What anti virus to use?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2004 8:37:08 PM

I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most of them
but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a resource
hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??

Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need one
that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.

Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web sites I
visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!

Let me know what the best you have found yet.

Thanks for your help guys.

More about : anti virus

July 26, 2004 8:37:09 PM

Here try this,

Works better than anything that I have tried so far! including Norton etc
etc.

http://www.sophos.com/products/small_business/

Spence

"RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
news:p 4u9g091vplqatmajcd3c9rkm6qlopq1od@4ax.com...
> I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most
of them
> but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a
resource
> hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??
>
> Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need
one
> that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
>
> Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web
sites I
> visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!
>
> Let me know what the best you have found yet.
>
> Thanks for your help guys.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2004 8:37:09 PM

"RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
news:p 4u9g091vplqatmajcd3c9rkm6qlopq1od@4ax.com...
> I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most
of them
> but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a
resource
> hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??
>
> Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need
one
> that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
>
> Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web
sites I
> visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!
>
> Let me know what the best you have found yet.
>
> Thanks for your help guys.

Have a look at Norton Corporate, it uses a fraction of the resources of the
home package.

hamman
a b B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2004 8:37:09 PM

"RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
news:p 4u9g091vplqatmajcd3c9rkm6qlopq1od@4ax.com...
> I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most
of them
> but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a
resource
> hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??
>
> Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need
one
> that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
>
> Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web
sites I
> visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!
>
> Let me know what the best you have found yet.
>
> Thanks for your help guys.

How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"? I've been using it for
years on a variety of machines and find that the CPU usage is so low as to
be unmeasurable under normal circumstances and the memory usage certainly
isn't of any great concern in a modern system. I guess that if you had a
200mHz system with 64K of memory and dirt-slow drives it might be noticeable
but not many people run such systems any more.

John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com
July 26, 2004 8:37:09 PM

"RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
news:p 4u9g091vplqatmajcd3c9rkm6qlopq1od@4ax.com...
> I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most
of them
> but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a
resource
> hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??
>
> Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need
one
> that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
>
> Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web
sites I
> visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!
>
> Let me know what the best you have found yet.
>
> Thanks for your help guys.

i've been using AVG from www.grisoft.com for probably two years or so...

it's free and it's very light on resources... coupled with a small amount
of

common sense, you should be OK
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2004 8:37:09 PM

RayOfLight wrote:

> I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most of them
> but cannot settle on any one of them.

Protector Plus.

http://www.pspl.com/
July 26, 2004 8:37:10 PM

AVG anti-virus from grisoft.com, got an excellent write-up in Maximum PC
magazine, been using it for about 6 months and it's great and free
July 26, 2004 11:40:56 PM

RayOfLight <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:
> I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried
> most of them but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but
> it's also a resource hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!!
> How come??
>
> Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I
> need one that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
>
> Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check
> web sites I visit and I got infected a million times despite it being
> on!
>
> Let me know what the best you have found yet.

AVG for an excellent free a/v package.
Kaspersky for the great (not noob friendly though) configuration options,
and IMHO the best protection at a good price.

--
Ian
Anonymous

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:40:56 +0100, "Apollo"
<REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmailDOT.com> put finger to keyboard and
composed:

>RayOfLight <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:
>> I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried
>> most of them but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but
>> it's also a resource hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!!
>> How come??
>>
>> Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I
>> need one that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
>>
>> Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check
>> web sites I visit and I got infected a million times despite it being
>> on!
>>
>> Let me know what the best you have found yet.
>
>AVG for an excellent free a/v package.

AVG doesn't detect viruses in .lzh archives.

>Kaspersky for the great (not noob friendly though) configuration options,
>and IMHO the best protection at a good price.

I have to agree. Kaspersky AV is the only product I have seen that
scores 100% in the benchmarks. It detected two viruses on my PC that
were missed by both PC-cillin and AVG. This begs the question, what
excuse is there for any AV product not to be able to detect all
*known* viruses, especially when it is commanded to scan a specific
infected file?

- Franc Zabkar
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2004 4:44:00 PM

Hi guys thanks for reply. I am currently evaluating AVG 7.0 Pro and so far so
good! Have used the fre version n the past and it was not that good.

>How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"?

Well ocmparing it to other AV software i used Nortn takes time to scan any stuff
before opening. for example NOD32 scan all software when opened 10 times faster
and i have to check the settinf to see if it really scans the docs! - being too
fast.

Thanks again guys.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2004 4:44:01 PM

> Hi guys thanks for reply. I am currently evaluating AVG 7.0 Pro and so far
so
> good! Have used the fre version n the past and it was not that good.
>
> >How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"?
>
> Well ocmparing it to other AV software i used Nortn takes time to scan any
stuff
> before opening. for example NOD32 scan all software when opened 10 times
faster
> and i have to check the settinf to see if it really scans the docs! -
being too
> fast.
>
> Thanks again guys.

And exactly what does "10 times faster" have to do with "resource hog"? The
first is a subjective measure of execution speed while the latter refers to
system resources (cpu cycles and memory) being used. I won't even ask how
you measured the speed difference.

Find something that works for you. And make sure that the definitions it
uses are updated on a regular and frequent basis because if your definitions
are out of date by even a couple of days you might as well not be scanning
at all.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

"John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote...

>>>How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"?
>
> And exactly what does "10 times faster" have to do with "resource hog"? The
> first is a subjective measure of execution speed while the latter refers to
> system resources (cpu cycles and memory) being used. I won't even ask how
> you measured the speed difference.

I also term NAV as a "resource hog." When I first installed Norton Systemworks
2002 on my machine a couple years ago, I noticed a significant slowdown of all
other tasks. I timed a few of them. I disabled the resident portions of NAV,
and the time for those tasks was cut in half. I then disabled the remaining
resident functions of Systemworks, but the added speed was much less
significant.

I then installed F-Prot for Windows (www.f-prot.com), and noticed no slowdown.

An application's or process' RAM use can be easily viewed in the Task Manager.
CPU usage can also be viewed, but not quite as readily.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2004 2:27:14 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:04:09 -0700, "John Weiss"
<jrweiss@attNOSPAMglobal.net> wrote:

>I also term NAV as a "resource hog." When I first installed Norton Systemworks

It does have a pretty big memory footprint, but that's not the worst thing
about it. Do a registry search on "Norton", "NAV" "Symantec", etc, and you
will find HUNDREDS of keys and values. My registry is already bloated enough
without such an absolute registry hog.

I find that Nod32 is the lightest AV program that works reliably. I would
like to see a web page that has a virus that Nod32 does not detect. I have
never been infected by any means since installing Nod32 ~2 years ago.

Bob
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 31, 2004 12:18:35 AM

"John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote in message
> "RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
> > Hi guys thanks for reply. I am currently evaluating AVG 7.0 Pro and so
far
> so
> > good! Have used the fre version n the past and it was not that good.
> >
> > >How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"?
> >
> > Well ocmparing it to other AV software i used Nortn takes time to scan
any
> stuff
> > before opening. for example NOD32 scan all software when opened 10 times
> faster
> > and i have to check the settinf to see if it really scans the docs! -
> being too
> > fast.
> >
> > Thanks again guys.
>
> And exactly what does "10 times faster" have to do with "resource hog"?
The
> first is a subjective measure of execution speed while the latter refers
> system resources (cpu cycles and memory) being used. I won't even ask how
> you measured the speed difference.

Simple. If a piece of software takes 10 times longer to accomplish a task
than another package does then it "hogs" resources 10x longer. ANY task uses
resources. The longer the task takes, the more those resources are used.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 31, 2004 11:39:10 AM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:18:35 -0400, "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote:

>resources. The longer the task takes, the more those resources are used.

Or mis-used. :)

Bob
!