intel.microprocessors.pentium, comp.sys.intel, comp.hardwa..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

I have been purchasing AMD CPUs for many years now. However I may have
to switch to Intel because of the following:

On Pentium type motherboards (such as Dell & some IBM), a case fan
blows onto a large heat sink which is attached to the CPU.

I know of no AMD motherboards which support this or cases set up to do
this. If you know of any let me know.

So anyway here are my questions:

1. What Pentium motherboards are designed to allow a large heat sink
over the CPU which is designed to have a case fan cool it?

2. Are there cases specifically designed for such motherboards which
have a properly placed fan?

3. Who would supply the plastic tube thing which diverts the air from
the case fan onto the CPU heat sink? The motherboard manufacturer? The
case manufacturer? A third party?

I've found that case fan cooled systems (such as the Dell towers &
desktops) are much quieter than systems which require a fan mounted
directly over the CPU heat sink.

I know there are water cooling systems for AMD, but I wonder if it
would in the long run be cheaper to simply go with a Pentium and a
case fan CPU cooling solution?

I could just buy a Dell I suppose since it has such a setup and is
much quieter than heat sink mounted fan solutions, but I prefer to
build my own systems. So I guess I have to switch to Intel, even
though I would prefer not to. But I will if it means getting less
noise without having to pay a lot of money (for water cooling).
3 answers Last reply
More about intel microprocessors pentium comp intel comp hardwa
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

    On 23 Jun 2004 08:45:07 -0700, jhigbee@nyx.net (J Higbee) wrote:

    >I have been purchasing AMD CPUs for many years now. However I may have
    >to switch to Intel because of the following:
    >
    >On Pentium type motherboards (such as Dell & some IBM), a case fan
    >blows onto a large heat sink which is attached to the CPU.

    That is a reason to "have to" switch?
    Hopefully English is your second language.

    >I know of no AMD motherboards which support this or cases set up to do
    >this. If you know of any let me know.

    So you're choosing the hotter running CPU and ignoring that factor, only
    focusing on a more expensive new platform for no good reason?

    >So anyway here are my questions:
    >
    >1. What Pentium motherboards are designed to allow a large heat sink
    >over the CPU which is designed to have a case fan cool it?

    All of them. All of the AMD boards do too. 80x80mm qualifies as a case
    fan, and just about any motherboard will accept a heatsink that uses that
    size.

    Possibly what you meant to ask, is which boards use the BTX design?

    >2. Are there cases specifically designed for such motherboards which
    >have a properly placed fan?

    You seem to be making assumptions without all the necessary info. Primary
    consideration for your system selection should be the jobs you run.
    Secondary considerations are cost, size, noise, etc. Trying to choose a
    system based only on what you've mentioned, is madness... you might as
    well try to base it on sytsems with blue-colored PCBs.

    What you might've meant to ask is, "Who has the best selection of BTX
    cases, and which are best for [insert system description here] ?".

    >3. Who would supply the plastic tube thing which diverts the air from
    >the case fan onto the CPU heat sink? The motherboard manufacturer? The
    >case manufacturer? A third party?

    Apparently you saw a picture somewhere and have fallen in love with an
    idea. If you want the tube you saw in the picture, you'd better ask the
    (source of the pic) who made it. Otherwise you may find a tube bundled
    with the case, but you'd have to research a specific case to see what
    parts are included. A plastic tube cannot come with the motherboard or a
    3rd party and be expected to fit (some random case), except perhaps if a
    case manufactuer uses same tube mount on a whole line of cases, or a model
    becomes popular enough that a 3rd party makes such an add-on tube. In
    other words, you can't really narrowly focus on this tube for optimal
    results, instead focusing on what case you need for the parts you need,
    for the apps you need, etc.

    >I've found that case fan cooled systems (such as the Dell towers &
    >desktops) are much quieter than systems which require a fan mounted
    >directly over the CPU heat sink.

    Not true. There is no reason such a design must be quieter, only that
    some manufactuers pay more attention to noise levels than others. Since
    you've already demonstrated that you're willing to spend some time
    optimizing for low noise, you could buy just about any platform you want
    and achieve that result.

    It would seem you're comparing the worse active heatsinks to an optimized
    OEM setup. Of course the OEM seems better, but only until you compare to
    a good active heatsink.

    >I know there are water cooling systems for AMD, but I wonder if it
    >would in the long run be cheaper to simply go with a Pentium and a
    >case fan CPU cooling solution?

    The water cooler would sooner be needed on the Pentium, assuming your
    vague reference is to the now-current P4 Prescott. Best advice I can give
    is to forget what you "think" you know about optimal cooling and start
    over. Your assumptions about heat, noise, and cooling requirements are
    incorrect. Don't choose cheap junk heatsinks or fans with medium to high
    RPM, regardless of the platform you choose... either way it'd be noisey.

    >I could just buy a Dell I suppose since it has such a setup and is
    >much quieter than heat sink mounted fan solutions, but I prefer to
    >build my own systems. So I guess I have to switch to Intel, even
    >though I would prefer not to. But I will if it means getting less
    >noise without having to pay a lot of money (for water cooling).

    Don't guess. There are tons of people who provide examples of many, many
    different system configurations that run near if not completely inaudibly.
    The easier way to achieve that is to start out with only the performance
    you need.

    If you want a Dell, buy one, but if you want to build your own and end up
    with low noise, do more research first, about what creates the noise, WHY
    something is noisey. Pick the parts you need, THEN figure out how to cool
    them quietly... it really isn't hard but experience helps, and so I
    suggest doing some online searches for tips from those who have already
    gone down this road instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. There are
    even whole websites devoted to quiet systems, parts reviews, etc.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

    On 23 Jun 2004 08:45:07 -0700, jhigbee@nyx.net (J Higbee) wrote:

    >I have been purchasing AMD CPUs for many years now. However I may have
    >to switch to Intel because of the following:
    >
    >On Pentium type motherboards (such as Dell & some IBM), a case fan
    >blows onto a large heat sink which is attached to the CPU.

    Those are first tier OEM systems, which happen to be Pentium

    >I know of no AMD motherboards which support this or cases set up to do
    >this. If you know of any let me know.

    The motheboard and cases in the above systems are designed together,
    or at least with consideration for each other.

    >So anyway here are my questions:
    >
    >1. What Pentium motherboards are designed to allow a large heat sink
    >over the CPU which is designed to have a case fan cool it?

    A: BTX B: Those for those OEMs which practice that form of cooling

    >2. Are there cases specifically designed for such motherboards which
    >have a properly placed fan?

    A: BTX B: Those for those OEMs which practice that form of cooling

    >3. Who would supply the plastic tube thing which diverts the air from
    >the case fan onto the CPU heat sink? The motherboard manufacturer? The
    >case manufacturer? A third party?

    A plastic moulder contracted by the OEM, if not the OEM themselves.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

    Higbee wrote:
    > I have been purchasing AMD CPUs for many years now. However I may have
    > to switch to Intel because of the following:
    >
    > On Pentium type motherboards (such as Dell & some IBM), a case fan
    > blows onto a large heat sink which is attached to the CPU.

    Wow, how much do you overclock?!! I have seen no problems with Athlon,
    Athlon-64, or Opteron. You start with a case which supports dual 80mm
    fans in the back and a side mounted fan. Yes, those glitzy glass side
    cases with a fan in the side do seem to cool better.

    I think you are buying FUD on the need to go to a new case form factor
    to solve a problem which doesn't exist.

    --
    bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
    Project Leader, USENET news

Homebuilt Hardware Pentium Cases Intel Motherboards Systems