connecting fine but........

I have connected my cable modem to cnet wireless router, wan lights are on
and seems to be working. (Not connected to my desktop yet.)
My laptop is telling me that I am connected and I have a strong signal. When
opening my browser, nothing!
My cable company has told me that I do not need their software installed on
my laptop to access the internet, is this true?
What should I do next.........
I am struggling to comprehend my new toy

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

You did not give a lot of information, but you probably do not need the
software installed. Is it PPPoE or something else, and does your router do
that? You may need to hard wire your laptop to get it set up. How do you
have the system set up as far as IP addresses, including DNS, and WEP
settings.

Clark

"sadsy" <gungerdin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have connected my cable modem to cnet wireless router, wan lights are on
>and seems to be working. (Not connected to my desktop yet.)
> My laptop is telling me that I am connected and I have a strong signal.
> When opening my browser, nothing!
> My cable company has told me that I do not need their software installed
> on my laptop to access the internet, is this true?
> What should I do next.........
> I am struggling to comprehend my new toy

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Don't know anything about cnet router but...
sadsy wrote:
> I have connected my cable modem to cnet wireless router, wan lights are on
> and seems to be working. (Not connected to my desktop yet.)
> My laptop is telling me that I am connected and I have a strong signal. When
> opening my browser, nothing!

Are you able to use your browser to see your router? Read your documentation for
the http://??? address. This is where you do the router setup. It's important
you don't just operate the wireless AP as is out of the box. (security)
If you are running XP you usually don't need any other software for your network
or the Internet. You should also be able to use your browser to see the cable
modem setup pages. Again see your documentation for the http://??? address. That
page should tell you if the modem is seeing the Internet. If you continue to
struggle... connect your laptop directly to the modem to make sure you can see
the Internet that way. (with CAT5 cable) Then cable directly into the router
(not wireless) and see if you can see the Internet that way. If you are running
XP the laptop should connect automatically. (maybe almost automatically)
Finally... are you running a firewall program? If so and it's Norton... make
sure you run the network wizard. (while you are hooked up to the AP which is
hooked up to the modem) That reminds me. Are you sure you connected the AP to
the modem correctly. Make sure the cable between the modem and AP is plugged
into the correct port on the AP.

"sadsy" wrote:
> I have connected my cable modem to cnet wireless router, wan lights are on
> and seems to be working. (Not connected to my desktop yet.)
> My laptop is telling me that I am connected and I have a strong signal. When
> opening my browser, nothing!
> My cable company has told me that I do not need their software installed on
> my laptop to access the internet, is this true?

Yes this can be true. For example, your cable modem can be configured
so that just the standard Windows PPPoE connection will work.
That would popup a logon dialog, then type your username and password to
proceed.

> What should I do next.........

a. Ask your cable company for exact, step by step instructions
(and be ready to follow them...)

b. Try to start without the wireless part.
Remove the wireless router and connect your PC with cable modem with an
ethernet cable. Get it working perfectly.
Then replace ethernet with wireless.

Regards,
--PA

Thanks guys and sorry but everything is on hold at the moment, to much to
do. I will try to get back to you soon.