Blocking internet access on networked computer

I am wondering if there is a setting I can change that will allow my two
computers to share files but allow me to block the other computer from
accessing the internet. My teenage daughter has the client computer and I
want to share our printers and files but I want to block her from accessing
the internet at the same time.
3 answers Last reply
More about blocking internet access networked computer

    "NRTFJim" <NRTFJim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am wondering if there is a setting I can change that will allow my two
    > computers to share files but allow me to block the other computer from
    > accessing the internet. My teenage daughter has the client computer and I
    > want to share our printers and files but I want to block her from
    > accessing
    > the internet at the same time.

    Set up the in home network type as ad-hoc rather than infrastructure?

    Easy one, you just need to block internet access to one computer.
    Setup your router definitions and block the port 80 on the ip address from
    the computer you want to block.
    also you want to block also the email? port 110.

    "JoeT" <noway@today> escreveu na mensagem

    > "NRTFJim" <NRTFJim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am wondering if there is a setting I can change that will allow my two
    >> computers to share files but allow me to block the other computer from
    >> accessing the internet. My teenage daughter has the client computer and I
    >> want to share our printers and files but I want to block her from
    >> accessing
    >> the internet at the same time.
    >
    > Set up the in home network type as ad-hoc rather than infrastructure?

    Well, I'm a little late on this, but better late than never ...
    this only works if her computer is set up with a fixed IP
    address. If she is using DHCP (get an address), as soon
    as the IP address changes, your block will fail. Some
    routers allow you to block the computer by the MAC
    address instead of IP which would work better. My
    SMC Barricade only allows blocking by IP.

    mikey

    "Paulo Dias" <paulo@soaresdias.com> wrote in message
    > Easy one, you just need to block internet access to one computer.
    > Setup your router definitions and block the port 80 on the ip address from
    > the computer you want to block.
    > also you want to block also the email? port 110.
    >

    > "JoeT" <noway@today> escreveu na mensagem
    > >
    > > "NRTFJim" <NRTFJim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I am wondering if there is a setting I can change that will allow my two
    > >> computers to share files but allow me to block the other computer from
    > >> accessing the internet. My teenage daughter has the client computer and
    > >> want to share our printers and files but I want to block her from
    > >> accessing
    > >> the internet at the same time.
    > >
    > > Set up the in home network type as ad-hoc rather than infrastructure?

Internet Access Computers Internet Wireless Networking