Components recommedation

I'm planning to purchase a Plextor 12X ( PX-712A/SW) DVD burner. Does any
one have any negative experiences with the above? I heard Plextor makes
excellent burners.

In addition, I would like some suggestions on a "kick-ass" video card
(reasonable price, of course) for 2D (applications), 3D (video games),
capturing video from TV as well as from a camcorder for later burning on
DVD. If there is none to do the above, I would consider purchasing two
cards, one for capturing video and one for day to day usage. Please help me
on this one.

I will be assembling Pentium IV (3.X) system, hopefully, before the end of
the month or at the outset of next month. I haven't decided on a
motherboard yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Rod
3 answers Last reply
More about components recommedation

    Who cares wrote:

    > I'm planning to purchase a Plextor 12X ( PX-712A/SW) DVD burner. Does any
    > one have any negative experiences with the above? I heard Plextor makes
    > excellent burners.

    Plextor makes good products, however they tend to be expensive. LiteOn
    makes good products that are usually much less expensive than Plextor.
    I suggest that you buy a LiteOn DVD burner instead.

    > In addition, I would like some suggestions on a "kick-ass" video card
    > (reasonable price, of course) for 2D (applications), 3D (video games),
    > capturing video from TV as well as from a camcorder for later burning on
    > DVD. If there is none to do the above, I would consider purchasing two
    > cards, one for capturing video and one for day to day usage. Please help me
    > on this one.
    >
    > I will be assembling Pentium IV (3.X) system

    Why a Pentium 4? Why not an Athlon 64 system instead? Even with
    32 bit software, the Athlon 64 has great benefits over a 32 bit processor
    when running with a 64 bit OS. With 64 bit applications, the Athlon 64 is
    really awesome. Windows 64 for X86-64 should be out within a few
    months. If you buy a 32 bit processor, you might really regret it a
    few months from now.

    http://www.amdboard.com/windows_xp_64bit.html

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:01:20 GMT, "Who cares" <hotrod2k@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm planning to purchase a Plextor 12X ( PX-712A/SW) DVD burner. Does any
    >one have any negative experiences with the above? I heard Plextor makes
    >excellent burners.

    Plextor DVDs burners are top notch, i have the PX-712A. They are a bit
    more expensive than other brands but they are great. Especially if you
    want to do karaoke cd+g disks.

    >In addition, I would like some suggestions on a "kick-ass" video card
    >(reasonable price, of course) for 2D (applications), 3D (video games),
    >capturing video from TV as well as from a camcorder for later burning on
    >DVD. If there is none to do the above, I would consider purchasing two
    >cards, one for capturing video and one for day to day usage. Please help me
    >on this one.

    Id be tempted to get a 5900xt or a radeon 9800 pro, as for video
    capture the i have the aver media dvb-t digital freeview pci card and
    input my old camcorder using svideo leads.

    But if you have a digital camcorder and your pc has firewire ports
    then you dont need any additional hardware and even the software is
    free off microsoft. download windows movie maker 2 from windows
    update.

    >I will be assembling Pentium IV (3.X) system, hopefully, before the end of
    >the month or at the outset of next month. I haven't decided on a
    >motherboard yet. Any suggestions?

    Cant help with this as i have no experence with intel mobos.

    >Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
    >
    >Rod

    If you plan to play games, especially Doom 3, you should use an Athlon 64
    rather than a Pentium 4 processor.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=8
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    Who cares wrote:

    > I'm planning to purchase a Plextor 12X ( PX-712A/SW) DVD burner. Does any
    > one have any negative experiences with the above? I heard Plextor makes
    > excellent burners.
    >
    > In addition, I would like some suggestions on a "kick-ass" video card
    > (reasonable price, of course) for 2D (applications), 3D (video games),
    > capturing video from TV as well as from a camcorder for later burning on
    > DVD. If there is none to do the above, I would consider purchasing two
    > cards, one for capturing video and one for day to day usage. Please help me
    > on this one.
    >
    > I will be assembling Pentium IV (3.X) system, hopefully, before the end of
    > the month or at the outset of next month. I haven't decided on a
    > motherboard yet. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
    >
    > Rod

Homebuilt Systems