How do you clean an LCD?

Is there any way to effectively clean an LCD monitor screen? I've tried
just plain water (on a damp soft cloth) and the disposable wipes that are
supposed to be designed for this, but nothing really works well, I get all
these ugly streaks and I still have scars on the screen from who knows what
kind of splashes, maybe spaghetti sauce for all I know.

Thanks all!

Ray

Lunaray wrote:

> Is there any way to effectively clean an LCD monitor screen? I've tried
> just plain water (on a damp soft cloth) and the disposable wipes that are
> supposed to be designed for this, but nothing really works well, I get all
> these ugly streaks and I still have scars on the screen from who knows what
> kind of splashes, maybe spaghetti sauce for all I know.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Ray

I've used Windex/paper towels successfully, but I don't think it's very
good for long-term life of the screen. I eventually switched to a dust
cloth made by 3M specifically for LCDs and 3M "electric equipment
cleaner" spreay foam. It works very well even on my laptop LCD. They
were about $7 each.

Thanks David, I thought about using Windex but after reading the warnings
against it, I had to resort to sitting on my hands to keep from trying it
'cause I really wanted to! I'll give your other suggestions a try. Thanks
again!

jk

I would assume a minimal amount of Windex on a soft cloth would probably be okay
if you clean very gently. Anyone have an objection to using Windex?
I use Windex to clean my CRT. Some people say that if you are not careful
when cleaning a CRT you might damage the antireflective coating. Is the
same true for an LCD monitor?

Lunaray wrote:

> Is there any way to effectively clean an LCD monitor screen? I've tried
> just plain water (on a damp soft cloth) and the disposable wipes that are
> supposed to be designed for this, but nothing really works well, I get all
> these ugly streaks and I still have scars on the screen from who knows what
> kind of splashes, maybe spaghetti sauce for all I know.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Ray

> Thanks David, I thought about using Windex but after reading the warnings
> against it, I had to resort to sitting on my hands to keep from trying it
> 'cause I really wanted to! I'll give your other suggestions a try. Thanks
> again!

Just to share another point - I tried these wipe cloths made by Fellowes
- they were like baby wipes but made for LCDs. Anyway, they left a
horrible streaky residue. Here is the link:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=303660&pfp=BROWSE

Here is the link for what I later bought that worked much better:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=278509&pfp=BROWSE
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299849&pfp=BROWSE

Yeah, my Office Depot wipes are probably about the same as the "Fellowes"
wipes, and you're right, they made a horrible mess on my screen!

Thanks for the links!

"Lunaray" <yarNOT@easystreet.com> writes:
>Yeah, my Office Depot wipes are probably about the same as the "Fellowes"
>wipes, and you're right, they made a horrible mess on my screen!

Related question: I have an lcd with one bad pixel that sits there
bright green all the time, just a little off center of the screen.

Annoying little thing but I'm wondering what would be safe to use
to put a little dot over the top of him and just cut his brightness.
But not anything that might dissolve into the plastic of the panel.

For most of the things I do one dim pixel would be much less annoying
than to have him sitting there all day trying to get my attention.

thanks

http://www.wowworx.com/tips/cleanlcd.htm

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:04:05 -0700, "Lunaray" <yarNOT@easystreet.com>
wrote:

>Is there any way to effectively clean an LCD monitor screen? I've tried
>just plain water (on a damp soft cloth) and the disposable wipes that are
>supposed to be designed for this, but nothing really works well, I get all
>these ugly streaks and I still have scars on the screen from who knows what
>kind of splashes, maybe spaghetti sauce for all I know.
>
>Thanks all!
>
>Ray

Anti-Spam: Change shellyfnospam to shellyf to respond. Thanx, y'all have a nice day!
Retired to Cyberspace from Green Valley, AZ.

JK <JK9821@netscape.net> said:

> I use Windex to clean my CRT.

Ammonia based cleaners shouldn't be used on a CRT, they will remove the
anti-reflective coating. It might be too late now but plain soap and water
will clean it just fine.
--
Mac Cool

jk

Some people make claims to that effect, however I have been doing it
for many years and never had a problem. Perhaps if someone uses
a rough cloth, or uses too much pressure, they might damage the
antireflective coating?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:42:58 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Some people make claims to that effect, however I have been doing it
>for many years and never had a problem. Perhaps if someone uses
>a rough cloth, or uses too much pressure, they might damage the
>antireflective coating?

Yes, rough cloth is bad. It may also help to turn off monitor,
let static dissipate and blow off as much dust as possible, not
rubbing it into the screen.

> Related question: I have an lcd with one bad pixel that sits there
> bright green all the time, just a little off center of the screen.
> Annoying little thing but I'm wondering what would be safe to use
> to put a little dot over the top of him and just cut his brightness.
> But not anything that might dissolve into the plastic of the panel.

They are irritating, but it's not worth doing:
o Sometimes bad pixels can go away - had that on about 7 TFTs
---- from dirt-cheap AOC to super-silly daylight viewable
o Pixels are small, so coverage has a parallax / viewing angle risk
---- removal may prove difficult if you ever choose your mind

TFT makers have different rules on bad-pixels
o Based on colour or light/dark
o Based on position with some weighting against centrally

Blue isn't so bad, but *green* I'd agree is pretty annoying :)

However, bad pixels can go, over years I might add. Never
investigated why, but a Philips engineer confirmed they can too.
That is not acceptable as an excuse re "bad-pixel-policy" tho.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

bb

"Lunaray" <yarNOT@easystreet.com> wrote in message news:<10fu84ocfug5447@corp.supernews.com>...
> Is there any way to effectively clean an LCD monitor screen? I've tried
> just plain water (on a damp soft cloth) and the disposable wipes that are
> supposed to be designed for this, but nothing really works well, I get all
> these ugly streaks and I still have scars on the screen from who knows what
> kind of splashes, maybe spaghetti sauce for all I know.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Ray

I've almosts ruined my laptop LCD screen with some of those special
cleaners made for computer screens. I found at CompUSA a product
called IClean by Monster Cable. I think its the stuff in a larger
product CompUSA sells call Monster Screen Clean.

Its a spray, does not drip and comes with a micro-fiber cloth. It took
out stains that other cleaners left and swirl marks other cleaners
made.

The IClean is aimed at Apple Ibooks and can be found in the Mac
Section, the larger one I've seen at some CompUSAs that sell Plasma
and Projection TVs.

I recommend getting one of those swifter dusters to lift off any dust
on the screen before cleaning it... better safe than sorry.