Celeron 400 win upgrade

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

My system is a Celeron 400 MHz with 128 MB running win98 se. Applications
are nothing more than hotmail, surfing and VCD. Playing VCD is acceptable.
Did you think I can go for win2k/xp? Or the best I can have is Me?

Sender wrote:

> My system is a Celeron 400 MHz with 128 MB running win98 se. Applications
> are nothing more than hotmail, surfing and VCD. Playing VCD is acceptable.
> Did you think I can go for win2k/xp? Or the best I can have is Me?

I wouldn't ever ruin a perfectly good system by putting WinME on it.

As for Win2K/XP, why, if win98se is doing the job?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:22:45 +0800, "Sender" <sender@happy.net>
wrote:

>My system is a Celeron 400 MHz with 128 MB running win98 se. Applications
>are nothing more than hotmail, surfing and VCD. Playing VCD is acceptable.
>Did you think I can go for win2k/xp? Or the best I can have is Me?

Win98SE is better than WinME, but if you really want 2K or XP,
they'll run, a bit slower due to speed of system, but you'll want
to add a minimum of 64MB more memory, and even then it would run
slower than with Win98SE. If someone mentioned your system specs
and inquired about the best windows OS to use, I'd tell them
Win98SE.

If you have stability problems, keep in mind that it might not be
Win98SE but the system itself, that the problem will remain after
an OS switch. For all it's little quirks Win98SE can be quite
stable within it's limitations, like resource limits, HDD
capacity, etc.

jk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

If your applications run fine then leave your system alone. If you want to use
Windows XP, then I suggest that you give away this system, and get an
Athlon XP or Athlon 64 system with 512 meg of ram(or more) that comes with
Windows XP. Putting Windows XP on your current system is aking for
trouble.