Problems Installing Asus A7N8X-E

griff

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2004

Anybody had problems installing one of these? I have an
athlon xp 3000 cpu 2 hard drives etc. I put in the drives,
memory (matched Crucial) and mon, kb , mouse, all
recognised in the bios. Put in a new 8x radeon 9200 se
128mb just in case and windows would not start. Just posted
OK and looped to reboot. There is a glimpse of a BSOD but it
doesn't stay. I turned off sata raid on the jumper and all
the other bios settings are default. All worked ok on my old
asrock mobo.

Any one got any ideas? Thanks

Geoff

steveh

"Griff" <griffteleonomy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Anybody had problems installing one of these? I have an
> athlon xp 3000 cpu 2 hard drives etc. I put in the drives,
> memory (matched Crucial) and mon, kb , mouse, all
> recognised in the bios. Put in a new 8x radeon 9200 se
> 128mb just in case and windows would not start. Just posted
> OK and looped to reboot. There is a glimpse of a BSOD but it
> doesn't stay. I turned off sata raid on the jumper and all
> the other bios settings are default. All worked ok on my old
> asrock mobo.
>
> Any one got any ideas? Thanks
>
> Geoff

Is your XP an existing install that you already had on the HDD?
If so, your problem is that the mobo's and hence the board drivers are
different.
With XP, you can't always just swap the mobo for a different one and expect
it to work, I'm afraid.
Your best bet with a board change like yours is a clean install of XP.
Failing that, boot from the XP cd and do a repair install.

HTH
SteveH

griff

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:35:38 GMT, "SteveH"
<steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Griff" <griffteleonomy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Anybody had problems installing one of these? I have an
>> athlon xp 3000 cpu 2 hard drives etc. I put in the drives,
>> memory (matched Crucial) and mon, kb , mouse, all
>> recognised in the bios. Put in a new 8x radeon 9200 se
>> 128mb just in case and windows would not start. Just posted
>> OK and looped to reboot. There is a glimpse of a BSOD but it
>> doesn't stay. I turned off sata raid on the jumper and all
>> the other bios settings are default. All worked ok on my old
>> asrock mobo.
>>
>> Any one got any ideas? Thanks
>>
>> Geoff
>
>Is your XP an existing install that you already had on the HDD?
>If so, your problem is that the mobo's and hence the board drivers are
>different.
>With XP, you can't always just swap the mobo for a different one and expect
>it to work, I'm afraid.
>Your best bet with a board change like yours is a clean install of XP.
>Failing that, boot from the XP cd and do a repair install.
>
>HTH
>SteveH

Thanks for that, I didn't know a repair install would work,
but I am going to give it a try. Appreciate your reply, I
was pretty sure I had done nothing wrong and was
contemplating an install, in fact I am now formatting
another older drive to see if that will work (which it seems
to be)

Geoff