A $350 Athlon64 3500+ beats a $1,000 P4 3.4 EE in Doom 3!

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2004 11:32:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in news:41112C52.756FDFFF@netscape.net:

> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

Big time. Also notice the Sempron vs Celeron D.

Sempron 3100 = $125 - $140
Celeron D 2.8 ghz = $125 - $140

Same price, extra 53% performance. I'm happy to see my $80 Athlon XP hangs
with $200 P4s.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Yeah, I used to be an Intel biggot, but I haven't been too impressed
lately. My next machine may run a 3500+.

JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<41112C52.756FDFFF@netscape.net>...
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2004 3:15:36 AM

"DeMoN LaG" <demonlag@snip.net> wrote in message
> JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in news:41112C52.756FDFFF@netscape.net:
>
> > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...
> >

> Big time. Also notice the Sempron vs Celeron D.

Maybe you missed the : ... It should be spelled Celeron : D ... (yes... it
is that ridiculous performance... : )
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2004 2:38:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

P4EE, is that a Prescott chip?? if so, any other cpu with same or lesser
clock speed will beat it because Prescott pipeline is too long (as long as
other cpu has shorter pipeline than Prescott)...

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2004 4:30:46 PM

"Kryptoknight" <kryptoknight@att.net> wrote in message
> P4EE, is that a Prescott chip?? if so, any other cpu with same or lesser
> clock speed will beat it because Prescott pipeline is too long (as long as
> other cpu has shorter pipeline than Prescott)...
>
> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> >

> > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

P4EE is Northwood, Prescott's are actually performing better than Northwoods
in this game though due to larger cache sizes (except the EE which has more
cache than Prescott).

Carlo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2004 8:45:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

"Kryptoknight" <kryptoknight@att.net> wrote in

> P4EE, is that a Prescott chip?? if so, any other cpu with same or
> lesser clock speed will beat it because Prescott pipeline is too long
> (as long as other cpu has shorter pipeline than Prescott)...

The P4EE is a Northwood based P4 with 2MB of cache. The Prescott
outperforms the Northwood in Doom 3 (with the exception of the P4EE)
because it has a larger cache. Pipeline isn't everything.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: demonlag@snip.net
August 9, 2004 1:49:31 PM

On 07 Aug 2004 16:45:06 GMT, DeMoN LaG <demonlag@snip.net> wrote:

> Pipeline isn't everything.

Yeah, Intel has shown us that pretty well over the past couple of
years ;)
!