A $350 Athlon64 3500+ beats a $1,000 P4 3.4 EE in Doom 3!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
8 answers Last reply
More about athlon64 3500 beats doom
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    JK wrote:

    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in news:41112C52.756FDFFF@netscape.net:

    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    Big time. Also notice the Sempron vs Celeron D.

    Sempron 3100 = $125 - $140
    Celeron D 2.8 ghz = $125 - $140

    Same price, extra 53% performance. I'm happy to see my $80 Athlon XP hangs
    with $200 P4s.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Yeah, I used to be an Intel biggot, but I haven't been too impressed
    lately. My next machine may run a 3500+.

    JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<41112C52.756FDFFF@netscape.net>...
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "DeMoN LaG" <demonlag@snip.net> wrote in message
    > JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in news:41112C52.756FDFFF@netscape.net:
    >
    > > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
    > >

    > Big time. Also notice the Sempron vs Celeron D.

    Maybe you missed the : ... It should be spelled Celeron : D ... (yes... it
    is that ridiculous performance... : )
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    P4EE, is that a Prescott chip?? if so, any other cpu with same or lesser
    clock speed will beat it because Prescott pipeline is too long (as long as
    other cpu has shorter pipeline than Prescott)...

    "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "Kryptoknight" <kryptoknight@att.net> wrote in message
    > P4EE, is that a Prescott chip?? if so, any other cpu with same or lesser
    > clock speed will beat it because Prescott pipeline is too long (as long as
    > other cpu has shorter pipeline than Prescott)...
    >
    > "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > >

    > > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    P4EE is Northwood, Prescott's are actually performing better than Northwoods
    in this game though due to larger cache sizes (except the EE which has more
    cache than Prescott).

    Carlo
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "Kryptoknight" <kryptoknight@att.net> wrote in

    > P4EE, is that a Prescott chip?? if so, any other cpu with same or
    > lesser clock speed will beat it because Prescott pipeline is too long
    > (as long as other cpu has shorter pipeline than Prescott)...

    The P4EE is a Northwood based P4 with 2MB of cache. The Prescott
    outperforms the Northwood in Doom 3 (with the exception of the P4EE)
    because it has a larger cache. Pipeline isn't everything.

    --

    On 07 Aug 2004 16:45:06 GMT, DeMoN LaG <demonlag@snip.net> wrote:

    > Pipeline isn't everything.

    Yeah, Intel has shown us that pretty well over the past couple of
    years ;)

Homebuilt Hardware Computer Intel Systems