first computer i have built, help please

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

ok im new and not great with builting computers, so bare with me
please. first let me tell you what i have:
abit av8 k8t800pro
western digital raptor 74
plextor dvd +-r,rw,cd,+-r,rw
sony cd rom
geforce 6800 gt 256mb
amd athlon 64 3800+
antec 550 power
floppy
windows xp pro but havent even installed software for any thing
dont know if i need to say all that. so any ways i installed it all
and when i turned it on i put win xp pro in and i didnt know i need to
hit f6 to run something to set up my hard drive and then exited out of
the program and now it wont let me run it again. it gets stuck on a
screen that says verifying dmi pool data........
also when i turn of the computer and turn it on it just keeps starting
and restarting and nothing comes up, thats only happens when i turn it
off not when i restart. any help would be great. thanks for baring
with me the newbe

Fitz

First, clear the CMOS (instructions are in your manual) by jumper or
removing the battery. That should allow your computer to boot normally.

You need to hit F6 during the boot sequence to use your SATA. I don't know
if Abit included a floppy with the SATA drivers on it, or included them on
the installation CD. If on the CD, you will have to extract them to a
floppy, and have them ready when the XP install program ask you for them
(after hitting F6). Make sure you select the correct driver package (RAID or
BASE). Since you are only using one harddrive, BASE would be correct. Again,
your manual should have complete instructions. My Gigabyte board came with a
separate RAID manual.

Nice system.
Good luck,
Fitz

> You need to hit F6 during the boot sequence to use your SATA. I don't know
> if Abit included a floppy with the SATA drivers on it, or included them on
> the installation CD.

Well just for the record, my MSI 865PE Neo2 Mainboard and my Maxtor 200Gb
sata will install the WindowsXP normaly, no need to hit F6 key in any time.

NSA wrote:
>> You need to hit F6 during the boot sequence to use your SATA. I
>> don't know if Abit included a floppy with the SATA drivers on it, or
>> included them on the installation CD.
>
> Well just for the record, my MSI 865PE Neo2 Mainboard and my Maxtor
> 200Gb sata will install the WindowsXP normaly, no need to hit F6 key
> in any time.

fine, most don't.

INSTALL THE DEVICE DRIVERS FOR ALL KIT FROM THE MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE - or
failing that, the older ones that come on the driver CDs. not doing this
kind of negates the point of buying a flash graphics card et al...

ric