MSI KT8 Master2-FAR mobo, Via 8237 SATA controller, and VI..

System Spec's
MSI K8T Master2-far mobo with dual Opteron 242 CPU's (same steppings)
1.2 BIOS
1024 megs pc2700 Registered ECC Infineon Memory
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro
Thermaltake 480watt power supply
2 WD SATA 80gig, 8meg cache hard drives in RAID0 (Boot drive)
1 WD 80gig IDE (Primary master)
1 Liteon 48x CDRW/DVD Combo drive (Secondary Master)
1 TDK 440n DVD+/- RW driver (Secondary slave)
Soundblaster Audigy II ZS Sound Card.
Windows XP Pro SP1a

Here is the problem i keep having. My pc will give BSOD's when their
are cd's in each drive. Its the same error over and over and appears
centered on 'viamraid.sys'

Both drives have been tested with no errors, Memtest ran over 3 hours
with no errors on memory. I have tried the latest VIA drivers,
including beta ones for both the chipset and raid controller and the
problem still continues. Tried it with and without the raid utility
too.

The only fix i have found for this is to purchase a pci Silicon Image
based 3112a controller, BUT it is slower than the onboard VIA. It is
very stable, but i would like the VIA for performance and the Silicon
image for any additional SATA drives i might purchase.

Any one seen this or have any clues? I am not getting data corruption
that i have seen so many have, just the annoying BSOD

TIA

Fitz

Have you tried switching the IDE cables on the CD/DVD's? Are they both set
on "cable select"? If so, try selecting master and secondary manually on the
optical drives.

Fitz

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:11:23 -0800, "Fitz" <akfitz@mtaonline.net>
wrote:

>Have you tried switching the IDE cables on the CD/DVD's? Are they both set
>on "cable select"? If so, try selecting master and secondary manually on the
>optical drives.
>
>Fitz

I have changed ide cables on them. They are also hard set via jumper
as master/slave. The problem only occurs when there are cd's in both
drives. If i go to access the DVDR then the crash occurs every time.
With a cd in it by itself, it works fine