

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making