newbie question on installing MAME monitor

i'm going to add a 25" TV to my cab and hook it up to my PC. this
seems like a silly question, but do i have to bust the electronics of
the TV out of its plastic container in order to install it into the
cab? i noticed the current arcade monitor (broken)in the cab is just
the barebones electronics bolted to the cab. is that
destruction/conversion pretty straightforward using any average TV?

is it any different for an old 20" computer monitor?

thanks.

On 2005-07-04, brevity is wit <brevity@wit.com> wrote:

> i'm going to add a 25" TV to my cab and hook it up to my PC. this
> seems like a silly question, but do i have to bust the electronics
> of the TV out of its plastic container in order to install it into
> the cab?

I've had a variety of monitors in my cab, never needed to remove the
case. On the first two I took the wooden mounting bezel that took the
weight of the arcade monitor and just used straps around the new
monitor case to fix it to the wooden bezel. The current one is a 20
inch rotating LCD bought cheap on ebay that just sits on a shelf.

If you remove the case of the TV, remember that the case will normally
provide the support for the electronics so you'll be left with a bunch
of boards floating freely only connected by wires.

More importantly, the chassis on consumer TVs is often live, with half
the mains supply going through it! If yours is such a TV then make
sure you don't attach any earth straps or you'll wire connected
metalwork up to the mains, which is probably not what you intended.

Basically I'd never recommend using a TV without the case unless you
know exactly what you are doing, they're built so cheaply that they
use the assumption that you'll never open it while it's live as an
excuse to do away with sensible safety design, the live chassis being
the primary example of this.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert

brevity is ... wit wrote:
> i'm going to add a 25" TV to my cab and hook it up to my PC. this
> seems like a silly question, but do i have to bust the electronics of
> the TV out of its plastic container in order to install it into the
> cab? i noticed the current arcade monitor (broken)in the cab is just
> the barebones electronics bolted to the cab. is that
> destruction/conversion pretty straightforward using any average TV?
>
> is it any different for an old 20" computer monitor?
>
> thanks.

They don't put the monitor in a case because it is designed to use the
cab /itself/ as its case. Unless you have width problems, it is *NOT*
recommended to remove the case from your TV/monitor, as it wasn't
designed to be without its case. If you want to make sure that your
TV/Monitor is securely mounted, I would suggest screwing its case to
pieces of plywood from the /inside/, using shims if necessary to make
sure that there isn't any space between the case and the plywood
wherever you put a screw, then put the case back together and screw the
plywood baseplates to your mounting shelf.

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

monkflower@contemperated.int