Question for my nephew.

Hi,
My nephew wants to build his 1st pc, he has about $700.00 to work with. In a
nutshell, is he better going with a discounted processor like a Barton 2500
($80.00),with an appropriate MB, and a decent HD and DVD burn? Or should he
dive into the XP 2800, (64-bit) ($185.00), and all of the more expensive
peripherals that go with it? I figured that he should get a good case now
and go with the cheaper Barton, and then maybe upgrade later.

RF
6 answers Last reply
More about question nephew

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:26:33 GMT, "RF" <glassless2003@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >My nephew wants to build his 1st pc, he has about $700.00 to work with. In a
    >nutshell, is he better going with a discounted processor like a Barton 2500
    >($80.00),with an appropriate MB, and a decent HD and DVD burn? Or should he
    >dive into the XP 2800, (64-bit) ($185.00), and all of the more expensive
    >peripherals that go with it? I figured that he should get a good case now
    >and go with the cheaper Barton, and then maybe upgrade later.
    >
    >RF

    Get a good case, name-brand power supply with more capacity than
    he'll currently need, and budget for 1GB of PC3200 or higher
    memory. Next, see how much is left for the rest of the parts.
    IMHO, the DVD burner isn't a priority that would justify
    sacrificing any other part of the system, rather something better
    bought later if the funds don't stretch far enough for the rest.
    For example, the ~$70-150 might easily be better spent on a nice
    video card or faster hard drive, better high-end (quieter and
    more efficient) heatsink, or Panaflo fans to replace originals in
    the case.

    You make no mention of the uses for the system. Will it need do
    anything demanding? An XP2500 Barton is way more than adequate
    for most uses, though for some purposes like gaming, a video card
    upgrade is more signficant, while for others like video editing,
    a P4 platform or A64 would be better... but the XP2800 @ $185
    isn't a very good buy considering you want a whole system from
    scratch for $700, in addition to the fact that an XP2500 _Mobile_
    Barton is quite easy to overclock without any problems (when
    limited to a reasonable o'c) on popular motherboards with AGP/PCI
    lock, like those based on nForce2 chipset... I'd definitely
    recommend nForce2 if you decide on the Barton.

    RF wrote:
    > Hi,
    > My nephew wants to build his 1st pc, he has about $700.00 to work with. In a
    > nutshell, is he better going with a discounted processor like a Barton 2500
    > ($80.00),with an appropriate MB, and a decent HD and DVD burn? Or should he
    > dive into the XP 2800, (64-bit) ($185.00), and all of the more expensive
    > peripherals that go with it? I figured that he should get a good case now
    > and go with the cheaper Barton, and then maybe upgrade later.
    >
    > RF

    Personally I decided it wasn't quite time for the Athlon 64, for me.
    The motherboards only hold 2 or 3 gigabytes of RAM - no different than
    the 32 bit chips - and the performance of the 3000+ and below 64 bit
    chips are not far out of line with the best (32-bit) Athlon XPs, which
    are cheaper, not only for the CPU but the motherboard too. The high-end
    Athlon64 and Opteron chips are neat but for the money they ought to be.

    Then there's OS support. I'm a linux user, so would have real 64-bit
    support, but got the impression there would be a lot of headaches, and
    only a marginal performance jump from running in 32 bit mode.

    For a Windows user no 64 bit OS has been released.

    So I went with the Barton.

    Thanks,

    Like any kid he wants to go online, play some games and maybe eventually use
    it for some video.
    I agree with the nforce chipset, I have that in my system where I have OCed
    an xp1700 up to 2.1 GHz, (1 year and no blue screens yet).
    The DVD burner is about 70 bucks so I think that he is going for that..

    RF

    In article <Jw2Dc.96768$Hg2.64098@attbi_s04>,
    glassless2003@yahoo.com says...
    > Hi,
    > My nephew wants to build his 1st pc, he has about $700.00 to work with. In a
    > nutshell, is he better going with a discounted processor like a Barton 2500
    > ($80.00),with an appropriate MB, and a decent HD and DVD burn? Or should he
    > dive into the XP 2800, (64-bit) ($185.00), and all of the more expensive
    > peripherals that go with it? I figured that he should get a good case now
    > and go with the cheaper Barton, and then maybe upgrade later.

    $700 is tight... does that include the monitor?

    A good motherboard (Asus A7N8X-E Dlx), plus 1GB RAM
    (2x512MB Kingston) and a CPU (AMD AthlonXP 2800+ 333Mhz)
    is going to eat up $350. More memory is almost always
    better then a faster CPU. (e.g. rather then get a
    AthlonXP 3200+ with 512MB, get a 2800+ with 1GB). Stay
    away from the DDR400 (PC3200) if you're cost-sensitive.

    WinXP OEM edition is $135 or so.

    A good case is $100 (e.g. Antec Sonata, etc.).

    $350+$135+$100 is right close to $500, which only leaves
    $200 for the bits like the monitor, DVD, and hard-drive.

    (Mice and keyboards are generally free... hit the thrift
    shop.)

    Thank you all for your replies, I will look into those.

    RF

    I have an XP2800+ Retail and I only paid about $123.00 for it. It
    works great. It doesnt cost that much more. Not the 64 bit but the
    regular XP2800. I think he may want to save up some more cash if he
    wants to go with an Athlon64 because the motherboard costs more too.
    If he is really considering Athlon64 he may want to consider a top-end
    AthlonXP processor like a XP3200.

    He can not upgrade to Athlon64 from AthlonXP because the motherboards
    are different and the socket size is different that the CPU goes into.

    You dont need to buy a deluxe model of a motherboard. I am using the
    Asus A7N8X 400 and it is running just fine. The integrated sound on
    these is quite good. Abit also makes nice motherboards. Go with the
    Lite-on brand for the CD/DVD drive. MSI also makes a fairly good
    CD/DVD player. For a Hard Drive Western Digital is nice and Seagate
    SATA drives are nice. The Sata Drives tend to price about the same as
    the regular hard drives, but they tend to make them bigger, so they
    cost more. If you plan on copying DVD's you may need a larger hard
    drive to make the drive images.

    One very important factor is the video card. A good option is an
    Radeon 9600 Pro Video Card. That is about $100 or so.

    >Hi,
    >My nephew wants to build his 1st pc, he has about $700.00 to work with. In a
    >nutshell, is he better going with a discounted processor like a Barton 2500
    >($80.00),with an appropriate MB, and a decent HD and DVD burn? Or should he
    >dive into the XP 2800, (64-bit) ($185.00), and all of the more expensive
    >peripherals that go with it? I figured that he should get a good case now
    >and go with the cheaper Barton, and then maybe upgrade later.
    >
    >RF

Homebuilt Systems