Sign in with
Your question

Reinstalling Windows

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 23, 2011 3:05:24 PM

Hello everyone. My a couple of months ago my friend gave me a copy of windows that we thought was 3 uses, turns out it wasn't so I have decided on purchasing Windows 7 OEM and installing it on my computer. I know that a reinstall erases all data so I backed up all my data. My point though is that, when i reinstall windows will it erase all previous data so i can use all of the available space on my hard drive (320gb)? Or will the old data just sit there and take up space on the drive. Thank you

More about : reinstalling windows

a c 354 $ Windows 7
February 23, 2011 3:37:58 PM

If you format the drive before intalling it (can do that when you get to the partition selection part of setup), your drive will be clean. If you choose to install without formatting, all of your old data will be on the drive.
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2011 12:03:08 AM

w7pro said:
Hang-the-9 is on point. There's also a page on the MS site which you may find helpful: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-...

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

so basically if choose format when i install everything will be wiped from the drive and i will be able to use the whole 320gb. And if I dont format my files will stay. I think i will just format and just put my files back on since they are backed up. Would you agree with this descision?
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
February 24, 2011 1:22:53 PM

bluerambo said:
so basically if choose format when i install everything will be wiped from the drive and i will be able to use the whole 320gb. And if I dont format my files will stay. I think i will just format and just put my files back on since they are backed up. Would you agree with this descision?

That will work. What I like to do is when I need to re-install Windows, I get a new hard drive. That way if I forget to save something or need a program that I can't find a setup code for, the original drive is available.
m
l
February 24, 2011 2:51:18 PM

hang-the-9 said:
That will work. What I like to do is when I need to re-install Windows, I get a new hard drive. That way if I forget to save something or need a program that I can't find a setup code for, the original drive is available.

Thats a good idea Thanks
m
l
!