How to do a clean instal.

Dear friends,

For some unknown reasons Win XP Pro has become very unstable (cannot be virus -
as I have ZA suite acting as anti virus and firewall).

I would like to do a clean install of everything and would like to know the
detailed process to do such a thing. I am fairly ok with computers and I have
already installed XP over itself but this has not cured the problems.

Any full instructions and web site lin on how to do a clean install of Win XP
Pro is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

groove

RayOfLight said this...

> I would like to do a clean install of everything and would like to know
> the detailed process to do such a thing. I am fairly ok with computers
> and I have already installed XP over itself but this has not cured the
> problems.

Boot from the XP CD. You may have to go into your BIOS and change the boot
settings to allow a boot from CD as first option.
Once you have booted from cd simply follow the instructions to re-format
your HD and do the install.

--
º~ david ~º

Backing up any important data first of course....

groove

Alex B said this...

> Backing up any important data first of course....

Absolutely. Since the OP is computer-literate didn't think it necessary to
mention that.
I normally install the Belarc advisor and use this to list all the
installed stuff. Then work through the list and figure out what needs
serials and what needs stuff saving.
Make sure you have things like firewall installers stored to CD so you can
make the machine safe to connect to internet.

--
º~ david ~º

"Groove" <grooove@FRAGmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Alex B said this...
>
> > Backing up any important data first of course....
> >

> Absolutely. Since the OP is computer-literate didn't think it necessary to
> mention that.
> I normally install the Belarc advisor and use this to list all the
> installed stuff. Then work through the list and figure out what needs
> serials and what needs stuff saving.
> Make sure you have things like firewall installers stored to CD so you can
> make the machine safe to connect to internet.
>

> --
> º~ david ~º

David

I have Bel Arc Advisor also but it does not show all the installation keys
for software. I have bought some software as downloads from the net and
would like to know where or how to find these keys. Can you help?

PWY

groove

PWY said this...

> I have Bel Arc Advisor also but it does not show all the installation
> keys for software. I have bought some software as downloads from the net
> and would like to know where or how to find these keys. Can you help?

Hehe. That's not an easy one to answer. Some of the stuff I've bought on-
line gets a serial emailed, some does not have a serial at all but just a
secret download location. Some stuff will show the serial perhaps under the
Help or About menu. It's a broad subject I'm afraid with no catch-all
answer.

--

> PWY said this...
>
> > I have Bel Arc Advisor also but it does not show all the installation
> > keys for software. I have bought some software as downloads from the net
> > and would like to know where or how to find these keys. Can you help?
> >

> Hehe. That's not an easy one to answer. Some of the stuff I've bought on-
> line gets a serial emailed, some does not have a serial at all but just a
> secret download location. Some stuff will show the serial perhaps under
the
> Help or About menu. It's a broad subject I'm afraid with no catch-all
> answer.
>
> --
> º~ david ~º

Yes I know what you mean. The ones that were Emailed I printed and have
somewhere.
It sure would be nice to have a utility that could retrieve this info from
the computer as it must be there somewhere.
Thanks anyway
PWY

Thanks guys for your quick replies. One more thing I read all around that when
you boot from the Win XP Pro CD you get the blue screen with details on it -
like install, repair etc...But with my CD it just goes straight to the GUI
interface!! Am I missing something?

Thanks for the stressing the backup stuffs. Ya I know it and usually I backup on
2 locations just to be 100% sure.

Looking forward for your kind help.

Cheers.

groove

RayOfLight said this...

> Thanks guys for your quick replies. One more thing I read all around
> that when you boot from the Win XP Pro CD you get the blue screen with
> details on it - like install, repair etc...But with my CD it just goes
> straight to the GUI interface!! Am I missing something?

Have a look at Blackviper's stuff..

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm

And when you're done, check out his info on tuning services, it's first
rate.

--
º~ david ~º

"PWY" wrote:
> "Groove" wrote:
> > PWY said this...
> >
> > > I have Bel Arc Advisor also but it does not show all the installation
> > > keys for software. I have bought some software as downloads from the net
> > > and would like to know where or how to find these keys. Can you help?
> > >

> > Hehe. That's not an easy one to answer. Some of the stuff I've bought on-
> > line gets a serial emailed, some does not have a serial at all but just a
> > secret download location. Some stuff will show the serial perhaps under
> the
> > Help or About menu. It's a broad subject I'm afraid with no catch-all
> > answer.

> Yes I know what you mean. The ones that were Emailed I printed and have
> somewhere.
> It sure would be nice to have a utility that could retrieve this info from
> the computer as it must be there somewhere.

It won't help you now, but get in the habit of saving all of your ownership information to a file; with so
many releases distro'd via the internet now it's the surest way to keep them all in *one* place that you
won't forget about.

Jon

Dino

RayOfLight wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> For some unknown reasons Win XP Pro has become very unstable (cannot be virus -
> as I have ZA suite acting as anti virus and firewall).
>
> I would like to do a clean install of everything and would like to know the
> detailed process to do such a thing. I am fairly ok with computers and I have
> already installed XP over itself but this has not cured the problems.
>
> Any full instructions and web site lin on how to do a clean install of Win XP
> Pro is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot.

If You have installed the new Zonealarm security suit that might be Your
problem.It is worst than a viris on some machines.I would remove it and
see if stability returns and also go to ZA forums to read about all the
problems ZA has caused.

try searching in the registry. thats where windows stores your serial
number that you entered at install so assuming other software
manufacturers do the same you should have a pretty good chance searching
through there.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:16:41 -0400, Dino <nospam@nospam.kr> wrote:

>If You have installed the new Zonealarm security suit that might be Your
>problem.It is worst than a viris on some machines.I would remove it and
>see if stability returns and also go to ZA forums to read about all the
>problems ZA has caused.

Did I say you are godsend Dino? I spent countess hours figuring out the problem
and never ever suspected Zonealrm security software! I have been using and
praising it's firewall (version 4.0 and 4.5) all the time and recommended it to
many people - Rock solid and superbly efficient. But then got the *bright* idea
of getting the security suite!! Firewall and anti virus in one software was
tempting and this is when the problem started. But could not suspect Zonelarm
still !!

Thanks a lot Dino for your help.

Cheers mate.

"RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
> Thanks guys for your quick replies. One more thing I read all around that
> when
> you boot from the Win XP Pro CD you get the blue screen with details on
> it -
> like install, repair etc...But with my CD it just goes straight to the GUI
> interface!! Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks for the stressing the backup stuffs. Ya I know it and usually I
> backup on
> 2 locations just to be 100% sure.
>
> Looking forward for your kind help.
>
> Cheers.

Be sure that you BIOS is set to boot from CD first. Some systems from the
manufacturer have that option either disabled or set last after floppy and
HD boot options.

Regards,
John O.