new canon MP360 won't print black text

Have new Canon MP360 which will not print any black text. Not a black
cartridge problem as it will print black text in a .jpg image. Seems
to be a problem with only text from .doc or .txt files. Also would not
print out a webpage. Any suggestions please how to sort this?
Many thanks,
DW

"D. Wilson" <d.wilson@not-at-this-address.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have new Canon MP360 which will not print any black text. Not a black
> cartridge problem as it will print black text in a .jpg image. Seems
> to be a problem with only text from .doc or .txt files. Also would not
> print out a webpage. Any suggestions please how to sort this?
> Many thanks,

Black text is printed using the BCI-24BK ink tank where the black in a .jpg
or other graphic is composite (mixed colors).
Do one to two printhead cleanings as per the manual and then the Nozzle
Test.
If you still get no black in the Nozzle Test then it is either a empty
BCI-24BK ink tank or a bad printhead. The printhead on that mdel is covered
under the warranty so give Canon a Call.

lew

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

On 2004-08-16, D Wilson <d.wilson@not-at-this-address.co.uk> wrote:
> Have new Canon MP360 which will not print any black text. Not a black
> cartridge problem as it will print black text in a .jpg image. Seems
> to be a problem with only text from .doc or .txt files. Also would not
> print out a webpage. Any suggestions please how to sort this?
> Many thanks,
> DW

Did you select "greyscale" for printing? I found that for black text
on a text file requires I set the property to greyscale for mono black
printing on my ip3000. The icon changes from multicolor to black when
black text only is desired. I've decided to set my ip3000 to greyscale
& duplex as default and change to color when doing color prints when
needed.

Your mp360 may need to have a similar function to change for just black
text mode printing.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:45:08 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net>
scribbled:

>Black text is printed using the BCI-24BK ink tank where the black in a .jpg
>or other graphic is composite (mixed colors).
>Do one to two printhead cleanings as per the manual and then the Nozzle
>Test.
>If you still get no black in the Nozzle Test then it is either a empty
>BCI-24BK ink tank or a bad printhead. The printhead on that mdel is covered
>under the warranty so give Canon a Call.

Thanks for all replies. Will do cleaning/nozzle test/try different
black cart, etc and see if it sorts it. Was brand new. Glad to know
warranty will cover if it's printhead problem!
Cheers,
DW

In article D. Wilson says...
> Have new Canon MP360 which will not print any black text. Not a black
> cartridge problem as it will print black text in a .jpg image. Seems
> to be a problem with only text from .doc or .txt files. Also would not
> print out a webpage. Any suggestions please how to sort this?
> Many thanks,
> DW

The black cart is pigment ink used only for text. Black in a jpg is
mixed from the colours in the other cart.

The print head areas will be different too so either there is a problem
with the ink or the text nozzles. Has it ever worked or was it new a
ream of paper ago?