Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pages per cartridge - Canon i9950 & i950

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:40:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hi all,

Using some ISO standard photo patten Canon claim you will get the following
number of pages from the cartridges in the i9950:
photo magenta: 280
photo cyan: 380
yellow: 540
magenta: 790
cyan: 1100
black: 1100
red: 2300
green: 2300

A friend as the i950, and reckons he managed to get about 50 pages from the
photo magenta cartridge, and siginificantly less pages than Canon quotes from
all the other colours too. His doesn't have the red and green, but seeing as
they barely get used compared to the photo magenta, photo cyan, and yellow, it
would seem they don't make much difference to the ink usage of the i9950 if
Canon's figures are anything to go on with regard to ratios.

It would seem the ISO "standard photo pattern" test is a load of rubbish and not
worth anything to consumers, particularly those wishing to estimate the cost of
using a printer in a business.

My friend thinks it will cost about AU$1 (US$0.70) per A4 page in ink. Does that
seem reasonable?
--
Ben Thomas
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:10:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> My friend thinks it will cost about AU$1 (US$0.70) per A4 page in ink.
Does that
> seem reasonable?

Yes it's a resonable price.

> Using some ISO standard photo patten Canon claim you will get the
following
> number of pages from the cartridges in the i9950:
> photo magenta: 280
> photo cyan: 380
> yellow: 540
> magenta: 790
> cyan: 1100
> black: 1100
> red: 2300
> green: 2300

I don't think that it's a ISO standard, just a Canon standard with a
specific photo, take a look at canon's site.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:10:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Yianni" <in@mailbox9.gr> wrote in message news:<1092647419.29862@athnrd02>...

> > Using some ISO standard photo patten Canon claim you will get the
> following
> > number of pages from the cartridges in the i9950:
> > photo magenta: 280
> > photo cyan: 380
> > yellow: 540
> > magenta: 790
> > cyan: 1100
> > black: 1100
> > red: 2300
> > green: 2300
>
> I don't think that it's a ISO standard, just a Canon standard with a
> specific photo, take a look at canon's site.

Don't know if those numbers are the ISO ones, but Canon does publish
ISO usage numbers for their inks. May not be usable to determine how
much a photo-print costs, but probably is a good measure to compare
ink usage vs other mfgr's printers because the image is constant.

Mike
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 12:09:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article BenOne© says...
> It would seem the ISO "standard photo pattern" test is a load of rubbish and not
> worth anything to consumers, particularly those wishing to estimate the cost of
> using a printer in a business.
>
The Canon test is a mixed text and colour graphic on plain paper. If you
are wanting 100%coverage on photo paper results you'll have to look
somewhere else
August 17, 2004 12:09:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <MPG.1b8b32de8b23f5e4989818@news.xtra.co.nz>,
colincomma@yawhoo.com says...
> In article BenOne© says...
> > It would seem the ISO "standard photo pattern" test is a load of rubbish and not
> > worth anything to consumers, particularly those wishing to estimate the cost of
> > using a printer in a business.
> >
> The Canon test is a mixed text and colour graphic on plain paper. If you
> are wanting 100%coverage on photo paper results you'll have to look
> somewhere else
>

It has been my experience (and Ive been using ink jets since their
inception), that if you are talking PHOTOS, you should guestimate your ink
costs at $2 US per page (8x10), $1.50 per page (5x7).

These figures are for current Canon inkjets,(i950, i960) with Canon
cartridges.

Re-fills will lower cost only SLIGHTLY, as refilled carts do seem to need
more cleaning cycles to to keep 'em printing. (not as bad as Epson, but a
small problem)

HP PhotoSmart 7660 et, al., have a cost ratio of about $5 to $7 per 8x10 page
using Hp Carts (non refill).

Lexmark are so high per page cost, and so low quality photo printing they
cant be considered usable.






--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 12:09:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b8a3e2dbbed7d90989702@news.comcast.giganews.com...
In article <MPG.1b8b32de8b23f5e4989818@news.xtra.co.nz>,
colincomma@yawhoo.com says...
>> In article BenOne© says...
>> > It would seem the ISO "standard photo pattern" test is a load of rubbish
and not
> >> worth anything to consumers, particularly those wishing to estimate the
cost of
>> > using a printer in a business.
>> >
> >The Canon test is a mixed text and colour graphic on plain paper. If you
> >are wanting 100%coverage on photo paper results you'll have to look
>> somewhere else
>

>It has been my experience (and Ive been using ink jets since their
>inception), that if you are talking PHOTOS, you should guestimate your ink
>costs at $2 US per page (8x10), $1.50 per page (5x7).


Why are 5x7 2.5 cents per sq. in. but 5x7 prints 4.3 per sq. in.?
I would think a 5x7 should take less than half as much ink as an
8x10

>These figures are for current Canon inkjets,(i950, i960) with Canon
>cartridges.

>Re-fills will lower cost only SLIGHTLY, as refilled carts do seem to need
>more cleaning cycles to to keep 'em printing. (not as bad as Epson, but a
>small problem)

I have a Canon i850. I have printed 500 8.5 x 11 photos. I have used
less than half of the $50 ink that I bought. My actual cost is about
5 cents per 8.5x11 photo. I get between 50 and 75 photos per refill.

>HP PhotoSmart 7660 et, al., have a cost ratio of about $5 to $7 per 8x10 page
>using Hp Carts (non refill).

>Lexmark are so high per page cost, and so low quality photo printing they
>cant be considered usable.






--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 12:09:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b8a3e2dbbed7d90989702@news.comcast.giganews.com...
In article <MPG.1b8b32de8b23f5e4989818@news.xtra.co.nz>,
colincomma@yawhoo.com says...
> In article BenOne© says...
> > It would seem the ISO "standard photo pattern" test is a load of rubbish
and not
> > worth anything to consumers, particularly those wishing to estimate the
cost of
> > using a printer in a business.
> >
> The Canon test is a mixed text and colour graphic on plain paper. If you
> are wanting 100%coverage on photo paper results you'll have to look
> somewhere else
>

It has been my experience (and Ive been using ink jets since their
inception), that if you are talking PHOTOS, you should guestimate your ink
costs at $2 US per page (8x10), $1.50 per page (5x7).

These figures are for current Canon inkjets,(i950, i960) with Canon
cartridges.

I will assume you are talking U.S. $ and including paper cost here, if not
then you are WAY off mark!
Even with paper it would still be just around $1
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 12:09:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

>
> Re-fills will lower cost only SLIGHTLY, as refilled carts do seem to need
> more cleaning cycles to to keep 'em printing. (not as bad as Epson, but a
> small problem)
>

I really don't see how you can say refills will lower costs only
slightly. I refill for about $1.00 per color compared to 11.99 for new
ink. That is $6.00, for a complete set, compared to $71.94. I would say
that is more than slightly cheaper, wouldn't you? I can do a lot of
cleaning cycles for $65.94. I don't have to do any more cleaning cycles
than I would with new ink.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 7:40:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Refilling will vastly lower operating costs. I did a Google search for some
of my previous postings about ink costs and copied the following text from a
July 2003 posting. At the time I wrote the following I only had an s820. Now
it is two s820 and one i950 and the ink consumption is about the same for
either printer.
==============================
Actually your cost estimate may be a little on the high side, but by all
means it is vastly better than OEM ink prices or even the cost of third
party tanks. I have an s820 which has 6 tanks vs. the 4 in an i850. Both the
s820 and the i950 use the same BCI-6 tanks. BCI-3 as in the i850 and BCI-6
tanks are identical in size and capacity. The only difference is ink
formulations which are different for the two types of printers. Both the
supplier you reference and the one I use appear to use bulk ink from
Formulabs which is one of, if not, the best maker of inks. Because I
purchased my ink in 1 pint bottles (480 cc's) that works out to 2880 cc's
for a set of six bottles. I can usually print about 40 full coverage 8.5 x
11 sheets before needing to refill when the first low ink warning pops up.
At that time I install my entire #2 set of cartridges and then refill the
entire set #1. Two of the cartridges will usually take 5cc's to top off the
ink reservoir, 3 will take 3 cc's and one takes 2 cc's. This is a total
consumption of 21 cc's. I paid less than $70 U.S. incl shipping for the six
pints which works out to about 50¢ per refilling session after printing 40
sheets. My net cost is approx. 1.2¢ per sheet. Ink purchased in smaller
quantities will cost more per ounce, but by any estimate it is a great cost
savings. I do a very large amount of printing and have easily saved the cost
of several printers since the first of the year. The i950 should be
equivalent in consumption to the s820, so the original poster can easily get
an idea that even buying some of the most expensive bulk refill inks, his
costs per page will be extremely low. I know he was asking for comparisons
on Canon and Epson models, but because of my total satisfaction with Canon,
I won't even consider any other inkjet.
==============================
--
Ron Cohen

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b8a3e2dbbed7d90989702@news.comcast.giganews.com...
In article <MPG.1b8b32de8b23f5e4989818@news.xtra.co.nz>,
colincomma@yawhoo.com says...
> In article BenOne© says...
> > It would seem the ISO "standard photo pattern" test is a load of rubbish
and not
> > worth anything to consumers, particularly those wishing to estimate the
cost of
> > using a printer in a business.
> >
> The Canon test is a mixed text and colour graphic on plain paper. If you
> are wanting 100%coverage on photo paper results you'll have to look
> somewhere else
>

It has been my experience (and Ive been using ink jets since their
inception), that if you are talking PHOTOS, you should guestimate your ink
costs at $2 US per page (8x10), $1.50 per page (5x7).

These figures are for current Canon inkjets,(i950, i960) with Canon
cartridges.

Re-fills will lower cost only SLIGHTLY, as refilled carts do seem to need
more cleaning cycles to to keep 'em printing. (not as bad as Epson, but a
small problem)

HP PhotoSmart 7660 et, al., have a cost ratio of about $5 to $7 per 8x10
page
using Hp Carts (non refill).

Lexmark are so high per page cost, and so low quality photo printing they
cant be considered usable.






--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.


---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.740 / Virus Database: 494 - Release Date: 8/16/2004
August 17, 2004 10:34:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <1r2Uc.48440$Uh.11407@fed1read02>, do@not.reply says...
> I have a Canon i850. I have printed 500 8.5 x 11 photos. I have used
> less than half of the $50 ink that I bought. My actual cost is about
> 5 cents per 8.5x11 photo. I get between 50 and 75 photos per refill.
>

You will notice I did not mention the i850...

Thats simply because I have no experience with it.

I thought the i850 to be a 4 color printer, which may, or may not change
printing costs.



--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
August 17, 2004 10:43:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <E5GdnQbf1aP1o7zcRVn-hw@adelphia.com>, bfor@adelphia.net says...
> I really don't see how you can say refills will lower costs only
> slightly. I refill for about $1.00 per color compared to 11.99 for new
> ink. That is $6.00, for a complete set, compared to $71.94. I would say
> that is more than slightly cheaper, wouldn't you? I can do a lot of
> cleaning cycles for $65.94. I don't have to do any more cleaning cycles
> than I would with new ink.
>

I say it because the Magenta and Light magenta print heads clog more easily
with refilled carts (I have no idea why) and the printer requires MANY
cleaning cycles once they are clogged. Perhaps I should mention that I print
under conditions most people wont even consider and the high
dust/humidity/heat/and or cold conditions probably contribute to the problem.
(on site at indoor-outdoor events)

If I recall the original poster asked for real world print costs, and I
attempted to help him/her with numbers from experience.

As I stated, its not even close to the problems I've had with Epson, but it
happens.







--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
August 17, 2004 10:48:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <s6fUc.1223$Mt7.900@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>, drc023
@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net says...
> Subject: Re: Pages per cartridge - Canon i9950 & i950
> From: "Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net>
> Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
>
> Refilling will vastly lower operating costs. I did a Google search for some
> of my previous postings about ink costs and copied the following text from a
> July 2003 posting. At the time I wrote the following I only had an s820. Now
> it is two s820 and one i950 and the ink consumption is about the same for
> either printer.
> ==============================
> Actually your cost estimate may be a little on the high side, but by all
> means it is vastly better than OEM ink prices or even the cost of third
> party tanks. I have an s820 which has 6 tanks vs. the 4 in an i850. Both the
> s820 and the i950 use the same BCI-6 tanks. BCI-3 as in the i850 and BCI-6
> tanks are identical in size and capacity. The only difference is ink
> formulations which are different for the two types of printers. Both the
> supplier you reference and the one I use appear to use bulk ink from
> Formulabs which is one of, if not, the best maker of inks. Because I
> purchased my ink in 1 pint bottles (480 cc's) that works out to 2880 cc's
> for a set of six bottles. I can usually print about 40 full coverage 8.5 x
> 11 sheets before needing to refill when the first low ink warning pops up..
> At that time I install my entire #2 set of cartridges and then refill the
> entire set #1. Two of the cartridges will usually take 5cc's to top off the
> ink reservoir, 3 will take 3 cc's and one takes 2 cc's. This is a total
> consumption of 21 cc's. I paid less than $70 U.S. incl shipping for the six
> pints which works out to about 50¢ per refilling session after printing 40
> sheets. My net cost is approx. 1.2¢ per sheet. Ink purchased in smaller
> quantities will cost more per ounce, but by any estimate it is a great cost
> savings. I do a very large amount of printing and have easily saved the cost
> of several printers since the first of the year. The i950 should be
> equivalent in consumption to the s820, so the original poster can easily get
> an idea that even buying some of the most expensive bulk refill inks, his
> costs per page will be extremely low. I know he was asking for comparisons
> on Canon and Epson models, but because of my total satisfaction with Canon,
> I won't even consider any other inkjet.
> ==============================
> --
> Ron Cohen
>

I have recently switched ink suppliers and am now using Formulabs ink (after
MANY years of using MIS Associates ink).

I have not yet used enough of the new ink to come up with any numbers that
would be usefull.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 4:55:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article Yianni says...
> I don't think that it's a ISO standard, just a Canon standard with a
> specific photo, take a look at canon's site.
>
>
ISO JIS-SCID no. 5 pattern is a standard test image with a penny
farthing bicycle, fruit, colour gradients etc. Epson have used the same
image before.
!