Upgrading RAM prolems

Hey all,
I am new to this, I hope you all will be patient with me.

Current System:
ASUS A7V266-E Mobo
512MB RAM
160G WD 8MB Cache - 40G Maxtor 2MB Cache - 20G Maxtor 2MB Cache
BusLink DVD-ROM - HP 9500b CD-Writer - Sony 3.5" Floppy
ATI (built by, not just the chipset) All-In-Wonder 8500DV - 17" HP
Monitor @1280x1024 60Hz Resolution
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Value 5.1 Sound Card
3COM 10/100 3C905B NIC

I think that might be enough to get started! Ha

This Mobo has the capability of using 3 RAM chips, up to 3G of memory. I
have 2x 256MB chips, and tried to install a third 256MB chip. When
installed, some system files were erased (corrupted). Fine, I
reinstalled and tried again, after installing some programs, and
rebooting a few times, the same thing happened. Went to a different
brand, reinstalled, same thing.

Finally, I put it back to 2 x 256MB chips, and everything is working
great (once again). I am hoping to find SOMETHING out about this so I
can put another chip in for 3 x 256MB - 768MB total RAM.

Please, if you have any questions or comments, e-mail me:
chance_reid@charter.net

Thank you for your time.

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:53:01 -0000, "Chance T. Reid"
<chance_reid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey all,
> I am new to this, I hope you all will be patient with me.
>
>Current System:
>ASUS A7V266-E Mobo
>512MB RAM
>160G WD 8MB Cache - 40G Maxtor 2MB Cache - 20G Maxtor 2MB Cache
>BusLink DVD-ROM - HP 9500b CD-Writer - Sony 3.5" Floppy
>ATI (built by, not just the chipset) All-In-Wonder 8500DV - 17" HP
> Monitor @1280x1024 60Hz Resolution
>Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Value 5.1 Sound Card
>3COM 10/100 3C905B NIC
>

>I think that might be enough to get started! Ha
>
>This Mobo has the capability of using 3 RAM chips, up to 3G of memory. I
>have 2x 256MB chips, and tried to install a third 256MB chip. When
>installed, some system files were erased (corrupted). Fine, I
>reinstalled and tried again, after installing some programs, and
>rebooting a few times, the same thing happened. Went to a different
>brand, reinstalled, same thing.

Board isn't stable with 3 memory modules at SPD speed & 133MHz
(DDR266) Memory bus, not uncommon for KT266/333 chipset boards.

>Finally, I put it back to 2 x 256MB chips, and everything is working
>great (once again). I am hoping to find SOMETHING out about this so I
>can put another chip in for 3 x 256MB - 768MB total RAM.
>
>Please, if you have any questions or comments, e-mail me:
>chance_reid@charter.net
>
>Thank you for your time.

You might need to replace both of the current modules, but the
first thing to try is changing the BIOS memory timings to slower
values (higher numbers). You might also benefit from lowering the
FSB speed (which will of course underclock the CPU some too), or
lower the clock but raise CPU multiplier so CPU remains at
similar speed. If your bios has memory options like "Optimal" or
"Turbo", do not use Turbo. You might try updating the bios too,
often they improved memory compability with later bios versions.

If the board has memory voltage settings in the bios, you might
try increasing those, for example if it's running at 2.5-2.6,
raise to 2.7. Above 2.7 might work but is going to create more
heat, which you would need to check.

Before booting to the operating system (after ANY memory changes)
run http://www.memtest86.com for several hours... not only will
it help to confirm proper operation but minimize potential for
file corruption or other related problems.

> You might need to replace both of the current modules, but the
> first thing to try is changing the BIOS memory timings to slower
> values (higher numbers). You might also benefit from lowering the
> FSB speed (which will of course underclock the CPU some too), or
> lower the clock but raise CPU multiplier so CPU remains at
> similar speed. If your bios has memory options like "Optimal" or
> "Turbo", do not use Turbo. You might try updating the bios too,
> often they improved memory compability with later bios versions.
>
> If the board has memory voltage settings in the bios, you might
> try increasing those, for example if it's running at 2.5-2.6,
> raise to 2.7. Above 2.7 might work but is going to create more
> heat, which you would need to check.
>
> Before booting to the operating system (after ANY memory changes)
> run http://www.memtest86.com for several hours... not only will
> it help to confirm proper operation but minimize potential for
> file corruption or other related problems.

> Board isn't stable with 3 memory modules at SPD speed & 133MHz
> (DDR266) Memory bus, not uncommon for KT266/333 chipset boards.

What can I do to make it stable??? I have my system currently re-
programmed the I like with just the 2 chips at 512MB RAM. I am not
really interested in messing it up again as it takes HOURS upon HOURS of
reinstalling applications.

I have run the Memtest86 program, with the three memory modules in place,
I let it run for 7 hours and never reported a problem. But still while
installing applications, it crashes.

I want to use my old AMD Athlon 1800+ chip in this motherboard, and use
my current AMD Athlon 2400+ in a new motherboard. I am having problems
finding a Socket A motherboard that supports PC133 memory (would just be
nice, but not necessary).

I am thinking of replacing this mobo with a newer model that can utilize
the 4 PC2100 chips (each at 256MB = 1G), but not sure what's best - Any
suggestions?

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:29:09 -0000, "Chance T. Reid"
<chance_reid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Board isn't stable with 3 memory modules at SPD speed & 133MHz
>> (DDR266) Memory bus, not uncommon for KT266/333 chipset boards.
>
>What can I do to make it stable??? I have my system currently re-
>programmed the I like with just the 2 chips at 512MB RAM. I am not
>really interested in messing it up again as it takes HOURS upon HOURS of
>reinstalling applications.

Make a system backup prior to changing memory config, then if
necesary you can restore it later.

Try testing with memtest86 at higher FSB & Memory speed, that is,
overclocking just to see that there is higher margin for
stability over intended operating speed. Then you might try
setting slowest memory timings... if that doesn't work your only
recourse may be different motherboard and/or different memory
(preferribly both), or using fewer mem modules.

>I have run the Memtest86 program, with the three memory modules in place,
>I let it run for 7 hours and never reported a problem. But still while
>installing applications, it crashes.

That is unusual, typically with corruption happening that
frequently memtest would show errors. Is it possible you have a
power supply problem, that voltages are dipping too low when rest
of system adds additional load beyond that seen while testing
memory? I would still suspect the memory quality (sometimes a
module may be fine by itself or with a 2nd module yet adding many
the SPD timings may not suffice, they might need manually set
slower (higher numbers) in bios setup), or the board's KT266
chipset. If you're not running an updated bios version you might
try flashing new bios as well, but with only minimal amount of
memory installed so system remains stable during that.

>I want to use my old AMD Athlon 1800+ chip in this motherboard, and use
>my current AMD Athlon 2400+ in a new motherboard. I am having problems
>finding a Socket A motherboard that supports PC133 memory (would just be
>nice, but not necessary).

There aren't many that would be worth consideration, primarily
those based on KT133A, KM266, or Sis 735. Of the three I'd
probably choose the Sis 735 but typically boards using it were
low-priced, lesser supported and/or lower quality products.

>I am thinking of replacing this mobo with a newer model that can utilize
>the 4 PC2100 chips (each at 256MB = 1G), but not sure what's best - Any
>suggestions?

Newer motherboards will be more stable, for example KT600 or
preferribly nForce2 boards. I've not tried running any with 4
modules, and cannot recommend a specific board in that
configuration, as I don't even recall which PC boards support 4
modules, they are rare. A few can be seen at
http://www.newegg.com . Newer, higher spec memory may be the
best option for the new board but KT266 wasn't very good with
many modules. You might check Asus' website to see which modules
they qualified for use with that board if you really want to
reuse it.

> Newer motherboards will be more stable, for example KT600 or
> preferribly nForce2 boards. I've not tried running any with 4
> modules, and cannot recommend a specific board in that
> configuration, as I don't even recall which PC boards support 4
> modules, they are rare. A few can be seen at
> http://www.newegg.com . Newer, higher spec memory may be the
> best option for the new board but KT266 wasn't very good with
> many modules. You might check Asus' website to see which modules
> they qualified for use with that board if you really want to
> reuse it.

Well, I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to keep the 4
memory modules that I have now, and what I will do is buy a motherboard
that will support the PC2100, and the 2400+ that I am currently using. I
will keep the mobo that I am using now and build a system for my wife, to
replace her Compaq I'm-sario that she's using, I will set that aside for
use for my child when she's old enough. The system that I will build for
her, and the new mobo for myself will both just use two each of the RAM
modules that I have, for a total of 512MB for each system, I thought
about it, and that's completely and totally enough for the things that we
do, and I am sure that I can get some great parts from Newegg, that's
where I got my CPU and one RAM chip from.

Any suggestions on specific mobo's??? I really love the performance that
my current ASUS has given me. Although I am reading some good things
about the Nvidia chipset boards, I don't want anything with onboard
video, Raid would be nice, not for the Raid functions, but for the extra
IDE support.

"Chance T. Reid" <chance_reid@hotmail.com> said:

> I really love the performance that
> my current ASUS has given me. Although I am reading some good things
> about the Nvidia chipset boards

The Asus nforce boards are among the fastest boards made.
--
Mac Cool

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:02:18 -0000, "Chance T. Reid"
<chance_reid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Newer motherboards will be more stable, for example KT600 or
>> preferribly nForce2 boards. I've not tried running any with 4
>> modules, and cannot recommend a specific board in that
>> configuration, as I don't even recall which PC boards support 4
>> modules, they are rare. A few can be seen at
>> http://www.newegg.com . Newer, higher spec memory may be the
>> best option for the new board but KT266 wasn't very good with
>> many modules. You might check Asus' website to see which modules
>> they qualified for use with that board if you really want to
>> reuse it.
>>
>Well, I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to keep the 4
>memory modules that I have now, and what I will do is buy a motherboard
>that will support the PC2100, and the 2400+ that I am currently using. I
>will keep the mobo that I am using now and build a system for my wife, to
>replace her Compaq I'm-sario that she's using, I will set that aside for
>use for my child when she's old enough. The system that I will build for
>her, and the new mobo for myself will both just use two each of the RAM
>modules that I have, for a total of 512MB for each system, I thought
>about it, and that's completely and totally enough for the things that we
>do, and I am sure that I can get some great parts from Newegg, that's
>where I got my CPU and one RAM chip from.
>
>Any suggestions on specific mobo's??? I really love the performance that
>my current ASUS has given me. Although I am reading some good things
>about the Nvidia chipset boards, I don't want anything with onboard
>video, Raid would be nice, not for the Raid functions, but for the extra
>IDE support.

Relatively speaking, your current motherboard has poor
performance. The main limiter in your desired features is the
RAID controller, that most new chipsets have moved to providing
SATA instead of PATA RAID.

If it had not been for that requirement I'd have suggested either
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe or Abit NF7-S. I prefer the Asus board but the
Abit has the edge for overclocking if that is a concern, yet it
even lacks the SATA, IIRC. Abit AN7 has it but still commands a
higher price.

Boards with additional ATA133 channel include (not entirely
certain of model numbers but think these are correct):

Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
MSI K7N2 Delta

All of the above are nForce2 boards. They do not have integrated
video, nForce2 is simply faster ignoring the option for
integrated video that few different models do offer.