Locking icons to desktop with windows 7 64 bit Pro

I've asked this question before but haven't read a solution. Seems it a common problem. And yes, the auto arrange on the desktop is unchecked.
4 answers Last reply
More about locking icons desktop windows
  1. What are you trying to do? Not have them move around when you move them? Keep them from being deleted? Have them restore their positions when you reboot?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Create Key "Explorer" if it's not there.

Add new DWORD value "NoSaveSettings" and set to 0

There are also some 3rd party tools to save icon locations.
  2. I like to arrange my Icons on the desktop in the order I want them. Been doing it for ten years. When I go to the desktop it's quick to find what I want. Now since I bought windows 7 64 bit Pro, everytime I reboot or restart or after an update that requires a reboot, windows rearranges the Icons the way they want them. There has to be a way to do this.
  3. Seems there is no provision within Windows 7 64 bit Pro software to correct the problem. Suggestions to tweak the software are not what most users want to hear or even try. It should be a check or uncheck function to do this.
  4. upsetdave said:
    Seems there is no provision within Windows 7 64 bit Pro software to correct the problem. Suggestions to tweak the software are not what most users want to hear or even try. It should be a check or uncheck function to do this.

You can absolutely do this with Win7 64-bit

I just upgraded to a 64-bit platform from Win7 32-bit

Same path: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

Instead of "Add new DWORD value "NoSaveSettings" and set to 0" <-- DWORD is a 32-bit value

Instead, do this:
    "Add new QWORD (64-bit value) as "NoSaveSettings" and set to 0

I tested this shutting down and booting up using 3 monitors in all possible combinations with no icon shifting
    e.g.
    Shut down with 3 monitors, boot up with 1
    Shutdown with 3, boot up with 2
    etc...

Works perfectly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Desktops Icons