Ok, need to access an old WinXP account

I have an old hard drive that I thought was dead, Windows XP Pro was
installed on it. I bought an external firewire drive case and checked all
my old hard drives, lo and behold, the drive I thought was dead... isn't.

I cannot access my documents & settings folder on that drive. I deleted
everything but that folder and I want to get my files but it is locked. I
thought of booting Knoppix but I don't think Knoppix works with external
firewire drives. My current Windows XP Home won't allow me to take
ownership either. Ideas?
--
Mac Cool

Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns952E26D0799MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
> I have an old hard drive that I thought was dead, Windows XP Pro was
> installed on it. I bought an external firewire drive case and checked all
> my old hard drives, lo and behold, the drive I thought was dead... isn't.
>
> I cannot access my documents & settings folder on that drive. I deleted
> everything but that folder and I want to get my files but it is locked. I
> thought of booting Knoppix but I don't think Knoppix works with external
> firewire drives. My current Windows XP Home won't allow me to take
> ownership either. Ideas?

I would try Knoppix and see. I will try it on my external Firewire
when I get home and let you know.

groove

Mac Cool said this...

> I cannot access my documents & settings folder on that drive. I deleted
> everything but that folder and I want to get my files but it is locked. I
> thought of booting Knoppix but I don't think Knoppix works with external
> firewire drives. My current Windows XP Home won't allow me to take
> ownership either. Ideas?

I believe in XPhome you have to work from safe mode for this to succeed.

&Product=winxp

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M13321DD8

--
º~ david ~º

theodat@yahoo.com (Theodat) said:

> I would try Knoppix and see. I will try it on my external Firewire
> when I get home and let you know.

thanks, if it works I'll download it and give a go
--
Mac Cool