RAM selection help needed please

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Any help appreciated as I do not understand RAM that well -- I know I need
DDR 400Mhz PC3200 RAM for a 64bit system I am building with this
motherboard
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=630739&Tab=10&NoMapp=0
but there seem to be all sorts of DDR 400Mhz memory types -- Overclocking,
Dual Channel, etc. I want a minimum of 1GB, and the mother board has 3
slots for a total of 3GB max. I want fast memory as I am building this
systme for speed. My main purpose of a fast system with lots of fast RAM
is for image editing of large images. I want to be able to do digital
editing and layering of 16"x20" 300dpi images. So what type of DDR 400Mhz
RAM do I want, what brand, overclocking, low latency, dual channel? All a
bit confusing to me.
8 answers Last reply
More about selection needed please
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    news:pan.2004.06.17.19.25.47.957599@nowhere.net...
    > Any help appreciated as I do not understand RAM that well -- I know I need
    > DDR 400Mhz PC3200 RAM for a 64bit system I am building with this
    > motherboard
    >
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=630739&Tab=10&NoMapp=0
    > but there seem to be all sorts of DDR 400Mhz memory types -- Overclocking,
    > Dual Channel, etc. I want a minimum of 1GB, and the mother board has 3
    > slots for a total of 3GB max. I want fast memory as I am building this
    > systme for speed. My main purpose of a fast system with lots of fast RAM
    > is for image editing of large images. I want to be able to do digital
    > editing and layering of 16"x20" 300dpi images. So what type of DDR 400Mhz
    > RAM do I want, what brand, overclocking, low latency, dual channel? All a
    > bit confusing to me.
    >

    I'm offline, so I can't see what type of motherboard you are using. Keep it
    simple. Go to www.crucial.com and select your motherboard from the list.
    Done! -Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:26:02 -0500, Beowulf wrote:

    > Any help appreciated as I do not understand RAM that well -- I know I need
    > DDR 400Mhz PC3200 RAM for a 64bit system I am building with this
    > motherboard
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=630739&Tab=10&NoMapp=0
    > but there seem to be all sorts of DDR 400Mhz memory types -- Overclocking,
    > Dual Channel, etc. I want a minimum of 1GB, and the mother board has 3
    > slots for a total of 3GB max. I want fast memory as I am building this
    > systme for speed. My main purpose of a fast system with lots of fast RAM
    > is for image editing of large images. I want to be able to do digital
    > editing and layering of 16"x20" 300dpi images. So what type of DDR 400Mhz
    > RAM do I want, what brand, overclocking, low latency, dual channel? All a
    > bit confusing to me.

    Sounds like you might overclock it, then I'd suggest 512M stick(s) of
    pc3700 or faster. That cpu doesn't do dual channel, so forget that.
    Looking at ram prices at Tiger, I sure as hell wouldn't buy from them
    either. This looks like a good buy. Check out the reviews.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-211-123&depa=1

    --
    Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:33:42 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
    ...
    > Sounds like you might overclock it, then I'd suggest 512M stick(s) of
    > pc3700 or faster. ...

    So if a system says it uses PC3200 400Mhz DDR, is it ok to use something
    like PC3500 or PC3700 that is 433Mhz DDR, because faster RAM can always be
    used-- it adjusts down in speed or frequency as needed when in a
    motherboard?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:26:02 -0500, Beowulf <beowulf@nowhere.net>
    wrote:

    >Any help appreciated as I do not understand RAM that well -- I know I need
    >DDR 400Mhz PC3200 RAM for a 64bit system I am building with this
    >motherboard
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=630739&Tab=10&NoMapp=0
    >but there seem to be all sorts of DDR 400Mhz memory types -- Overclocking,
    >Dual Channel, etc. I want a minimum of 1GB, and the mother board has 3
    >slots for a total of 3GB max. I want fast memory as I am building this
    >systme for speed. My main purpose of a fast system with lots of fast RAM
    >is for image editing of large images. I want to be able to do digital
    >editing and layering of 16"x20" 300dpi images. So what type of DDR 400Mhz
    >RAM do I want, what brand, overclocking, low latency, dual channel? All a
    >bit confusing to me.

    Hi Beo,

    Just a couple thoughts:
    1. Your Asus - K8V Deluxe motherboard uses a Socket 754 Athlon64
    chip. Socket 754 uses single channel memory, and according to
    Anandtech: "please keep in mind that Socket 754 is single-channel and
    will still operate at top speed with just one DIMM." If you plan on
    filling all 3 of your memory slots, you may have to slow your memory
    timings to accomodate. You can read more about it in this article:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2063
    Any chance you can hold out for a Socket 939 Athlon64 board that will
    accommodate dual channel memory?
    2. The Asus - K8V Deluxe uses the Via K8T800 chipset with its
    hypertransport speed limited to 800mhz(IIRC). If you get a K8T800 Pro
    motherboard, hypertransport runs at the full 1000mhz. This may enable
    you to get the most out of whatever memory you choose.

    I offer these thoughts not as an expert, but as someone researching
    components similar to yours. If I'm confused about this, I hope the
    real experts out there will pipe in and set me straight.

    Yassir
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:14:54 +0000, wrote:
    ....
    > Just a couple thoughts:
    > 1. Your Asus - K8V Deluxe motherboard uses a Socket 754 Athlon64
    > chip. Socket 754 uses single channel memory, and according to
    > Anandtech: "please keep in mind that Socket 754 is single-channel and
    > will still operate at top speed with just one DIMM." If you plan on
    > filling all 3 of your memory slots, you may have to slow your memory
    > timings to accomodate. You can read more about it in this article:
    > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2063
    > Any chance you can hold out for a Socket 939 Athlon64 board that will
    > accommodate dual channel memory?
    > 2. The Asus - K8V Deluxe uses the Via K8T800 chipset with its
    > hypertransport speed limited to 800mhz(IIRC). If you get a K8T800 Pro
    > motherboard, hypertransport runs at the full 1000mhz. This may enable
    > you to get the most out of whatever memory you choose.
    ....

    Very interesting, thank you! What you say makes sense, as I have been
    learning about memory these past couple of days. I just learned today more
    about dual channel memory, and I think it would be smart to go that
    route-- I might just wait. Definately continue to learn more. Dual
    channel would give me faster rendering of images I would think when doing
    photoshop filters, etc.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:20:01 -0500, Beowulf <beowulf@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:33:42 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
    >..
    >> Sounds like you might overclock it, then I'd suggest 512M stick(s) of
    >> pc3700 or faster. ...
    >
    >So if a system says it uses PC3200 400Mhz DDR, is it ok to use something
    >like PC3500 or PC3700 that is 433Mhz DDR, because faster RAM can always be
    >used-- it adjusts down in speed or frequency as needed when in a
    >motherboard?


    Faster memory can be used, BUT, often for the same price you can get lower
    CAS rating in the speed you actually need.

    On the other hand, this isn't really the path to take, rather it would be
    prudent to visit Asus' website and see what they qualified for use with
    the board, and visit a large motherboard forum like that at
    http://forums.amdmb.com , Asus motherboard section, where you'll likely
    find fellow users of that board, able to provide their experiences with
    it.

    Alternatively, http://www.crucial.com is a popular memory source and with
    guaranteed compatbility you can't go wrong.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:39:05 -0500, Beowulf <beowulf@nowhere.net>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:14:54 +0000, wrote:
    >...
    >> Just a couple thoughts:
    >> 1. Your Asus - K8V Deluxe motherboard uses a Socket 754 Athlon64
    >> chip. Socket 754 uses single channel memory, and according to
    >> Anandtech: "please keep in mind that Socket 754 is single-channel and
    >> will still operate at top speed with just one DIMM." If you plan on
    >> filling all 3 of your memory slots, you may have to slow your memory
    >> timings to accomodate. You can read more about it in this article:
    >> http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2063
    >> Any chance you can hold out for a Socket 939 Athlon64 board that will
    >> accommodate dual channel memory?
    >> 2. The Asus - K8V Deluxe uses the Via K8T800 chipset with its
    >> hypertransport speed limited to 800mhz(IIRC). If you get a K8T800 Pro
    >> motherboard, hypertransport runs at the full 1000mhz. This may enable
    >> you to get the most out of whatever memory you choose.
    >...
    >
    >Very interesting, thank you! What you say makes sense, as I have been
    >learning about memory these past couple of days. I just learned today more
    >about dual channel memory, and I think it would be smart to go that
    >route-- I might just wait. Definately continue to learn more. Dual
    >channel would give me faster rendering of images I would think when doing
    >photoshop filters, etc.

    You might want to look into opteron dual cpu boards with support for
    memory beyond 1Gig using ECC memory.

    Several Gigs of memory would probably help the most.

    The big sticks are expensive, but you can bypass the waiting around
    for expensive new 939 stuff that won't really support large memory
    pools anyway.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:27:28 -0700, jones <jones@nospamnospam.com>
    wrote:


    >
    >You might want to look into opteron dual cpu boards with support for
    >memory beyond 1Gig using ECC memory.
    >
    >Several Gigs of memory would probably help the most.
    >
    >The big sticks are expensive, but you can bypass the waiting around
    >for expensive new 939 stuff that won't really support large memory
    >pools anyway.
    >


    Sorry, I see you've got a motherboard already.

    Suggest you double check the amount of ram your motherboard will
    support. Although there's 3 slots, I've heard K8T800 may not support
    more than 2 Gigs gracefully (more than 2 slots with large sticks).

    The K8T800 doesn't overclock worth much, so I'd go for PC3200 ram with
    faster timings. If your motherboard and the ram spd are happy with
    each other, you won't have to mess around playing with timings
    manually which can happen with pc3500, pc3700, pc4000, etc.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Hardware RAM Systems Product