upgrade what?...

Kris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

With Doom 3 coming next and other games like HL2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., I'm
almost sure that my current system isn't going to be sufficient. I
currently have an Athlon 1800+ with a Geforce Ti 4200 and 512mb RAM.

Sure, the RAM is easily upgraded, but what about the CPU and the video?
I'm wondering whether upgrading the videocard (f.e. to a Radeon 9800 Pro
128 MB), will increase the fps and also the quality of the graphics? I
don't want to be able to "just play" the game at decent frame rate, I also
want to enjoy the new (DX9) effects!

Or will the cpu be such a bottleneck I'll hardly notice any improvement?...

Thanks to anyone who can advice me!
Kris

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:02:39 +0200, "Kris" <kvdv@easynet.be>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>With Doom 3 coming next and other games like HL2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., I'm
>almost sure that my current system isn't going to be sufficient. I
>currently have an Athlon 1800+ with a Geforce Ti 4200 and 512mb RAM.

Yes

>Sure, the RAM is easily upgraded, but what about the CPU and the video?

Yes

>I'm wondering whether upgrading the videocard (f.e. to a Radeon 9800 Pro
>128 MB), will increase the fps and also the quality of the graphics?

Yes, and
yes

>I don't want to be able to "just play" the game at decent frame rate, I also
>want to enjoy the new (DX9) effects!
>
>Or will the cpu be such a bottleneck

Yes

>I'll hardly

No

>notice any improvement?...

Yes

>Thanks to anyone who can advice me!
>Kris

In case I didn't make it clear enough, you do need a faster DX9
card for the games' eyecandy, and yet your CPU will then be even
more of a bottleneck than it already is for DX8 games with the
GF4.

Any given level of video card performance will only get cheaper
over time, don't buy for the future but to play the games you
have RIGHT NOW. When you find a game is too slow, do a simple
test... Turn off eye-candy and lower the resolution. If
framerate is then OK, get the video card first. If framerate is
still too low, other portions of system (CPU, then memory bus
speed and memory amount) will need increased, but still video
card will need it too given the titles you mentioned). Point is,
buy the parts when you need them, buying ahead of time will just
cost more or get lower performance per same $$$.

"Kris" <kvdv@easynet.be> said:

> With Doom 3 coming . . . I'm almost sure that my current system isn't
> going to be sufficient. I currently have an Athlon 1800+ with a
> Geforce Ti 4200 and 512mb RAM.

Don't know about the other games you mentioned, but DOOM3 is built to be
playable on various levels of hardware, so it will be perfectly playable
(according to ID) on your hardware. You are right about needing a new card
for the eye candy.

Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on a 9800 right now. They are still
expensive and will be far from the cutting edge by Christmas. Doom3 is
going to provoke a frenzy of upgrading, but those who upgrade early will
be the unhappiest.

What kind of motherboard do you have?
--
Mac Cool

the_calibrator_

Yeah, you really need to upgrade if you plan on playing any new games. That's some pretty old stuff. You will see amazing improvement from a few easy upgrades.

Actually, it would probably be better to just build a new computer.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Yeah, you really need to upgrade if you plan on playing any new games. That's some pretty old stuff. You will see amazing improvement from a few easy upgrades.

Actually, it would probably be better to just build a new computer.

This thread is three years old... Why did you repsond to it?