Mushkin DDR 3200 can't handle 200 Mhz bus?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Bus
  • DDR
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 1:25:11 AM

I bought a stick of this
<http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...;
for my Abit NF7-S, but when I run it at 200 mhz I get errors in Memtest
86. I even tried raising the voltage to 2.8V, and also forcing timings
of 3 and 2.5-4-4 (whereas 2.5-3-3 is autodetected), neither made any
noticeable difference as the errors persist.

Isn't DDR3200 supposed to run on a 200 MHZ bus? I didn't think this
would be overclocking.

Thanks.

More about : mushkin ddr 3200 handle 200 mhz bus

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 7:52:01 AM

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:25:11 -0600, timeOday wrote:

> I bought a stick of this
> <http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...;
> for my Abit NF7-S, but when I run it at 200 mhz I get errors in Memtest
> 86. I even tried raising the voltage to 2.8V, and also forcing timings
> of 3 and 2.5-4-4 (whereas 2.5-3-3 is autodetected), neither made any
> noticeable difference as the errors persist.
>
> Isn't DDR3200 supposed to run on a 200 MHZ bus? I didn't think this
> would be overclocking.

Yes, but there's a lot of PC3200 ram that won't. That's why I always
recommend something faster, and I take a few hits for that. My PC3700 ram
won't do 233MHz either, but I knew of that possibilty when I bought it and
I only needed it to run about 215MHz, and it does that with low latency.

a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 7:52:02 AM

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:25:11 -0600, timeOday wrote:
>

>>I bought a stick of this
>><http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...;
>>for my Abit NF7-S, but when I run it at 200 mhz I get errors in Memtest
>>86. I even tried raising the voltage to 2.8V, and also forcing timings
>>of 3 and 2.5-4-4 (whereas 2.5-3-3 is autodetected), neither made any
>>noticeable difference as the errors persist.
>>
>>Isn't DDR3200 supposed to run on a 200 MHZ bus? I didn't think this
>>would be overclocking.
>>

> Yes, but there's a lot of PC3200 ram that won't. That's why I always
> recommend something faster, and I take a few hits for that. My PC3700 ram
> won't do 233MHz either, but I knew of that possibilty when I bought it and
> I only needed it to run about 215MHz, and it does that with low latency.

What makes me mad is I could have bought no-name PC3700 cheaper than
Mushkin 3200. I thought paying a little premium would be worth it, now
I know better.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 11:55:39 AM

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:08:12 -0600, timeOday wrote:

> What makes me mad is I could have bought no-name PC3700 cheaper than
> Mushkin 3200. I thought paying a little premium would be worth it, now
> I know better.

I think Mushkin has a good warranty, so they should make good on it,
maybe. Won't hurt to check.

June 20, 2004 8:29:43 PM

Mushkin is an excellent memory manufacturer with a lifetime warranty on all
memory, so first, check out the troubleshooting info for this motherboard
with their memory at
http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushkin.storefront/EN/Pro...,
then call or e-mail them if the memory is found to be defective, and they'll
replace it for you promptly. We build all of our custom-made systems using
Mushkin, and I've only seen one module from them report any Memtest errors,
which they replaced within one hour (we're located in Denver, a few miles
from the Mushkin headquarters.)

Good luck in solving your problem.
--
Russell Sullivan
http://tastycomputers.com

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.06.20.08.02.36.659823@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:08:12 -0600, timeOday wrote:
>
> > What makes me mad is I could have bought no-name PC3700 cheaper than
> > Mushkin 3200. I thought paying a little premium would be worth it, now
> > I know better.
>
> I think Mushkin has a good warranty, so they should make good on it,
> maybe. Won't hurt to check.

June 22, 2004 3:52:31 PM

<timeOday-UNSPAM@theknack.net> wrote:

>Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:25:11 -0600, timeOday wrote:
>>

>>>I bought a stick of this
>>><http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...;
>>>for my Abit NF7-S, but when I run it at 200 mhz I get errors in Memtest
>>>86. I even tried raising the voltage to 2.8V, and also forcing timings
>>>of 3 and 2.5-4-4 (whereas 2.5-3-3 is autodetected), neither made any
>>>noticeable difference as the errors persist.
>>>
>>>Isn't DDR3200 supposed to run on a 200 MHZ bus? I didn't think this
>>>would be overclocking.
>>>

>> Yes, but there's a lot of PC3200 ram that won't. That's why I always
>> recommend something faster, and I take a few hits for that. My PC3700 ram
>> won't do 233MHz either, but I knew of that possibilty when I bought it and
>> I only needed it to run about 215MHz, and it does that with low latency.
>>

>What makes me mad is I could have bought no-name PC3700 cheaper than
>Mushkin 3200. I thought paying a little premium would be worth it, now
>I know better.

Both mushkin and newegg stand behind their stuff. One or the other
will replace it. That's what's worth paying for.
!