Power supply issue?

Just a few nights ago when I do a shutdown in WinXP everything shuts down
like normal except there is a small flickering of power still going to my
computer. It is very faint and can barely be heard. Meaning, my power and
HDD lights are flickering and my fans are "pulsating" as minimal power is
flickering through them and they are barely audible.

I don't have an extra power supply to test my theory, but I am assuming that
my power supply is bad. It's an on older fortron 350 thats been supplying
my AMD 2100 for about the last year and a half. Can anyone confirm my
theory that's is most likely a power supply going bad? Thanks in advance
everyone!

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:54:37 -0600, Don Tulloch wrote:

> Just a few nights ago when I do a shutdown in WinXP everything shuts down
> like normal except there is a small flickering of power still going to my
> computer. It is very faint and can barely be heard. Meaning, my power and
> HDD lights are flickering and my fans are "pulsating" as minimal power is
> flickering through them and they are barely audible.
>
> I don't have an extra power supply to test my theory, but I am assuming that
> my power supply is bad. It's an on older fortron 350 thats been supplying
> my AMD 2100 for about the last year and a half. Can anyone confirm my
> theory that's is most likely a power supply going bad? Thanks in advance
> everyone!

So buy a cheap PSU as a spare. You should always have a spare PSU as they
are the weakiest link. And It doesn't matter if it's an expensive one or a
cheap one, they are still the weakest link.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 00:54:37 -0600, "Don Tulloch"
<dtulloch@nospamcableone.net> wrote:

> Just a few nights ago when I do a shutdown in WinXP everything shuts down
>like normal except there is a small flickering of power still going to my
>computer. It is very faint and can barely be heard. Meaning, my power and
>HDD lights are flickering and my fans are "pulsating" as minimal power is
>flickering through them and they are barely audible.
>
>I don't have an extra power supply to test my theory, but I am assuming that
>my power supply is bad. It's an on older fortron 350 thats been supplying
>my AMD 2100 for about the last year and a half. Can anyone confirm my
>theory that's is most likely a power supply going bad? Thanks in advance
>everyone!

Yes, that is "most likely".

If you're continuing to use system, you really shouldn't
(including not plugged into AC), but if you feel you must then
you might keep as many components as possible that're using 5VSB
disconnected. For example, if motherboard has keyboard or mouse
power-on feature by motherbaord jumpers, set jumpers to 5V
(disabled power on mode) rather than 5VSB.

Don't take any risks.............
Just finished looking for good parts in a fried P3 800EB machine.
Found only floppy drive, CPU fan & bare case were any good.
CD burner, DVD player, motherboard, stick of memory, CPU, HD, modem & video
card were completely fried ! !
From the looks of things, the power supply sent 240volts (Australia) through
the thing?
BruceM

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 00:54:37 -0600, "Don Tulloch"
> <dtulloch@nospamcableone.net> wrote:
>
> > Just a few nights ago when I do a shutdown in WinXP everything shuts
down
> >like normal except there is a small flickering of power still going to my
> >computer. It is very faint and can barely be heard. Meaning, my power
and
> >HDD lights are flickering and my fans are "pulsating" as minimal power is
> >flickering through them and they are barely audible.
> >
> >I don't have an extra power supply to test my theory, but I am assuming
that
> >my power supply is bad. It's an on older fortron 350 thats been
supplying
> >my AMD 2100 for about the last year and a half. Can anyone confirm my
> >theory that's is most likely a power supply going bad? Thanks in advance
> >everyone!
> >

> Yes, that is "most likely".
>
> If you're continuing to use system, you really shouldn't
> (including not plugged into AC), but if you feel you must then
> you might keep as many components as possible that're using 5VSB
> disconnected. For example, if motherboard has keyboard or mouse
> power-on feature by motherbaord jumpers, set jumpers to 5V
> (disabled power on mode) rather than 5VSB.

o Verify the motherboard connectors are sound
---- eg, the P4 4-pin +12V if connected
o Consider not using the machine until a replacement PSU is obtained
---- it's not good for your machine, or PSU in this state
---- particularly if your HD contains vital data you haven't backed-up

If you do continue using it, turn it off at the wall (hard on/off) and not the
ATX soft-on/off switch (which has the PSU powered in standby mode).

Unfortunate, FSP/Fortran/Sparkle are usually pretty reliable.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet fans, books & other items