CPU and mobo fan comes on but nothing else

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Well, the moment of truth finally came to me..

After hours of building my first new system I powered it on and..... nothing
came on except for the CPU fan and the mobo fan.

Any clues?

I have Abit NF7 with AMD Athlon 2800+ , 1 stick of 512 DDR400 Kingston
(installed on DIMM3) and floppy. That is all the system has at this point.

Thank you

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I forgot to add that I also had video card plugged in (obviously).
There are no beeps and the hard drive does no seem to make any noise either

Joe wrote:

> Well, the moment of truth finally came to me..
>
> After hours of building my first new system I powered it on and..... nothing
> came on except for the CPU fan and the mobo fan.
>
> Any clues?

If the installation is o.k., may be the Athlon is dead...

roy

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:33:54 +0200, Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Joe wrote:
>
>> Well, the moment of truth finally came to me..
>>
>> After hours of building my first new system I powered it on and..... nothing
>> came on except for the CPU fan and the mobo fan.
>>
>> Any clues?
>
>If the installation is o.k., may be the Athlon is dead...
>
>roy

Unless the heatsink wasn't properly mated with the CPU, the odds are
overwhelming that, that is not the problem.

It is the typical "system won't post" problem, a Google search should find
a step-by-step troubleshooting method. For example, checking cards and
cables, including correct pins for all cables, reassessing the adequacy of
the power supply, checking jumpers, clearing CMOS, checking for misplaced
or extra/unneeded motherboard standoffs, taking power supply voltage
readings, etc, etc.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi Joe,
Here's what I'd do:
put the memory module in slot one.
Pick a video card, and remove the other one.
Pull the cable out of ide channel 2 and unplug power from chanel 2 devices
if any.
Disconnect drive 2 on the primary ide cable and remove power plug from it.
Pull out any cards in the slots.
Now you should have a basic set up consisting of only the power supply,
mother board, cpu/fan, video card, memory, and hard drive.

Power on and see what happens.

Al

Mouse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

I would actually go even more basic, you go for power supply, mother
board, and CPU/fan, and see whether it gets anywhere, if any luck it
should beep to complain about no memory, graphics card and then
hard-drive. Then you start adding these one by one.

-Alby Hewlet wrote:

> Hi Joe,
> Here's what I'd do:
> put the memory module in slot one.
> Pick a video card, and remove the other one.
> Pull the cable out of ide channel 2 and unplug power from chanel 2 devices
> if any.
> Disconnect drive 2 on the primary ide cable and remove power plug from it.
> Pull out any cards in the slots.
> Now you should have a basic set up consisting of only the power supply,
> mother board, cpu/fan, video card, memory, and hard drive.
>
> Power on and see what happens.
>
> Al

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Problem soleved!
I have a dead memory slot on my mobo. The other memory slot seems to be
fine, althoug works only on 333MHz instead of 400Mhz
Oh, well at least it boots now.

Thanks