Program removal oddity

August 4, 2004 2:52:11 PM

I have the excellent music-management program CEPlaylist installed on
my SD Card. As I now have a second card I decided today to swap it to
either ipAQ Storage or main memory. So I went to Add/Remove Programs,
intending to remove it then reinstall. But to my surprise the check
box for CEPlaylist is not checked. IOW, my PPC (and ActiveSync on my
PC) appears to think this is already uninstalled. BTW, the separate
entry CEPlaylistHelp *is* checked.

I'm curious how can that can come about?

And, if I just move CEPlaylist.exe from the SD Card to a new location,
will the redundant registry entries remainining pose any problem?

Finally, I suppose another approach is to use Remover to uninstall?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

More about : program removal oddity

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 2:52:12 PM

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>I have the excellent music-management program CEPlaylist installed on
>my SD Card. As I now have a second card I decided today to swap it to
>either ipAQ Storage or main memory. So I went to Add/Remove Programs,
>intending to remove it then reinstall. But to my surprise the check
>box for CEPlaylist is not checked. IOW, my PPC (and ActiveSync on my
>PC) appears to think this is already uninstalled. BTW, the separate
>entry CEPlaylistHelp *is* checked.
>
>I'm curious how can that can come about?
>
>And, if I just move CEPlaylist.exe from the SD Card to a new location,
>will the redundant registry entries remainining pose any problem?
>
>Finally, I suppose another approach is to use Remover to uninstall?

Use the Remove Programs tool on the Pocket PC. Not sure how ActiveSync
on your desktop got confused. You should uninstall/reinstall to ensure
all registry entries are set properly, not just move the .exe file
around.
August 4, 2004 7:01:28 PM

Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
> Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>> I have the excellent music-management program CEPlaylist installed on
>> my SD Card. As I now have a second card I decided today to swap it to
>> either ipAQ Storage or main memory. So I went to Add/Remove Programs,
>> intending to remove it then reinstall. But to my surprise the check
>> box for CEPlaylist is not checked. IOW, my PPC (and ActiveSync on my
>> PC) appears to think this is already uninstalled. BTW, the separate
>> entry CEPlaylistHelp *is* checked.
>>
>> I'm curious how can that can come about?
>>
>> And, if I just move CEPlaylist.exe from the SD Card to a new
>> location, will the redundant registry entries remainining pose any
>> problem?
>>
>> Finally, I suppose another approach is to use Remover to uninstall?
>
> Use the Remove Programs tool on the Pocket PC. Not sure how ActiveSync
> on your desktop got confused. You should uninstall/reinstall to ensure
> all registry entries are set properly, not just move the .exe file
> around.

That's the one thing i hate about windows. I hate the registry.

Ryan
August 4, 2004 11:10:31 PM

<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>I have the excellent music-management program CEPlaylist installed on
>>my SD Card. As I now have a second card I decided today to swap it to
>>either ipAQ Storage or main memory. So I went to Add/Remove Programs,
>>intending to remove it then reinstall. But to my surprise the check
>>box for CEPlaylist is not checked. IOW, my PPC (and ActiveSync on my
>>PC) appears to think this is already uninstalled. BTW, the separate
>>entry CEPlaylistHelp *is* checked.
>>
>>I'm curious how can that can come about?
>>
>>And, if I just move CEPlaylist.exe from the SD Card to a new location,
>>will the redundant registry entries remainining pose any problem?
>>
>>Finally, I suppose another approach is to use Remover to uninstall?
>
>Use the Remove Programs tool on the Pocket PC. Not sure how ActiveSync
>on your desktop got confused. You should uninstall/reinstall to ensure
>all registry entries are set properly, not just move the .exe file
>around.

Eh? I can't simply "use the Remove Programs tool on the Pocket PC". As
I said, it doesn't list CEPlaylist as installed. (Yet my 3rd party
Remover utility does.)

I've now heard back from the author, who recommends just moving the
EXE.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

"DarkSheer" <rdettl__@__dundee.net> wrote:

>That's the one thing i hate about windows. I hate the registry.

It has its good and bad traits. Better than *.ini files all over the
place.
August 5, 2004 7:09:27 PM

> . Better than *.ini files all over the
>place.

I rather strongly disagree. For my reasons, and several rebuttals, use
google to find any of several lengthy threads on the subject. I don't
think this is an appropriate forum.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R