Need Advice On New PC

I will be purchasing a new base PC at a weekend Computer Show this
Sunday. I've been living with 4 ECS K75SA systems for the last 3 years or so
that have been excellent performers except for the occasional CMOS reset
issues.

The problem is I've been out of touch with the latest and greatest and would
appreciate any advice as to what is the best bang for the buck out there
today. I just purchased an ATI 9600 for the vid side if that helps in your
recommendations. TIA for the re-education.

Armand

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I just upgraded from an ECS K75SA about two weeks ago. Mine kept
losing the CMOS settings as well. Since I already had another system
this was more or less a "backup" system so I wasn't looking for "the
latest and greatest" as you put it.
I bought a Soyo SY-KT600 Plus V. 1.0 from Newegg for $49.00. (It came
with a $10.00 rebate so I was only investing a net of $39.00)

It's an AMD solution that will accept up to an XP3200 cpu and has a
400mhz FSB. I was looking for something relatively inexpensive and
this fit the bill perfectly. It does NOT have firewire capability but
that is not anything that I need.

All I did was swap out the motherboard and hook everything back up. At
that point I did a clean install of WindowsXP Pro and I was up and
running. It was the easiest build I've experienced to date. Not a
single glitch.

The system is rock solid and MUCH quicker than the ECS board. I am
very pleased with the results.

Good luck on your new system!

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:48:01 +0000, SpicaTC50 wrote:

> I will be purchasing a new base PC at a weekend Computer Show this
> Sunday. I've been living with 4 ECS K75SA systems for the last 3 years or so
> that have been excellent performers except for the occasional CMOS reset
> issues.

That's not a lot to go on. maybe you should just consider upgrading the
cpu's. if you've had them 3 years, they have to be pretty slow compared
to newer ones. If you've got 1000MHz Athlons now (were they out 3 years
ago?), then you can more than double the speed with just a new cpu. And to
be real honest, a newer MB won't gain you that much over just upgrading
the cpu. If you decide to upgrade the MB, you'll probably need new ram,
etc. Asrock K7S8XE+ would be a good buy, and since it has a SIS chipset,
like the K7S5A, you shouldn't experience too many problems with your
software drivers.

Thanks for the response. My daughter needs a faster PC to play games so
I'm giving her my ECS with AMD XP1600 and 133 SB, so I need a new base
system for myself. Since I just bought an ATI 9600, I'd like to get a mobo with
AGP 8X. What are the SB's rated for now a days.

In article <pan.2004.06.24.20.42.42.868522@TAKEOUTverizon.net>,
w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net says...

>On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:48:01 +0000, SpicaTC50 wrote:
>
>> I will be purchasing a new base PC at a weekend Computer Show this
>> Sunday. I've been living with 4 ECS K75SA systems for the last 3 years or
so
>> that have been excellent performers except for the occasional CMOS reset
>> issues.
>>
>That's not a lot to go on. maybe you should just consider upgrading the
>cpu's. if you've had them 3 years, they have to be pretty slow compared
>to newer ones. If you've got 1000MHz Athlons now (were they out 3 years
>ago?), then you can more than double the speed with just a new cpu. And to
>be real honest, a newer MB won't gain you that much over just upgrading
>the cpu. If you decide to upgrade the MB, you'll probably need new ram,
>etc. Asrock K7S8XE+ would be a good buy, and since it has a SIS chipset,
>like the K7S5A, you shouldn't experience too many problems with your
>software drivers.
>
>--
>Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Soyo's been
around for a while so I don't doubt it's performance and I don't care about
FW's as I use a router.

In article <d293bbe3.0406241846.6b41208a@posting.google.com>,
rayce@hotmail.com says...

"SpicaTC50" <bluesguitar@verizon.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Soyo's been
> around for a while so I don't doubt it's performance and I don't care
about
> FW's as I use a router.

*shakes his head*