Graphics card won't sit snugly!

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I've been building a system, but the graphics card (Geforce fx5900) won't
sit snugly in the agp slot because the metal strip (where the monitor plugs
in) is too long and hits the bottom of the ATX case causing the card to
barely make full contact with the agp slot and it's been giving me numerous
Windows crashes and nightmares when trying to start the computer (the system
starts to power up, nothing appears on the monitor and then the system
powers down for no reason) and it can take an hour of constant trying for
the system to power up correctly.

The Epox motherboard is correctly sitting in the case screwed down at the
correct height for everything else to be visible through the case and all
the other cards etc... sit perfectly.

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to correct it?

Cheers.

John

"John" wrote:
> I've been building a system, but the graphics card (Geforce fx5900) won't
> sit snugly in the agp slot because the metal strip (where the monitor plugs
> in) is too long and hits the bottom of the ATX case causing the card to
> barely make full contact with the agp slot and it's been giving me numerous
> Windows crashes and nightmares when trying to start the computer (the system
> starts to power up, nothing appears on the monitor and then the system
> powers down for no reason) and it can take an hour of constant trying for
> the system to power up correctly.
>
> The Epox motherboard is correctly sitting in the case screwed down at the
> correct height for everything else to be visible through the case and all
> the other cards etc... sit perfectly.
>
> Has anyone else had this issue or know how to correct it?

Unscrew the metal endpiece from the card and grind it down a smidge.

Jon

"John" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote in message
> I've been building a system, but the graphics card (Geforce fx5900) won't
> sit snugly in the agp slot because the metal strip (where the monitor
plugs
> in) is too long and hits the bottom of the ATX case causing the card to
> barely make full contact with the agp slot and it's been giving me
numerous
> Windows crashes and nightmares when trying to start the computer (the
system
> starts to power up, nothing appears on the monitor and then the system
> powers down for no reason) and it can take an hour of constant trying for
> the system to power up correctly.

No slot in the bottom of the case for the end of the card plate to slip
into?

....and anyone who powers on a PC with a half inserted card deserves what
they get.

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "John" wrote:
> > I've been building a system, but the graphics card (Geforce fx5900)
won't
> > sit snugly in the agp slot because the metal strip (where the monitor
plugs
> > in) is too long and hits the bottom of the ATX case causing the card to
> > barely make full contact with the agp slot and it's been giving me
numerous
> > Windows crashes and nightmares when trying to start the computer (the
system
> > starts to power up, nothing appears on the monitor and then the system
> > powers down for no reason) and it can take an hour of constant trying
for
> > the system to power up correctly.
> >
> > The Epox motherboard is correctly sitting in the case screwed down at
the
> > correct height for everything else to be visible through the case and
all
> > the other cards etc... sit perfectly.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this issue or know how to correct it?
>
> Unscrew the metal endpiece from the card and grind it down a smidge.
>
> Jon

Wouldn't it affect the resistance, voltage or whatever of the card by
tampering with the length of this metal bit?

John wrote:

> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>"John" wrote:
>>
>>>I've been building a system, but the graphics card (Geforce fx5900)
>
> won't
>
>>>sit snugly in the agp slot because the metal strip (where the monitor
>
> plugs
>
>>>in) is too long and hits the bottom of the ATX case causing the card to
>>>barely make full contact with the agp slot and it's been giving me
>
> numerous
>
>>>Windows crashes and nightmares when trying to start the computer (the
>
> system
>
>>>starts to power up, nothing appears on the monitor and then the system
>>>powers down for no reason) and it can take an hour of constant trying
>
> for
>
>>>the system to power up correctly.
>>>
>>>The Epox motherboard is correctly sitting in the case screwed down at
>
> the
>
>>>correct height for everything else to be visible through the case and
>
> all
>
>>>the other cards etc... sit perfectly.
>>>
>>>Has anyone else had this issue or know how to correct it?
>>
>>Unscrew the metal endpiece from the card and grind it down a smidge.
>>
>>Jon
>

> Wouldn't it affect the resistance, voltage or whatever of the card by
> tampering with the length of this metal bit?

No. It's nothing but a mounting plate.

But it sounds to me like you're not getting it in the right location as
there should be a 'slot' in the case bottom for the end of it to go into
(which holds it from being pushed backwards into the case when you plug the
monitor cable in, etc)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

The plate is only a mount for the socket, serves no
active electrical function. Shorten it.

"David Maynard" wrote:
> John wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't it affect the resistance, voltage or whatever of the card by
> > tampering with the length of this metal bit?
>
> No. It's nothing but a mounting plate.
>
> But it sounds to me like you're not getting it in the right location as
> there should be a 'slot' in the case bottom for the end of it to go into
> (which holds it from being pushed backwards into the case when you plug the
> monitor cable in, etc)

Most cases I see nowadays don't have a clip anymore, as they pretty much just use the clearance between
the mainboard and the case to keep it from becoming bent inwards excessively. Depending on the
mainboard's mounting board, sometimes it is necessary to modify the plate (and all kinds of other things
when the specs are just a teensy bit out of whack).

It could very well be a clip issue; I just don't see them much anymore.

Jon

Jon Danniken wrote:

> "David Maynard" wrote:
>
>>John wrote:
>>

>>>Wouldn't it affect the resistance, voltage or whatever of the card by
>>>tampering with the length of this metal bit?
>>
>>No. It's nothing but a mounting plate.
>>
>>But it sounds to me like you're not getting it in the right location as
>>there should be a 'slot' in the case bottom for the end of it to go into
>>(which holds it from being pushed backwards into the case when you plug the
>>monitor cable in, etc)
>

> Most cases I see nowadays don't have a clip anymore, as they pretty much just use the clearance between
> the mainboard and the case to keep it from becoming bent inwards excessively. Depending on the
> mainboard's mounting board, sometimes it is necessary to modify the plate (and all kinds of other things
> when the specs are just a teensy bit out of whack).
>
> It could very well be a clip issue; I just don't see them much anymore.

Yes, I have plenty of cases that have no 'clips' too, however I said
"slot," not clip, but, regardless, I've never seen one where the mounting
plates bottomed out so that the card didn't fit in the slot.

"David Maynard" wrote:
> Jon Danniken wrote:

> >>No. It's nothing but a mounting plate.
> >>
> >>But it sounds to me like you're not getting it in the right location as
> >>there should be a 'slot' in the case bottom for the end of it to go into
> >>(which holds it from being pushed backwards into the case when you plug the
> >>monitor cable in, etc)
> >

> > Most cases I see nowadays don't have a clip anymore, as they pretty much just use the clearance
between
> > the mainboard and the case to keep it from becoming bent inwards excessively. Depending on the
> > mainboard's mounting board, sometimes it is necessary to modify the plate (and all kinds of other
things
> > when the specs are just a teensy bit out of whack).
> >
> > It could very well be a clip issue; I just don't see them much anymore.
>
> Yes, I have plenty of cases that have no 'clips' too, however I said
> "slot," not clip, but, regardless, I've never seen one where the mounting
> plates bottomed out so that the card didn't fit in the slot.

My mistake there; what I called "clip" is most certainly best described as a "slot". My apologies for the
lack of precision in my choice of words.

Jon

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:24:12 -0500, David Maynard
<dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

>> Wouldn't it affect the resistance, voltage or whatever of the card by
>> tampering with the length of this metal bit?
>
>No. It's nothing but a mounting plate.
>
>But it sounds to me like you're not getting it in the right location as
>there should be a 'slot' in the case bottom for the end of it to go into
>(which holds it from being pushed backwards into the case when you plug the
>monitor cable in, etc)

Exactly... most often the problem is that the end of the metal
bracket isn't straight (or the slot in the motherboard mounting
plate isn't staight) so removal of the card and slightly bending
that last 1cm of the metal bracket should suffice. By taking the
other side of case cover off it may be easier to see which way to
bend and/or guide it into that slot.

Jon Danniken wrote:

> "David Maynard" wrote:
>
>>Jon Danniken wrote:

>>>Most cases I see nowadays don't have a clip anymore, as they pretty much just use the clearance
>
> between
>
>>>the mainboard and the case to keep it from becoming bent inwards excessively. Depending on the
>>>mainboard's mounting board, sometimes it is necessary to modify the plate (and all kinds of other
>
> things
>
>>>when the specs are just a teensy bit out of whack).
>>>
>>>It could very well be a clip issue; I just don't see them much anymore.
>>
>>Yes, I have plenty of cases that have no 'clips' too, however I said
>>"slot," not clip, but, regardless, I've never seen one where the mounting
>>plates bottomed out so that the card didn't fit in the slot.
>

> My mistake there; what I called "clip" is most certainly best described as a "slot". My apologies for the
> lack of precision in my choice of words.
>
> Jon

No sweat.

~misfit~ wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>>Jon Danniken wrote:

>>>Most cases I see nowadays don't have a clip anymore, as they pretty
>>>much just use the clearance between the mainboard and the case to
>>>keep it from becoming bent inwards excessively. Depending on the
>>>mainboard's mounting board, sometimes it is necessary to modify the
>>>plate (and all kinds of other things when the specs are just a
>>>teensy bit out of whack).
>>>
>>>It could very well be a clip issue; I just don't see them much
>>>anymore.
>>
>>Yes, I have plenty of cases that have no 'clips' too, however I said
>>"slot," not clip, but, regardless, I've never seen one where the
>>mounting plates bottomed out so that the card didn't fit in the slot.
>

> I've seen them where the 'slot' is too narrow to get the tongue of the card
> backplate in properly. I have one like that where a 3Com PCI NIC is sitting
> up slightly in the PCI slot on the end. Still seems to work Ok though.
> --
> ~misfit~

You sure it's the 'slot'? Biggest problem I've seen like that is either the
motherboard sitting a little too high or the dern bracket cut/bent short,
or whatever the heck is wrong with it, and not letting the card go down all
the way. But it was obvious that the 'hang-up' wasn't the bottom because it
bends the bracket top on the case mounting edge when you push the card down.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:49:50 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
<jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"David Maynard" wrote:
>> Jon Danniken wrote:

>> > Most cases I see nowadays don't have a clip anymore, as they pretty much just use the clearance
>between
>> > the mainboard and the case to keep it from becoming bent inwards excessively. Depending on the
>> > mainboard's mounting board, sometimes it is necessary to modify the plate (and all kinds of other
>things
>> > when the specs are just a teensy bit out of whack).
>> >
>> > It could very well be a clip issue; I just don't see them much anymore.
>>
>> Yes, I have plenty of cases that have no 'clips' too, however I said
>> "slot," not clip, but, regardless, I've never seen one where the mounting
>> plates bottomed out so that the card didn't fit in the slot.
>
>My mistake there; what I called "clip" is most certainly best described as a "slot". My apologies for the
>lack of precision in my choice of words.
>
>Jon

Doesn't the card have nuts and bolts holding on the metal clip?
If so you loosen them up a bit and seat the card into the pci slot
while working the metal tab around to fit into the slot on the case.
Once it's firmly in and all is squared up you tighten the nuts/bolts
up and it should fit perfectly.(Removing all the cards on either side
in the pci bus will alllow you the room to do this.)

~misfit~ wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>>~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>>I've seen them where the 'slot' is too narrow to get the tongue of
>>>the card backplate in properly. I have one like that where a 3Com
>>>PCI NIC is sitting up slightly in the PCI slot on the end. Still
>>>seems to work Ok though. --
>>>~misfit~
>>>

>>You sure it's the 'slot'? Biggest problem I've seen like that is
>>either the motherboard sitting a little too high or the dern bracket
>>cut/bent short, or whatever the heck is wrong with it, and not
>>letting the card go down all the way. But it was obvious that the
>>'hang-up' wasn't the bottom because it bends the bracket top on the
>>case mounting edge when you push the card down.
>

> Yeah, it's the 'slot' that the end of the metal plate goes into. It's an old
> case. I have other cards that seat fine in it, it's just that the tongue on
> the end of the NIC is about 2mm wider than on the other cards. I have the
> retaining screw tightened (hoping it would force it in) and it has bowed the
> metal part a bit.
>
> I guess I could do a bit of a mod, cut the 'slot' (it's just a bit of the
> back of the case, a couple of mm wide, that has two cuts a few mm apart and
> the bit between the cuts pressed inwards to make a 'slot'. Hard to
> describe). or cut the tongue. However, it works as-is.
> --
> ~misfit~

I guess they screwed up their bracket stamping form.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:37:43 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote:

>David Maynard wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Yeah, it's the 'slot' that the end of the metal plate goes into.
>>> It's an old case. I have other cards that seat fine in it, it's just
>>> that the tongue on the end of the NIC is about 2mm wider than on the
>>> other cards. I have the retaining screw tightened (hoping it would
>>> force it in) and it has bowed the metal part a bit.
>>>
>>> I guess I could do a bit of a mod, cut the 'slot' (it's just a bit
>>> of the back of the case, a couple of mm wide, that has two cuts a
>>> few mm apart and the bit between the cuts pressed inwards to make a
>>> 'slot'. Hard to describe). or cut the tongue. However, it works
>>> as-is. --
>>> ~misfit~
>>>

>> I guess they screwed up their bracket stamping form.
>
>Yep. Sounds suspiciously like it.

Don't mod your case slot. Just cut/grind down the metal slot ont he
pci card.
Use a dremel with a small grind wheel or similar.

~misfit~ wrote:
> gothika wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:37:43 +1200, "~misfit~"
>><misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote:

>>>Yep. Sounds suspiciously like it.
>>
>>Don't mod your case slot. Just cut/grind down the metal slot ont he
>>pci card.
>

> Good advice thanks.
>

>>Use a dremel with a small grind wheel or similar.
>

> Damn! Does everyone but me have a Dremel? They're so expensive....

Yes. We were thinking of getting you one for christmas, but I guess
that's shot now.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:57:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote:

>gothika wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:37:43 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Yep. Sounds suspiciously like it.
>>
>> Don't mod your case slot. Just cut/grind down the metal slot ont he
>> pci card.
>
>Good advice thanks.
>
>> Use a dremel with a small grind wheel or similar.
>
>Damn! Does everyone but me have a Dremel? They're so expensive....

Most expensive part is the attachments... Bought one many years
ago, saw how each attachment lasted about 3 minutes till it'd
worn down, now only use it rarely if ever. I guess I"m just too
hard on mine. They do make better attachements but at higher
prices, diamond-embedded and such. Tin-Snips would make quick
work of the card bracket though, and a lot less messy than a
dremel even if finished cut isn't "perfect", who cares?.

~misfit~ wrote:

> gothika wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:37:43 +1200, "~misfit~"
>><misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote:

>>>Yep. Sounds suspiciously like it.
>>
>>Don't mod your case slot. Just cut/grind down the metal slot ont he
>>pci card.
>

> Good advice thanks.
>

>>Use a dremel with a small grind wheel or similar.
>

> Damn! Does everyone but me have a Dremel? They're so expensive....
> --
> ~misfit~

Hehe. I used to wonder too, till I got one <g>.

Best dern little tool there is, but you don't have to get a 'Dremel'.
That's just one of the top notch brand names. Look for "rotary tool."

Dern things turn into a 'hobby' all their own, what with all the
attachments you can get for them.

~misfit~ wrote:

> kony wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:57:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
>><misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>Damn! Does everyone but me have a Dremel? They're so expensive....
>>
>>Most expensive part is the attachments... Bought one many years
>>ago, saw how each attachment lasted about 3 minutes till it'd
>>worn down, now only use it rarely if ever. I guess I"m just too
>>hard on mine. They do make better attachements but at higher
>>prices, diamond-embedded and such. Tin-Snips would make quick
>>work of the card bracket though, and a lot less messy than a
>>dremel even if finished cut isn't "perfect", who cares?.
>

> Ya. There are some jobs a Dremel is just perfect for though.
> --
> ~misfit~

Well, he's talking about the cutting discs. Shoot, you buy a tube of those.

I'll love to see him try a tin snipper on the AT case I modded into an ATX.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:42:31 -0500, David Maynard
<dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

>Well, he's talking about the cutting discs. Shoot, you buy a tube of those.
>
>I'll love to see him try a tin snipper on the AT case I modded into an ATX.

Yeah, a tool for each job... electric nibblers would probably be
best for that.

kony wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:42:31 -0500, David Maynard
> <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:
>

>>Well, he's talking about the cutting discs. Shoot, you buy a tube of those.
>>
>>I'll love to see him try a tin snipper on the AT case I modded into an ATX.
>

> Yeah, a tool for each job...

True

> electric nibblers would probably be
> best for that.

The advantage to the rotary tool is it's flexibility. It may not be 'the
best', depending on how one defines that, tool for 'every' job but it's
capable of most.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"~misfit~" ..
> gothika wrote:
> > Use a dremel with a small grind wheel or similar.
> Damn! Does everyone but me have a Dremel? They're so expensive....

I use a bench grinder, myself. You can pick a cheapy up for thirty bucks (or less if you spot one at a
garage sale). Keeps your mower blade sharpened every season, polishes up rusty things if you get a wire
wheel for it. It's right up there with a drill press for essential tools for the home hobbyist..

Jon

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Just to let people know that the suggestions put forward in this (my) thread
worked like a dream and I have now solved my problem of the graphics card
not sitting snugly in the agp slot.

I didn't realise that these were tiny slots in the case that the bottom of
the card fits into, and this solved all of my problems.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

John

wrote:

>~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> kony wrote:

>>>Most expensive part is the attachments... Bought one many years
>>>ago, saw how each attachment lasted about 3 minutes till it'd
>>>worn down, now only use it rarely if ever. I guess I"m just too
>>>hard on mine. They do make better attachements but at higher
>>>prices, diamond-embedded and such. Tin-Snips would make quick
>>>work of the card bracket though, and a lot less messy than a
>>>dremel even if finished cut isn't "perfect", who cares?.
>>

>> Ya. There are some jobs a Dremel is just perfect for though.
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>>

>Well, he's talking about the cutting discs. Shoot, you buy a tube of those.
>
>I'll love to see him try a tin snipper on the AT case I modded into an ATX.

You don't have to buy Dremel. Black and decker makes a roto-tool that
works just as well. Cost around 19.95 at Wal-mart.
You can also get low cost rotary tools at Harbor Freight Tools.
They have stores as well as being online.(My roto tool kit came from
Harbor Freight and cost 9.95 on sale. 16,250rpm with 60 accessories.
Item # 41695. Not the best but it does OK.)
I also have a small 1/4 inch drill that runs at 12,000rpms that I use
for the heavy detail work.
If you eat up cutting wheels alot switch to diamond wheels.
I get a pack of diamond wheels at Harbor Freight for around 9 bucks
and they are tough.
If you want to cut on the CASE use a hack saw with a fine tooth
blade(32T) or a Jig saw with a fine blade.
Of course a small saws-all would be perfect.
If you're going to try and use a tin snip it better be a compound
model with tool steel jaws.

gothika wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:42:31 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>~misfit~ wrote:

>>>Ya. There are some jobs a Dremel is just perfect for though.
>>>--
>>>~misfit~
>>>

>>Well, he's talking about the cutting discs. Shoot, you buy a tube of those.
>>
>>I'll love to see him try a tin snipper on the AT case I modded into an ATX.
>

> You don't have to buy Dremel. Black and decker makes a roto-tool that
> works just as well. Cost around 19.95 at Wal-mart.
> You can also get low cost rotary tools at Harbor Freight Tools.
> They have stores as well as being online.(My roto tool kit came from
> Harbor Freight and cost 9.95 on sale. 16,250rpm with 60 accessories.
> Item # 41695. Not the best but it does OK.)

Yes. Thank you. That's what I told misfit: to look for "rotary tool."