Sign in with
Your question

Whats going on ?

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2011 10:34:39 AM

Ok so this is what has happened and what is happening.

A day ago my Internet explorer started playing up big time. wouldnt shut tabs. kept crashing wouldnt shut down. thunderbird insisted it was already running. I cant download from web sites and i cant install anything from either the web pre existing exe files or from hard medis.
I keep getting error codes such as 2503 c:\csb.log and eula 1028.txt and numerous other numbers 1028/1031/1033.
A lot of folders have a small paglock on them as well that wasnt there before.
I also dont seem to have flash anymore but it is installed, that is U Tube etc wont work.

Now things i have done are as follows run 2 full kaspersky checks. Run CCleaner to check the reg for issues found loads as you would expect but nothing problematic.
I have tried changing the security settings for the Drive to full but still no joy.
Is this a coincidence that it happened after a tuesday ? is it a MS update fault ? the only other thing that has happened recently is updating Java.
I even tries a system restore but it cant even seem to do that properly.
Any ideas short of a full reinstall ?

Cheers
Mactronix

More about : whats

a c 244 $ Windows 7
February 23, 2011 4:58:36 PM

Download and install malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org). After installation, perform an update and then a FULL scan of your system. Make take a while, but delete everything it finds. I suspect you have some internet nasties that your other tools haven't found.

Good luck!
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2011 6:08:10 AM

COLGeek said:
Download and install malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org). After installation, perform an update and then a FULL scan of your system. Make take a while, but delete everything it finds. I suspect you have some internet nasties that your other tools haven't found.

Good luck!

Well i would but as i said it wont let me. I have tried a repair install andit wont do that either so im thinking new HDD and reinstall required.
just wish i knew what it was that was doing it.
Related resources
February 24, 2011 7:32:21 AM

Did you try all these scan for spyware, viruses, etc in normal or also SAFE mode ?? Safe mode would be your best bet...
February 24, 2011 7:44:29 AM

You could slave your HDD onto another system, and scan the volume from another computer's OS.
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2011 3:33:48 PM

RickyT23 said:
You could slave your HDD onto another system, and scan the volume from another computer's OS.

Thats not a bad idea but i would worry that if my AV didnt pick up teh issue then why would another ? Would it be safe for teh other system if i put my drive in a caddy and connected it that way ? obviously scanning it first. I just dont want to infect another PC if it is a virus and not a screwed reg .

I have run Malware bytes in safe maode and normal mode and nothing. Same with advanced system care.

It seems that there is something stopping stuff downloading and running in normal mode but i can do both in Safe mode. Nothing is finding an issue either in safe mode or not.

Anymore ideas.

Mactronix :) 
February 24, 2011 3:49:53 PM

How about installing service pack 1 or booting with win7 DVD and try to repair from there. There is an automatic procedure if i'm not mistaken. Also you can try a full check disk -> chkdsk c: /r to scan your C drive for errors. Just throwing out ideas :D 
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2011 7:59:36 PM

All ideas appreciated, thanks. It wont do a repair install says it cant access the files once it has coppied them from the disc.
Im doing full Update at the moment. Im begining to suspect something has messed with teh security settings my wifes settings can download but still wont install. :fou: 
I really dont want to do a full re- Install if i can help it . :cry: 

a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2011 9:41:35 PM

Thanks to all, I have bit the bullet and done a reinstall even that was a pain as it wouldnt format the drive so i installed Ubuntu [:lectrocrew:1] Then reformated a partition and reinstalled.

Thanks again to all for trying to help.

!