How to install WinXP onto a blank PC?

Hi, gurus:

I just build a new PC, everything is blank right now.
After I use a Win98 bootdisk to get into DOS, then put my WinXP CD into
CD-ROM
when I start to run setup.exe from the WinXP CD
it says:"This program can only run in Windows environment"
How do you install WinXP onto a blank PC?

ps: I remember with Win2000, its CD offers an utility to create 4 floppy
disks
These disks can run from DOS environment.

¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

> Hi, gurus:
>
> I just build a new PC, everything is blank right now.
> After I use a Win98 bootdisk to get into DOS, then put my WinXP CD into
> CD-ROM
> when I start to run setup.exe from the WinXP CD
> it says:"This program can only run in Windows environment"
> How do you install WinXP onto a blank PC?

BOOT the CD.

> ps: I remember with Win2000, its CD offers an utility to create 4 floppy
> disks
> These disks can run from DOS environment.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thank you David, I forgot to set my BIOS boot sequency to boot from CD-ROM
You are right, after corrected the BIOS setting, it boots from the XP CD.

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
???????:10ekdnpdh4g0q77@corp.supernews.com...
¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

> Hi, gurus:
>
> I just build a new PC, everything is blank right now.
> After I use a Win98 bootdisk to get into DOS, then put my WinXP CD into
> CD-ROM
> when I start to run setup.exe from the WinXP CD
> it says:"This program can only run in Windows environment"
> How do you install WinXP onto a blank PC?

BOOT the CD.

> ps: I remember with Win2000, its CD offers an utility to create 4 floppy
> disks
> These disks can run from DOS environment.

To install XP onto a blank computer you simply insert the XP CD into the
CD-Rom, then set your computer BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM. Then bootup
your computer and the CD will start playing and you simply follow the
directions that appear on your monitor to install XP. Simple.
You CANNOT install XP from a DOS prompt easily, so do not try it.

--
DaveW

DaveW wrote:

> To install XP onto a blank computer you simply insert the XP CD into the
> CD-Rom, then set your computer BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM. Then bootup
> your computer and the CD will start playing and you simply follow the
> directions that appear on your monitor to install XP. Simple.

> You CANNOT install XP from a DOS prompt easily, so do not try it.

Why in the world do people keep saying this?

You just go into the i386 folder and type WINNT.

How 'hard' is that?