Wireless + Wired

Sorry for the long post.

At the moment I have Wireless with 3 PC's connected to an ADSL router. 2
of the machines run XPHomeSP2 and the third runs WinME and we all share
the internet with no problems and I have the 2 XP's file and printer
sharing.

Was having problems connecting to my router and was told in here that I
would be better have one of the machines wired to the router.

I have decided to go that route with my machine wired, as it's the nearest
to the router and I'm usually the one responsible for keeping everyone
else's running clean etc:

I'm sure my machine has an Ethernet connection, haven't really looked at
the back properly <g> but I remember when first setting this one up, it
came with XP installed but I reformatted and clean installed my own retail
copy of XPHome, I know that at the time didn't intend networking and
disabled the LAN setting in the BIOS, I had that icon about a cable not
connected <g>

Sorry for going on so long but my question is should I take out the
wireless card that was installed when my network was set up, my local tech
guy will fit a new card if I don't have a Ethernet one, or will it be OK
to leave it in place, don't want any problems or added complications I'm
not that technical when it comes to this.
Joan

Joan if your not going to be using this computer on the wireless network then
yes I would take it, less to worrie about, less to go wrong.

"Joan Archer" wrote:

> Sorry for the long post.
>
> At the moment I have Wireless with 3 PC's connected to an ADSL router. 2
> of the machines run XPHomeSP2 and the third runs WinME and we all share
> the internet with no problems and I have the 2 XP's file and printer
> sharing.
>
> Was having problems connecting to my router and was told in here that I
> would be better have one of the machines wired to the router.
>
> I have decided to go that route with my machine wired, as it's the nearest
> to the router and I'm usually the one responsible for keeping everyone
> else's running clean etc:
>
> I'm sure my machine has an Ethernet connection, haven't really looked at
> the back properly <g> but I remember when first setting this one up, it
> came with XP installed but I reformatted and clean installed my own retail
> copy of XPHome, I know that at the time didn't intend networking and
> disabled the LAN setting in the BIOS, I had that icon about a cable not
> connected <g>
>
> Sorry for going on so long but my question is should I take out the
> wireless card that was installed when my network was set up, my local tech
> guy will fit a new card if I don't have a Ethernet one, or will it be OK
> to leave it in place, don't want any problems or added complications I'm
> not that technical when it comes to this.
> Joan

Perhaps I'm being a bit dumb here, but when you say not use this computer
on the wireless network.

The network will still be as is with the other computers connecting
through wireless just that mine will be wired to the router and hopefully
still be connected to the same set up ie: internet/file and print sharing
with the other XP box.

It's just that I wondered if it would cause any problems if the card is
left in when I plug a cable into the Ethernet port or have another card
put in.
Told you I didn't know anything about this <g>
Joan

Nathan Brandt wrote:
> Joan if your not going to be using this computer on the wireless
> network then yes I would take it, less to worrie about, less to go
> wrong.
>
> "Joan Archer" wrote:

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Hi Joan,

Theoretically, it would be better if you take out the wireless Network
Interface Card (NIC) from your own computer, as it will not be needed on
that computer anymore. You can use it as a spare for one of the other
computers, in case of need.

The alternative is to leave the card as it is, but disable the card in
windows. So the NIC would be logically nonexistent.

If you have two NICs on the same computer, trying to connect to the same
router, you *may* have some problems.

In your first message you mentioned a local tech guy who would put in a
wired NIC if needed. Why not leave the decision to him?

Good luck,
Engin

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps I'm being a bit dumb here, but when you say not use this computer
> on the wireless network.
>
> The network will still be as is with the other computers connecting
> through wireless just that mine will be wired to the router and hopefully
> still be connected to the same set up ie: internet/file and print sharing
> with the other XP box.
>
> It's just that I wondered if it would cause any problems if the card is
> left in when I plug a cable into the Ethernet port or have another card
> put in.
> Told you I didn't know anything about this <g>
> Joan
>

> Nathan Brandt wrote:
>> Joan if your not going to be using this computer on the wireless
>> network then yes I would take it, less to worrie about, less to go
>> wrong.
>>
>> "Joan Archer" wrote:

Thanks for the reply I will go with that and wait until my tech guy gets
here and see whats what <g>

I just didn't want to screw anything up as at the moment everything is
working great apart from not being able to log onto my router and set the
WEP encryptment which is something I need to do.

I'm fairly sure I have an onboard NIC just got to get on my hands and
knees under my desk and look at the back of the tower <g> I'll tell him to
bring a card with him though just in case.
Thanks
Joan