What anti virus to use?

I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most of them
but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a resource
hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??

Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need one
that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.

Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web sites I
visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!

Let me know what the best you have found yet.

Thanks for your help guys.
14 answers Last reply
More about what anti virus

    Here try this,

    Works better than anything that I have tried so far! including Norton etc
    etc.

    http://www.sophos.com/products/small_business/

    Spence

    "RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most
    of them
    > but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a
    resource
    > hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??
    >
    > Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need
    one
    > that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
    >
    > Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web
    sites I
    > visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!
    >
    > Let me know what the best you have found yet.
    >
    > Thanks for your help guys.

    "RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most
    of them
    > but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a
    resource
    > hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??
    >
    > Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need
    one
    > that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
    >
    > Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web
    sites I
    > visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!
    >
    > Let me know what the best you have found yet.
    >
    > Thanks for your help guys.

    Have a look at Norton Corporate, it uses a fraction of the resources of the
    home package.

    hamman

    "RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most
    of them
    > but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a
    resource
    > hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??
    >
    > Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need
    one
    > that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
    >
    > Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web
    sites I
    > visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!
    >
    > Let me know what the best you have found yet.
    >
    > Thanks for your help guys.

    How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"? I've been using it for
    years on a variety of machines and find that the CPU usage is so low as to
    be unmeasurable under normal circumstances and the memory usage certainly
    isn't of any great concern in a modern system. I guess that if you had a
    200mHz system with 64K of memory and dirt-slow drives it might be noticeable
    but not many people run such systems any more.

    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]
    http://johnmcgaw.com

    "RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most
    of them
    > but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but it's also a
    resource
    > hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!! How come??
    >
    > Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I need
    one
    > that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
    >
    > Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check web
    sites I
    > visit and I got infected a million times despite it being on!
    >
    > Let me know what the best you have found yet.
    >
    > Thanks for your help guys.

    i've been using AVG from www.grisoft.com for probably two years or so...

    it's free and it's very light on resources... coupled with a small amount
    of

    common sense, you should be OK

    RayOfLight wrote:

    > I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried most of them
    > but cannot settle on any one of them.

    Protector Plus.

    http://www.pspl.com/

    AVG anti-virus from grisoft.com, got an excellent write-up in Maximum PC
    magazine, been using it for about 6 months and it's great and free

    RayOfLight <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:
    > I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried
    > most of them but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but
    > it's also a resource hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!!
    > How come??
    >
    > Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I
    > need one that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
    >
    > Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check
    > web sites I visit and I got infected a million times despite it being
    > on!
    >
    > Let me know what the best you have found yet.

    AVG for an excellent free a/v package.
    Kaspersky for the great (not noob friendly though) configuration options,
    and IMHO the best protection at a good price.

    --
    Ian

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:40:56 +0100, "Apollo"
    <REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmailDOT.com> put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >RayOfLight <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:
    >> I am looking for a very efficient anti virus software! I have tried
    >> most of them but cannot settle on any one of them. Norton is good but
    >> it's also a resource hog - but it's it runs on 100m PCs worldwide!!!
    >> How come??
    >>
    >> Mcafee is nice too but an ugly interface and it's not easy to use. I
    >> need one that will check pop3 emails and also web sites I visit.
    >>
    >> Nod32 is very efficient to watch pop3 emails but a big lazy to check
    >> web sites I visit and I got infected a million times despite it being
    >> on!
    >>
    >> Let me know what the best you have found yet.
    >
    >AVG for an excellent free a/v package.

    AVG doesn't detect viruses in .lzh archives.

    >Kaspersky for the great (not noob friendly though) configuration options,
    >and IMHO the best protection at a good price.

    I have to agree. Kaspersky AV is the only product I have seen that
    scores 100% in the benchmarks. It detected two viruses on my PC that
    were missed by both PC-cillin and AVG. This begs the question, what
    excuse is there for any AV product not to be able to detect all
    *known* viruses, especially when it is commanded to scan a specific
    infected file?

    - Franc Zabkar
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Hi guys thanks for reply. I am currently evaluating AVG 7.0 Pro and so far so
    good! Have used the fre version n the past and it was not that good.

    >How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"?

    Well ocmparing it to other AV software i used Nortn takes time to scan any stuff
    before opening. for example NOD32 scan all software when opened 10 times faster
    and i have to check the settinf to see if it really scans the docs! - being too
    fast.

    Thanks again guys.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > Hi guys thanks for reply. I am currently evaluating AVG 7.0 Pro and so far
    so
    > good! Have used the fre version n the past and it was not that good.
    >
    > >How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"?
    >
    > Well ocmparing it to other AV software i used Nortn takes time to scan any
    stuff
    > before opening. for example NOD32 scan all software when opened 10 times
    faster
    > and i have to check the settinf to see if it really scans the docs! -
    being too
    > fast.
    >
    > Thanks again guys.

    And exactly what does "10 times faster" have to do with "resource hog"? The
    first is a subjective measure of execution speed while the latter refers to
    system resources (cpu cycles and memory) being used. I won't even ask how
    you measured the speed difference.

    Find something that works for you. And make sure that the definitions it
    uses are updated on a regular and frequent basis because if your definitions
    are out of date by even a couple of days you might as well not be scanning
    at all.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote...

    >>>How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"?
    >
    > And exactly what does "10 times faster" have to do with "resource hog"? The
    > first is a subjective measure of execution speed while the latter refers to
    > system resources (cpu cycles and memory) being used. I won't even ask how
    > you measured the speed difference.

    I also term NAV as a "resource hog." When I first installed Norton Systemworks
    2002 on my machine a couple years ago, I noticed a significant slowdown of all
    other tasks. I timed a few of them. I disabled the resident portions of NAV,
    and the time for those tasks was cut in half. I then disabled the remaining
    resident functions of Systemworks, but the added speed was much less
    significant.

    I then installed F-Prot for Windows (www.f-prot.com), and noticed no slowdown.

    An application's or process' RAM use can be easily viewed in the Task Manager.
    CPU usage can also be viewed, but not quite as readily.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:04:09 -0700, "John Weiss"
    <jrweiss@attNOSPAMglobal.net> wrote:

    >I also term NAV as a "resource hog." When I first installed Norton Systemworks

    It does have a pretty big memory footprint, but that's not the worst thing
    about it. Do a registry search on "Norton", "NAV" "Symantec", etc, and you
    will find HUNDREDS of keys and values. My registry is already bloated enough
    without such an absolute registry hog.

    I find that Nod32 is the lightest AV program that works reliably. I would
    like to see a web page that has a virus that Nod32 does not detect. I have
    never been infected by any means since installing Nod32 ~2 years ago.

    Bob
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote in message
    > "RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
    > > Hi guys thanks for reply. I am currently evaluating AVG 7.0 Pro and so
    far
    > so
    > > good! Have used the fre version n the past and it was not that good.
    > >
    > > >How have you determined that NAV is "a resource hog"?
    > >
    > > Well ocmparing it to other AV software i used Nortn takes time to scan
    any
    > stuff
    > > before opening. for example NOD32 scan all software when opened 10 times
    > faster
    > > and i have to check the settinf to see if it really scans the docs! -
    > being too
    > > fast.
    > >
    > > Thanks again guys.
    >
    > And exactly what does "10 times faster" have to do with "resource hog"?
    The
    > first is a subjective measure of execution speed while the latter refers
    > system resources (cpu cycles and memory) being used. I won't even ask how
    > you measured the speed difference.

    Simple. If a piece of software takes 10 times longer to accomplish a task
    than another package does then it "hogs" resources 10x longer. ANY task uses
    resources. The longer the task takes, the more those resources are used.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:18:35 -0400, "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote:

    >resources. The longer the task takes, the more those resources are used.

    Or mis-used. :)

    Bob

Homebuilt Antivirus Systems