monitor recommendations?

My monitor died <sniff>. So, I'm in the market for a new one. 17 inch.
Recommendations welcomed. What do you all think of LCD monitors (saw a
Sony HS73 at Staples?)

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

More about monitor recommendations

    Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
    you want to spend?

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:10:49 -0600, Chris Simpson wrote:

    > nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    >> My monitor died <sniff>. So, I'm in the market for a new one. 17 inch.
    >> Recommendations welcomed. What do you all think of LCD monitors (saw a
    >> Sony HS73 at Staples?)
    >>
    > Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
    > you want to spend?

    This answer puzzles me a bit since I've been using CRT's since about 1952,
    and that's all anyone used for monitors for years. Perhaps you meant
    something besides CRT (Cathode Ray Tube).

    In <rIidnbwotspAjUTdRVn_iw@mho.net>, on 06/22/04
    at 11:10 PM, Chris Simpson <Chriss@mho.com> said:

    >Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
    >you want to spend?

    As little as possible, for a good one. :) How are Samsung CRTs (such as
    the 793mb?)

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:10:49 -0600, Chris Simpson wrote:

    >>Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
    >>you want to spend?
    >>

    > This answer puzzles me a bit since I've been using CRT's since about 1952,
    > and that's all anyone used for monitors for years. ...

    As nearly everybody is going LCD, the last CRTs are being sold out...

    Roy

    Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com> said:

    > As nearly everybody is going LCD, the last CRTs are being sold out...

    hardly, that day is years away

    --
    Mac Cool

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:58:34 +0200, Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    | Wes Newell wrote:
    | > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:10:49 -0600, Chris Simpson wrote:

    | >>Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
    | >>you want to spend?
    | >>

    | > This answer puzzles me a bit since I've been using CRT's since about 1952,
    | > and that's all anyone used for monitors for years. ...
    |

    | As nearly everybody is going LCD, the last CRTs are being sold out...

    Not as long as demanding graphics artists are around who demand
    ultimate visual quality and who don't want to worry about burned out
    pixels!

    Larc

    "Chris Simpson" <Chriss@mho.com> wrote in message
    > Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
    > you want to spend?

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    you are joking?

    OP: don't listen to this nut, i got a TFT a year or so back and havent
    looked back. Make sure you can see one working in the shop. Avoid the
    cheaper end, they 'ghost' in games and video.

    hamman

    So, you like the fact that you spent 2X the $$ for a moniter and it will
    only last 4-5 years?

    Hamman wrote:
    > "Chris Simpson" <Chriss@mho.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
    >>you want to spend?
    >>

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    >
    > you are joking?
    >
    > OP: don't listen to this nut, i got a TFT a year or so back and havent
    > looked back. Make sure you can see one working in the shop. Avoid the
    > cheaper end, they 'ghost' in games and video.
    >
    > hamman

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    You dont get glare on LCD's unless you have an acrylic covering on the
    LCD like mine has NEC Multisync LCD 1765.

    If you plan on gaming its best to get one with a 16ms response time.
    The one your looking at is 20 ms which may be fine but then again it
    may also ghost images a bit.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > So, you like the fact that you spent 2X the $$ for a moniter and it will
    > only last 4-5 years?

    How did you work out that life expectancy? I've seen and used laptops well
    over that age.

    If you weigh up the costs and benefits and off set it against the financial
    difference; TFT wins by miles.

    In an ideal world i would have a CRT projector, but i dont have £20,000 nor
    the space.

    hamman
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    I totally agree if you are a true gamer CRT is where its at. LCD is only
    good for so long. (couple yrs if lucky). Yeah they may look nice and fits
    anywhere but it is not worth the extra money to me to get a shity graphic
    spacesaver. ooooooohhweeeeeee
    "Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:58:34 +0200, Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > | Wes Newell wrote:

    > | > This answer puzzles me a bit since I've been using CRT's since about
    1952,
    > | > and that's all anyone used for monitors for years. ...
    > |

    > | As nearly everybody is going LCD, the last CRTs are being sold out...
    >
    > Not as long as demanding graphics artists are around who demand
    > ultimate visual quality and who don't want to worry about burned out
    > pixels!
    >
    > Larc
    >

    > §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    We do not know how long the new plasma displays will last, it will be
    alot shorter then the laptop's... How does a TFT out do a CRT financially?

    Hamman wrote:
    > "Chris Simpson" <Chriss@mho.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>So, you like the fact that you spent 2X the $$ for a moniter and it will
    >>only last 4-5 years?
    >>

    > How did you work out that life expectancy? I've seen and used laptops well
    > over that age.
    >
    > If you weigh up the costs and benefits and off set it against the financial
    > difference; TFT wins by miles.
    >
    > In an ideal world i would have a CRT projector, but i dont have £20,000 nor
    > the space.
    >
    > hamman

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:47:20 -0300, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    >My monitor died <sniff>. So, I'm in the market for a new one. 17 inch.
    >Recommendations welcomed. What do you all think of LCD monitors (saw a
    >Sony HS73 at Staples?)
    >
    >Alan

    LCD's are way overpriced, have lousy color, and are way too slow.

    And they want you to pay for one with dead pixels.

    Wait a couple of years for a LCD.

    Forget 17" it's too small. Go with a 19" these days.

    On sale now at newegg is one of the best you can get.

    Nec/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB $257 19" Trinitron style .24 tube

    This one's like getting a pair of good glasses.

    $600 for a LCD ???? IN YOUR DREAMS.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:26:08 -0600, Chris Simpson <Chriss@mho.com>
    wrote:

    | We do not know how long the new plasma displays will last, it will be
    | alot shorter then the laptop's... How does a TFT out do a CRT financially?

    IMHO, both TFT and plasma still leave a lot to be desired. Currently,
    I don't think either is a first-class replacement for top-quality
    CRTs. But that could change with innovations over time, or — who
    knows? — the ideal display for both computers and TV may rest in a yet
    undiscovered concept.

    Larc

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    In <nr9md0l09gskj6kep8u37084mhmajo2mpp@4ax.com>, on 06/24/04
    at 12:20 PM, another@morons.com said:

    >Wait a couple of years for a LCD.

    >Forget 17" it's too small. Go with a 19" these days.

    >On sale now at newegg is one of the best you can get.

    >Nec/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB $257 19" Trinitron style .24 tube

    I don't have space for a 19" CRT - it would have to be 17". Got a
    recommendation for one of that size? I saw a Samsung 753 at Newegg for
    $145 - how is that one?

    Alan

    ** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:37:44 -0300, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    >In <nr9md0l09gskj6kep8u37084mhmajo2mpp@4ax.com>, on 06/24/04
    > at 12:20 PM, another@morons.com said:
    >
    >>Wait a couple of years for a LCD.
    >
    >>Forget 17" it's too small. Go with a 19" these days.
    >
    >>On sale now at newegg is one of the best you can get.
    >
    >>Nec/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB $257 19" Trinitron style .24 tube
    >
    >I don't have space for a 19" CRT - it would have to be 17". Got a
    >recommendation for one of that size? I saw a Samsung 753 at Newegg for
    >$145 - how is that one?

    The 930sb is only about a half inch bigger in each direction than my
    old 17incher. They're much more compact these days. Costs less than
    the old one did too.

    The 930sb costs more because of it's high quality picture. If you
    don't care about that, by all means get a cheap one.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    another@morons.com Wrote
    =========================
    The 930sb is only about a half inch bigger in each direction than my old
    17 incher. They're much more compact these days.
    -
    -
    Guy Agreed
    ==============
    That's true...... most of todays CRT monitors are much more compact than
    the older CRT monitors.
    -
    A new 19 inch CRT could be almost exactly the same size as an older 17
    inch model.
    -
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > LCD's are way overpriced, have lousy color, and are way too slow.
    >
    > And they want you to pay for one with dead pixels.
    >
    > Wait a couple of years for a LCD.
    >
    > Forget 17" it's too small. Go with a 19" these days.
    >
    > On sale now at newegg is one of the best you can get.
    >
    > Nec/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB $257 19" Trinitron style .24 tube
    >
    > This one's like getting a pair of good glasses.
    >
    > $600 for a LCD ???? IN YOUR DREAMS.

    I have to disagree. LCDs have come way down in price and 15/17-inch
    models will probably stabilize in price over the next year. While
    it's true there are some disadvantages to LCDs, one of the main
    advantages is a bright, high contrast display that is better for text
    applications than any CRT.

    This is our most aggressive priced 17-inch model
    http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2359465

    Greg Harris
    www.MonitorsDirect.com
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    In <r8pmd0lekjk5aif1uafr23nors82gh3ob9@4ax.com>, on 06/24/04
    at 04:39 PM, another@morons.com said:

    >>I don't have space for a 19" CRT - it would have to be 17". Got a
    >>recommendation for one of that size? I saw a Samsung 753 at Newegg for
    >>$145 - how is that one?

    >The 930sb is only about a half inch bigger in each direction than my old
    >17incher. They're much more compact these days. Costs less than the old
    >one did too.

    You can't see how cramped my desk is - the 17 inch barely fit in. That
    extra 1/2 inch on each side will be too much.

    >The 930sb costs more because of it's high quality picture. If you don't
    >care about that, by all means get a cheap one.

    What's NEC's 17 inch version of the 930sb?

    Alan

    ** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:28:04 -0300, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    >In <r8pmd0lekjk5aif1uafr23nors82gh3ob9@4ax.com>, on 06/24/04
    > at 04:39 PM, another@morons.com said:
    >
    >>>I don't have space for a 19" CRT - it would have to be 17". Got a
    >>>recommendation for one of that size? I saw a Samsung 753 at Newegg for
    >>>$145 - how is that one?
    >
    >>The 930sb is only about a half inch bigger in each direction than my old
    >>17incher. They're much more compact these days. Costs less than the old
    >>one did too.
    >
    >You can't see how cramped my desk is - the 17 inch barely fit in. That
    >extra 1/2 inch on each side will be too much.
    >
    >>The 930sb costs more because of it's high quality picture. If you don't
    >>care about that, by all means get a cheap one.
    >
    >What's NEC's 17 inch version of the 930sb?

    heh... buy a new desk ;)

    Check out newegg.com and search the Nec/mits CRT monitors for the 17"
    models.

Homebuilt Hardware Monitors Systems