Socket A scavanger challenge

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Time for our hobbyist competition to see who can build the cheapest working
box with scrounged parts.
To keep it interesting; and give tinkerers a chance to compete with the guys
that do it on the side for profit; this year we have to buy a new socket A
motherboard.

Been looking at suppliers and Ebay, and finding some dirt cheap ones made by
ECS. Are they any good, stable enough to stand up to torture tests by
judges? (providing the memory and cpu are up to it)

After socket 7; PCChips boards guess I don't trust them enough to even
consider that brand.

Help; I need cheap and adequate. Will find one based on specs of parts I
have, but need some anecdotes of folks that have used the brand (or other
cheapies)

Thanks
Mark

--
Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

steveh

"pheasant" <kiavan02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Time for our hobbyist competition to see who can build the cheapest
working
> box with scrounged parts.
> To keep it interesting; and give tinkerers a chance to compete with the
guys
> that do it on the side for profit; this year we have to buy a new socket A
> motherboard.
>
> Been looking at suppliers and Ebay, and finding some dirt cheap ones made
by
> ECS. Are they any good, stable enough to stand up to torture tests by
> judges? (providing the memory and cpu are up to it)
>
> After socket 7; PCChips boards guess I don't trust them enough to even
> consider that brand.
>
> Help; I need cheap and adequate. Will find one based on specs of parts I
> have, but need some anecdotes of folks that have used the brand (or other
> cheapies)
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Well, as PCChips and ECS are the same company...

Steve