Mushkin DDR 3200 can't handle 200 Mhz bus?

I bought a stick of this
<http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-219&depa=0>
for my Abit NF7-S, but when I run it at 200 mhz I get errors in Memtest
86. I even tried raising the voltage to 2.8V, and also forcing timings
of 3 and 2.5-4-4 (whereas 2.5-3-3 is autodetected), neither made any
noticeable difference as the errors persist.

Isn't DDR3200 supposed to run on a 200 MHZ bus? I didn't think this
would be overclocking.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about mushkin 3200 handle

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:25:11 -0600, timeOday wrote:

    > I bought a stick of this
    > <http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-219&depa=0>
    > for my Abit NF7-S, but when I run it at 200 mhz I get errors in Memtest
    > 86. I even tried raising the voltage to 2.8V, and also forcing timings
    > of 3 and 2.5-4-4 (whereas 2.5-3-3 is autodetected), neither made any
    > noticeable difference as the errors persist.
    >
    > Isn't DDR3200 supposed to run on a 200 MHZ bus? I didn't think this
    > would be overclocking.

    Yes, but there's a lot of PC3200 ram that won't. That's why I always
    recommend something faster, and I take a few hits for that. My PC3700 ram
    won't do 233MHz either, but I knew of that possibilty when I bought it and
    I only needed it to run about 215MHz, and it does that with low latency.

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:25:11 -0600, timeOday wrote:
    >

    >>I bought a stick of this
    >><http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-219&depa=0>
    >>for my Abit NF7-S, but when I run it at 200 mhz I get errors in Memtest
    >>86. I even tried raising the voltage to 2.8V, and also forcing timings
    >>of 3 and 2.5-4-4 (whereas 2.5-3-3 is autodetected), neither made any
    >>noticeable difference as the errors persist.
    >>
    >>Isn't DDR3200 supposed to run on a 200 MHZ bus? I didn't think this
    >>would be overclocking.
    >>

    > Yes, but there's a lot of PC3200 ram that won't. That's why I always
    > recommend something faster, and I take a few hits for that. My PC3700 ram
    > won't do 233MHz either, but I knew of that possibilty when I bought it and
    > I only needed it to run about 215MHz, and it does that with low latency.

    What makes me mad is I could have bought no-name PC3700 cheaper than
    Mushkin 3200. I thought paying a little premium would be worth it, now
    I know better.

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:08:12 -0600, timeOday wrote:

    > What makes me mad is I could have bought no-name PC3700 cheaper than
    > Mushkin 3200. I thought paying a little premium would be worth it, now
    > I know better.

    I think Mushkin has a good warranty, so they should make good on it,
    maybe. Won't hurt to check.

    Mushkin is an excellent memory manufacturer with a lifetime warranty on all
    memory, so first, check out the troubleshooting info for this motherboard
    with their memory at
    http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushkin.storefront/EN/Product/990879#abitnf7-s,
    then call or e-mail them if the memory is found to be defective, and they'll
    replace it for you promptly. We build all of our custom-made systems using
    Mushkin, and I've only seen one module from them report any Memtest errors,
    which they replaced within one hour (we're located in Denver, a few miles
    from the Mushkin headquarters.)

    Good luck in solving your problem.
    --
    Russell Sullivan
    http://tastycomputers.com

    <timeOday-UNSPAM@theknack.net> wrote:

    >Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:25:11 -0600, timeOday wrote:
    >>

    >>>I bought a stick of this
    >>><http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-219&depa=0>
    >>>for my Abit NF7-S, but when I run it at 200 mhz I get errors in Memtest
    >>>86. I even tried raising the voltage to 2.8V, and also forcing timings
    >>>of 3 and 2.5-4-4 (whereas 2.5-3-3 is autodetected), neither made any
    >>>noticeable difference as the errors persist.
    >>>
    >>>Isn't DDR3200 supposed to run on a 200 MHZ bus? I didn't think this
    >>>would be overclocking.
    >>>

    >> Yes, but there's a lot of PC3200 ram that won't. That's why I always
    >> recommend something faster, and I take a few hits for that. My PC3700 ram
    >> won't do 233MHz either, but I knew of that possibilty when I bought it and
    >> I only needed it to run about 215MHz, and it does that with low latency.
    >>

    >What makes me mad is I could have bought no-name PC3700 cheaper than
    >Mushkin 3200. I thought paying a little premium would be worth it, now
    >I know better.

    Both mushkin and newegg stand behind their stuff. One or the other
    will replace it. That's what's worth paying for.

Homebuilt Bus DDR Systems