No film to remove from heatsink on my AMD 2800+ ???

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hello,

Im in the middle of building my new PC and I got little stuck. So quick help
would be greatly appreciated

Every tutorial tells me to remove plastic film from the bottom of my
heatsink. Well.. my heatsink (came with AMD athlon 2800+) does not appear to
have that film.
There is only square of a gray substance on the bottom of it. I tried to
remove a little bit of it to see if this is what Im supposed to remove but
this looks like thermal paste, I THINK. Should I remove that, or not??

Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> There is only square of a gray substance on the bottom of it. I tried to
> remove a little bit of it to see if this is what Im supposed to remove but
> this looks like thermal paste, I THINK. Should I remove that, or not??

That's exactly what it is. I just finished installing a P3.2 processor
(retail) and that was what my fan/heatsink had on it, perfect fit for the
processor... I would not even touch it, for fear of disturbing the nice
coverage it made of the processor.

Good luck.
PRiveraSr

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:15:39 +0000, Ben wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im in the middle of building my new PC and I got little stuck. So quick help
> would be greatly appreciated
>
> Every tutorial tells me to remove plastic film from the bottom of my
> heatsink. Well.. my heatsink (came with AMD athlon 2800+) does not appear to
> have that film.
> There is only square of a gray substance on the bottom of it. I tried to
> remove a little bit of it to see if this is what Im supposed to remove but
> this looks like thermal paste, I THINK. Should I remove that, or not??

Well, that's the standard interface material. Some use it as is, but I
prefer to remove it and use a standard thermal compound for better
performance. If you've installed and removed the cooler with this
compound, remove it and replace it with thermal paste as it's only for a
one time installation and not for reuse. You's probably be better off with
a different cooler to start with. The stock coolers that come with the
32bit cpu's aren't that good. Now if it's a 64, then they come with very
decent coolers.

Apollo

Ben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im in the middle of building my new PC and I got little stuck. So
> quick help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Every tutorial tells me to remove plastic film from the bottom of my
> heatsink. Well.. my heatsink (came with AMD athlon 2800+) does not
> appear to have that film.
> There is only square of a gray substance on the bottom of it. I
> tried to remove a little bit of it to see if this is what Im supposed
> to remove but this looks like thermal paste, I THINK. Should I
> remove that, or not??

It seems odd that there was no plastic film on the bubblegum, I've only
installed half a dozen retail AMD's and they all had it. I personally would
either return it or remove it and use proper thermal compound. The surface
of the TIM will be contaminated with dust and fibres, the plastic is there
to protect it.

--
Ian

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Do not remove it, or you will void warranty of the processor!!!

My Pentium 2.8E heatsink came just like yours AMD, only the termal substance
and no plastic to remove. It is working!

Charles

My computer has the Retail XP2800 and I used the paste that came with
the retail cooler and it works great for me. I do not overclock and
have not checked my temperatures because it runs so great. The Stock
Cooler is pretty quiet. I have mine on an Asus A7N8X 400 and in an
Antec SLK3700AMB and it has been running great for 6 months. I have
been playing Halo with no problems.

Apollo wrote:
> Ben wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Im in the middle of building my new PC and I got little stuck. So
>>quick help would be greatly appreciated
>>
>>Every tutorial tells me to remove plastic film from the bottom of my
>>heatsink. Well.. my heatsink (came with AMD athlon 2800+) does not
>>appear to have that film.
>>There is only square of a gray substance on the bottom of it. I
>>tried to remove a little bit of it to see if this is what Im supposed
>>to remove but this looks like thermal paste, I THINK. Should I
>>remove that, or not??
>
> It seems odd that there was no plastic film on the bubblegum, I've only
> installed half a dozen retail AMD's and they all had it. I personally would
> either return it or remove it and use proper thermal compound. The surface
> of the TIM will be contaminated with dust and fibres, the plastic is there
> to protect it.

Mine had no plastic film (Athlon 2800). It's been working fine for months.

--
Paul

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Ben" <ben@ben.com> astounded us with:

> Hello,
>
> Im in the middle of building my new PC and I got little stuck. So quick
> help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Every tutorial tells me to remove plastic film from the bottom of my
> heatsink. Well.. my heatsink (came with AMD athlon 2800+) does not
> appear to have that film.
> There is only square of a gray substance on the bottom of it. I tried
> to remove a little bit of it to see if this is what Im supposed to
> remove but this looks like thermal paste, I THINK. Should I remove
> that, or not??
>
> Thanks

With the later packaging, the bottom of the HSF is protected by a plastic
base standing proud of the TIM, remove the plastic base and you're good to
go.