udma6 on ata100

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Just wondering why my ata133 maxtor 80gig is detected in both xp and various
hd utils as having udma6 enabled when my board (MSI K7 turbo2) is only
capable of udma5. (bios reports ATA 100)

I know, most people have the reverse problem! (maybe I should be be grateful
:))

---

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:19:56 GMT, "Chris" <cb@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Just wondering why my ata133 maxtor 80gig is detected in both xp and various
>hd utils as having udma6 enabled when my board (MSI K7 turbo2) is only
>capable of udma5. (bios reports ATA 100)
>
>I know, most people have the reverse problem! (maybe I should be be grateful
>:))

Probably means udma6 _CAPABLE_, since it can't possibly operate
at that speed if IDE controller doesn't support it. You're not
losing out on much though, ATA100 is fine for modern drives.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:19:56 GMT, "Chris" <cb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Just wondering why my ata133 maxtor 80gig is detected in both xp and
various
> >hd utils as having udma6 enabled when my board (MSI K7 turbo2) is only
> >capable of udma5. (bios reports ATA 100)
> >
> >I know, most people have the reverse problem! (maybe I should be be
grateful
> >:))
> >

> Probably means udma6 _CAPABLE_, since it can't possibly operate
> at that speed if IDE controller doesn't support it. You're not
> losing out on much though, ATA100 is fine for modern drives.

Nope, capable AND active, I guess it must be lying as my board uses the
kt133a chipset and 686 southbridge.....
Certainly I'm only achieving burst rates of around 80mb/sec...., (expect
maybe 100+ for udma6) tried reinstalling drivers, but it stays stuck at
udma6...

I do have a Zip drive slaved off, could this be the cause?

---