monitor recommendations?

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

My monitor died <sniff>. So, I'm in the market for a new one. 17 inch.
Recommendations welcomed. What do you all think of LCD monitors (saw a
Sony HS73 at Staples?)

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
you want to spend?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:10:49 -0600, Chris Simpson wrote:

> nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
>> My monitor died <sniff>. So, I'm in the market for a new one. 17 inch.
>> Recommendations welcomed. What do you all think of LCD monitors (saw a
>> Sony HS73 at Staples?)
>>
> Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
> you want to spend?

This answer puzzles me a bit since I've been using CRT's since about 1952,
and that's all anyone used for monitors for years. Perhaps you meant
something besides CRT (Cathode Ray Tube).

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

In <rIidnbwotspAjUTdRVn_iw@mho.net>, on 06/22/04
at 11:10 PM, Chris Simpson <Chriss@mho.com> said:

>Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
>you want to spend?

As little as possible, for a good one. :) How are Samsung CRTs (such as
the 793mb?)

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:10:49 -0600, Chris Simpson wrote:

>>Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
>>you want to spend?
>>

> This answer puzzles me a bit since I've been using CRT's since about 1952,
> and that's all anyone used for monitors for years. ...

As nearly everybody is going LCD, the last CRTs are being sold out...

Roy

Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com> said:

> As nearly everybody is going LCD, the last CRTs are being sold out...

hardly, that day is years away

--
Mac Cool

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:58:34 +0200, Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com>
wrote:

| Wes Newell wrote:
| > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:10:49 -0600, Chris Simpson wrote:

| >>Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
| >>you want to spend?
| >>

| > This answer puzzles me a bit since I've been using CRT's since about 1952,
| > and that's all anyone used for monitors for years. ...
|

| As nearly everybody is going LCD, the last CRTs are being sold out...

Not as long as demanding graphics artists are around who demand
ultimate visual quality and who don't want to worry about burned out
pixels!

Larc

"Chris Simpson" <Chriss@mho.com> wrote in message
> Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
> you want to spend?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you are joking?

OP: don't listen to this nut, i got a TFT a year or so back and havent
looked back. Make sure you can see one working in the shop. Avoid the
cheaper end, they 'ghost' in games and video.

hamman

So, you like the fact that you spent 2X the $$ for a moniter and it will
only last 4-5 years?

Hamman wrote:
> "Chris Simpson" <Chriss@mho.com> wrote in message
>
>>Don't buy LCD moniters... Now is the time to get a CRT, how much $$$ do
>>you want to spend?
>>

> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>
> you are joking?
>
> OP: don't listen to this nut, i got a TFT a year or so back and havent
> looked back. Make sure you can see one working in the shop. Avoid the
> cheaper end, they 'ghost' in games and video.
>
> hamman

You dont get glare on LCD's unless you have an acrylic covering on the
LCD like mine has NEC Multisync LCD 1765.

If you plan on gaming its best to get one with a 16ms response time.
The one your looking at is 20 ms which may be fine but then again it
may also ghost images a bit.

> So, you like the fact that you spent 2X the $$ for a moniter and it will
> only last 4-5 years?

How did you work out that life expectancy? I've seen and used laptops well
over that age.

If you weigh up the costs and benefits and off set it against the financial
difference; TFT wins by miles.

In an ideal world i would have a CRT projector, but i dont have £20,000 nor
the space.

hamman

HK

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

I totally agree if you are a true gamer CRT is where its at. LCD is only
good for so long. (couple yrs if lucky). Yeah they may look nice and fits
anywhere but it is not worth the extra money to me to get a shity graphic
spacesaver. ooooooohhweeeeeee
"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:58:34 +0200, Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> | Wes Newell wrote:

> | > This answer puzzles me a bit since I've been using CRT's since about
1952,
> | > and that's all anyone used for monitors for years. ...
> |

> | As nearly everybody is going LCD, the last CRTs are being sold out...
>
> Not as long as demanding graphics artists are around who demand
> ultimate visual quality and who don't want to worry about burned out
> pixels!
>
> Larc
>

> §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§

We do not know how long the new plasma displays will last, it will be
alot shorter then the laptop's... How does a TFT out do a CRT financially?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:47:20 -0300, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

>My monitor died <sniff>. So, I'm in the market for a new one. 17 inch.
>Recommendations welcomed. What do you all think of LCD monitors (saw a
>Sony HS73 at Staples?)
>
>Alan

LCD's are way overpriced, have lousy color, and are way too slow.

And they want you to pay for one with dead pixels.

Wait a couple of years for a LCD.

Forget 17" it's too small. Go with a 19" these days.

On sale now at newegg is one of the best you can get.

Nec/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB $257 19" Trinitron style .24 tube

This one's like getting a pair of good glasses.

$600 for a LCD ???? IN YOUR DREAMS.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:26:08 -0600, Chris Simpson <Chriss@mho.com>
wrote:

| We do not know how long the new plasma displays will last, it will be
| alot shorter then the laptop's... How does a TFT out do a CRT financially?

IMHO, both TFT and plasma still leave a lot to be desired. Currently,
I don't think either is a first-class replacement for top-quality
CRTs. But that could change with innovations over time, or — who
knows? — the ideal display for both computers and TV may rest in a yet
undiscovered concept.

Larc

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

In <nr9md0l09gskj6kep8u37084mhmajo2mpp@4ax.com>, on 06/24/04
at 12:20 PM, another@morons.com said:

>Wait a couple of years for a LCD.

>Forget 17" it's too small. Go with a 19" these days.

>On sale now at newegg is one of the best you can get.

>Nec/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB $257 19" Trinitron style .24 tube

I don't have space for a 19" CRT - it would have to be 17". Got a
recommendation for one of that size? I saw a Samsung 753 at Newegg for
$145 - how is that one?

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:37:44 -0300, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

>In <nr9md0l09gskj6kep8u37084mhmajo2mpp@4ax.com>, on 06/24/04
> at 12:20 PM, another@morons.com said:
>
>>Wait a couple of years for a LCD.
>
>>Forget 17" it's too small. Go with a 19" these days.
>
>>On sale now at newegg is one of the best you can get.
>
>>Nec/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB $257 19" Trinitron style .24 tube
>
>I don't have space for a 19" CRT - it would have to be 17". Got a
>recommendation for one of that size? I saw a Samsung 753 at Newegg for
>$145 - how is that one?

The 930sb is only about a half inch bigger in each direction than my
old 17incher. They're much more compact these days. Costs less than
the old one did too.

The 930sb costs more because of it's high quality picture. If you
don't care about that, by all means get a cheap one.

another@morons.com Wrote
=========================
The 930sb is only about a half inch bigger in each direction than my old
17 incher. They're much more compact these days.
-
-
Guy Agreed
==============
That's true...... most of todays CRT monitors are much more compact than
the older CRT monitors.
-
A new 19 inch CRT could be almost exactly the same size as an older 17
inch model.
-

> LCD's are way overpriced, have lousy color, and are way too slow.
>
> And they want you to pay for one with dead pixels.
>
> Wait a couple of years for a LCD.
>
> Forget 17" it's too small. Go with a 19" these days.
>
> On sale now at newegg is one of the best you can get.
>
> Nec/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB $257 19" Trinitron style .24 tube
>
> This one's like getting a pair of good glasses.
>
> $600 for a LCD ???? IN YOUR DREAMS.

I have to disagree. LCDs have come way down in price and 15/17-inch
models will probably stabilize in price over the next year. While
it's true there are some disadvantages to LCDs, one of the main
advantages is a bright, high contrast display that is better for text
applications than any CRT.

This is our most aggressive priced 17-inch model
http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2359465

Greg Harris
www.MonitorsDirect.com

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

In <r8pmd0lekjk5aif1uafr23nors82gh3ob9@4ax.com>, on 06/24/04
at 04:39 PM, another@morons.com said:

>>I don't have space for a 19" CRT - it would have to be 17". Got a
>>recommendation for one of that size? I saw a Samsung 753 at Newegg for
>>$145 - how is that one?

>The 930sb is only about a half inch bigger in each direction than my old
>17incher. They're much more compact these days. Costs less than the old
>one did too.

You can't see how cramped my desk is - the 17 inch barely fit in. That
extra 1/2 inch on each side will be too much.

>The 930sb costs more because of it's high quality picture. If you don't
>care about that, by all means get a cheap one.

What's NEC's 17 inch version of the 930sb?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:28:04 -0300, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

>In <r8pmd0lekjk5aif1uafr23nors82gh3ob9@4ax.com>, on 06/24/04
> at 04:39 PM, another@morons.com said:
>
>>>I don't have space for a 19" CRT - it would have to be 17". Got a
>>>recommendation for one of that size? I saw a Samsung 753 at Newegg for
>>>$145 - how is that one?
>
>>The 930sb is only about a half inch bigger in each direction than my old
>>17incher. They're much more compact these days. Costs less than the old
>>one did too.
>
>You can't see how cramped my desk is - the 17 inch barely fit in. That
>extra 1/2 inch on each side will be too much.
>
>>The 930sb costs more because of it's high quality picture. If you don't
>>care about that, by all means get a cheap one.
>
>What's NEC's 17 inch version of the 930sb?

heh... buy a new desk ;)

Check out newegg.com and search the Nec/mits CRT monitors for the 17"
models.