Screen flickers, turns yellow hue

Kram

Greetings, occasionally my 19" Viewsonic turns a yellow hue, flickers
and then back to normal colors. What would cause this? Monitor, video
card, motherboard? What order should I start with and is there freeware
software to check it?

Thanks, Mark

Kram wrote:

> Greetings, occasionally my 19" Viewsonic turns a yellow hue, flickers
> and then back to normal colors. What would cause this? Monitor, video
> card, motherboard? What order should I start with and is there freeware
> software to check it?
>
> Thanks, Mark

Sounds like the blue gun is dropping out.

One of my monitors does that occasionally, except it's the green gun that
goes. Bad cable, loose wire inside, and moving it to the 'right spot'
(trial and error) settles things back down.

Sounds stupid, but you've checked the cables are in tight yeah? (including
the back of the monitor). Had a problem on my old 15 inch crt where the
cable in the back needed "tweaking" once a month or so, even though it was
moulded into the case.

"Kram" <BB@King.com> wrote in message news:ThzFc.19472$7t3.7759@attbi_s51...
> Greetings, occasionally my 19" Viewsonic turns a yellow hue, flickers and
> then back to normal colors. What would cause this? Monitor, video card,
> motherboard? What order should I start with and is there freeware
> software to check it?
>
> Thanks, Mark

Kram

>> Greetings, occasionally my 19" Viewsonic turns a yellow hue, flickers
>> and then back to normal colors. What would cause this? Monitor,
>> video card, motherboard? What order should I start with and is there
>> freeware software to check it?

> Sounds like the blue gun is dropping out.
>
> One of my monitors does that occasionally, except it's the green gun
> that goes. Bad cable, loose wire inside, and moving it to the 'right
> spot' (trial and error) settles things back down.

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping it would be something cheaper, guess
I'll start looking for a replacement.

Mark

Kram wrote:

>>> Greetings, occasionally my 19" Viewsonic turns a yellow hue,
>>> flickers and then back to normal colors. What would cause this?
>>> Monitor, video card, motherboard? What order should I start with and
>>> is there freeware software to check it?
>

>> Sounds like the blue gun is dropping out.
>>
>> One of my monitors does that occasionally, except it's the green gun
>> that goes. Bad cable, loose wire inside, and moving it to the 'right
>> spot' (trial and error) settles things back down.
>

> Thanks for the reply, I was hoping it would be something cheaper, guess
> I'll start looking for a replacement.
>
> Mark

Permanently connected monitor cables are a pain in the butt because there
is no 'standard' and they are usually difficult to deal with inside the
monitor (odd connector or flat out soldered in, etc).

Of course, it could be a driver transistor going out (the blue gun in your
case), or something else related to the blue gun path (loose wire inside),
but the cable is a weak spot, as people pull and twist them, so it would be
my first guess for that kind of intermittent symptom (barring it just not
plugged in well).

I just curse till I find a 'good spot' and live with it.