DVI - VGA Adapters - Any good

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,
I have an lcd with dvi input and a video card with video output. I
only have a normal vga analogue cable but do have a dvi to vga
adapter. Will I lose any signal quality using such an adapter or will
it not be noticeable?

"Rob Beattie" <rob@/remove/ghosh.co.uk> wrote in message news:41115a1e.19047625@news.cable.ntlworld.com...
> Hi,
> I have an lcd with dvi input and a video card with video output. I
> only have a normal vga analogue cable but do have a dvi to vga
> adapter. Will I lose any signal quality using such an adapter or will
> it not be noticeable?

Specifically what kind of "adapter"? Anything that could convert an
analog signal to digital would need to contain some significant circuitry.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:58:30 GMT, rob@/remove/ghosh.co.uk (Rob
Beattie) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an lcd with dvi input and a video card with video output. I
>only have a normal vga analogue cable but do have a dvi to vga
>adapter. Will I lose any signal quality using such an adapter or will
>it not be noticeable?

The typical "adapter" just takes the analog pins on the DVI port,
and converts to HD 15 pin D-sub plug. You'd likely have analog
at the end of the cable going to monitor, not digital.

Main question is, you already have the parts so why didn't you
try it and see for yourself how it looks? Quality is subjective.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Here's a link that may provide some info.
Richard

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html#Page02

Beattie) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an lcd with dvi input and a video card with video output. I
>only have a normal vga analogue cable but do have a dvi to vga
>adapter. Will I lose any signal quality using such an adapter or will
>it not be noticeable?

Don't you need a VGA to DVI adaptor, if there is such a thing?
--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Please reply to Newsgroup.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:56:31 -0500, Richard <pullano@emptyess.net>
wrote:

>Here's a link that may provide some info.
>Richard
>
>http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html#Page02
>
>Rob Beattie wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have an lcd with dvi input and a video card with video output. I
>> only have a normal vga analogue cable but do have a dvi to vga
>> adapter. Will I lose any signal quality using such an adapter or will
>> it not be noticeable?

Thanks for the useful link.
I was being a bit hasty when I said that I have an lcd monitor. It is
actually on order and I expect to get it in a few days time. The
monitor itself is an iiyama prolite 431s and looking at it's specs on
the iiyama website, it has an dvi-d input. My adapter is actually a
dvi-i to vga convertor and came with the video card which naturally
enough has a dvi-i output.
Therefore, the situation is the video signal will be leaving the card
as dvi-i and inputting the monitor which takes dvi-d. And the monitor
only comes with a vga cable.
From reading the info given in the link it seems that I will be able
to use the digital signal if I use a dvi-i or dvi-d cable. The adapter
is redundant because I I will always get an analogue signal outputted
from it so I might as well use the vga cable supplied.
The only question remaining is, is it worth buying a dvi cable( i or
d) in the hope that the picture quality is superior to that of
analogue as it is reputed to be?
As someone who replied in an earlier post stated, it is subjective so
I would not mind a few opinions.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

rob@/remove/ghosh.co.uk (Rob Beattie) wrote in news:41126a30.9571484
@news.cable.ntlworld.com:

> Therefore, the situation is the video signal will be leaving the card
> as dvi-i and inputting the monitor which takes dvi-d. And the monitor
> only comes with a vga cable.

[snip]

> The only question remaining is, is it worth buying a dvi cable( i or
> d) in the hope that the picture quality is superior to that of
> analogue as it is reputed to be?

Double Check again. I suspect the monitor will ship with a DVI cable.
(Probably both). If it ships with just a vga cable and has a DVI input
either

a)someone is having a laugh
b)it also has a vga input

--
Lordy

> I was being a bit hasty when I said that I have an lcd monitor. It is
> actually on order and I expect to get it in a few days time. The
> monitor itself is an iiyama prolite 431s and looking at it's specs on
> the iiyama website, it has an dvi-d input. My adapter is actually a
> dvi-i to vga convertor and came with the video card which naturally
> enough has a dvi-i output.

Many newer video cards:
- have both a VGA and DVI output
- can support 2 monitors
- come with a DVI/VGA converter

This is because almost all monitors, even LCD monitors are still VGA, so in
order to plug 2 monitors into your video card, most people still need the
adaptor.

> Therefore, the situation is the video signal will be leaving the card
> as dvi-i and inputting the monitor which takes dvi-d. And the monitor
> only comes with a vga cable.

That is slightly incorrect. That monitor comes with BOTH connection inputs
available. It's unfortunate that they only include a VGA cable and not a
DVI, but you _will_ be able to connect your monitor without further
purchase. However, if you do buy a DVI cable, you could check yourself if
there is an improvement in image quality.

> The only question remaining is, is it worth buying a dvi cable( i or
> d) in the hope that the picture quality is superior to that of
> analogue as it is reputed to be?

Those cables are under $20, so why not?

One thing I have noticed is that the price of LCDs that take DVI aren't any
more expensive than those than take VGA, so if the picture is really better,
it can't be by much (or they'd be able to charge more).

Rob Beattie wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:56:31 -0500, Richard <pullano@emptyess.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Here's a link that may provide some info.
>>Richard
>>
>>http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html#Page02
>>
>>Rob Beattie wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I have an lcd with dvi input and a video card with video output. I
>>>only have a normal vga analogue cable but do have a dvi to vga
>>>adapter. Will I lose any signal quality using such an adapter or will
>>>it not be noticeable?
>

> Thanks for the useful link.
> I was being a bit hasty when I said that I have an lcd monitor. It is
> actually on order and I expect to get it in a few days time. The
> monitor itself is an iiyama prolite 431s and looking at it's specs on
> the iiyama website, it has an dvi-d input. My adapter is actually a
> dvi-i to vga convertor and came with the video card which naturally
> enough has a dvi-i output.
> Therefore, the situation is the video signal will be leaving the card
> as dvi-i and inputting the monitor which takes dvi-d. And the monitor
> only comes with a vga cable.
> From reading the info given in the link it seems that I will be able
> to use the digital signal if I use a dvi-i or dvi-d cable. The adapter
> is redundant because I I will always get an analogue signal outputted
> from it so I might as well use the vga cable supplied.
> The only question remaining is, is it worth buying a dvi cable( i or
> d) in the hope that the picture quality is superior to that of
> analogue as it is reputed to be?
> As someone who replied in an earlier post stated, it is subjective so
> I would not mind a few opinions.

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2/dvi_explained.html?id=5122

DVI-I has both the digital and analog signals, which is how your 'DVI to
VGA Adapter' works: it's simply taking the analog portion to the VGA pin-out.

The digital signal is better than the analog.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:31:18 GMT, rob@/remove/ghosh.co.uk (Rob
Beattie) wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:56:31 -0500, Richard <pullano@emptyess.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Here's a link that may provide some info.
>>Richard
>>
>>http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html#Page02
>>
>>Rob Beattie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have an lcd with dvi input and a video card with video output. I
>>> only have a normal vga analogue cable but do have a dvi to vga
>>> adapter. Will I lose any signal quality using such an adapter or will
>>> it not be noticeable?

[snipped]
>The only question remaining is, is it worth buying a dvi cable( i or
>d) in the hope that the picture quality is superior to that of
>analogue as it is reputed to be?
>As someone who replied in an earlier post stated, it is subjective so
>I would not mind a few opinions.

Unfortunately you are probably right about there being no DVI
cable with the monitor :-(

YYMV but I have dual Sharp LCD's and I think the one on the
digital output is miles better than that on the VGA.

Leads Direct
(https://sslrelay.com/s75376715.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=1540261e5a5a2a5/shopdata/index.shopscript

are pretty good for cables, beat PC World!
--

In article <41126a30.9571484@news.cable.ntlworld.com>, Rob Beattie says...

>On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:56:31 -0500, Richard <pullano@emptyess.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Here's a link that may provide some info.
>>Richard
>>
>>http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html#Page02
>>
>>Rob Beattie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have an lcd with dvi input and a video card with video output. I
>>> only have a normal vga analogue cable but do have a dvi to vga
>>> adapter. Will I lose any signal quality using such an adapter or will
>>> it not be noticeable?
>
>Thanks for the useful link.
>I was being a bit hasty when I said that I have an lcd monitor. It is
>actually on order and I expect to get it in a few days time. The
>monitor itself is an iiyama prolite 431s and looking at it's specs on
>the iiyama website, it has an dvi-d input. My adapter is actually a
>dvi-i to vga convertor and came with the video card which naturally
>enough has a dvi-i output.
>Therefore, the situation is the video signal will be leaving the card
>as dvi-i and inputting the monitor which takes dvi-d. And the monitor
>only comes with a vga cable.
>From reading the info given in the link it seems that I will be able
>to use the digital signal if I use a dvi-i or dvi-d cable. The adapter
>is redundant because I I will always get an analogue signal outputted
>from it so I might as well use the vga cable supplied.
>The only question remaining is, is it worth buying a dvi cable( i or
>d) in the hope that the picture quality is superior to that of
>analogue as it is reputed to be?
>As someone who replied in an earlier post stated, it is subjective so
>I would not mind a few opinions.

I would suggest that you get the dvi cable. If you're in the US look here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=12-105-814&DEPA=0

I had the same situation when I bought my Viewsonic VG900 because it was a
refurb and came with NO cables. The dvi vs vga is indeed noticeable and the
price of the monitor seems as though it leaves room to spend a bit more for a
cable.

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

> I would suggest that you get the dvi cable. If you're in the US look
here:

This is a UK news group, Rob also has a UK email address so chances
are pretty slim.

A quick search on Kelkoo shows www.komplett.co.uk have some for £12.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"Bad Ash" <none@is.invalid> wrote in news:u5MQc.436$H5.289@newsfe3-
gui.ntli.net:

>> I would suggest that you get the dvi cable. If you're in the US look
> here:
>
> This is a UK news group,

/This/ is actually cross posted!

Rob also has a UK email address so chances
> are pretty slim.

But that sorts it out :)

Jeff Gaines <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in

> are pretty good for cables, beat PC World!

Thats where PC World have all their markup. Cables and consumables (CDR,ink
etc) and Retail boxes for components. Other than that they can be quite
cheap from time to time. Esp when clearing stock...

This is actually a common business model in technology shops (eg HiFi,
Cameras etc) Sell the main bit competatively, and put 100-300% mark up on
all the little bits that people realise they need later on...

Lordy

> This is actually a common business model in technology shops (eg HiFi,
> Cameras etc) Sell the main bit competatively, and put 100-300% mark up on
> all the little bits that people realise they need later on...
>
> Lordy

Very true, especially with printers and ink.

I've also noticed another business model used by large retail chains - put
items on sale, too low to make a profit, but undercut your competitors, THEN
hope that some of them by the extended warranty which is in many cases
nearly 100% profit.

Lordy wrote:

> Jeff Gaines <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> are pretty good for cables, beat PC World!
>
> Thats where PC World have all their markup. Cables and consumables (CDR,ink
> etc) and Retail boxes for components. Other than that they can be quite
> cheap from time to time. Esp when clearing stock...

Their "basics", or whatever they call it, range is (was) reasonably
priced. Effectively OEM stuff in plain brown boxes with equally plain
yellow labels; HDs, mobos, graphics cards etc.

Parish

> This is actually a common business model in technology shops (eg HiFi,
> Cameras etc) Sell the main bit competatively, and put 100-300% mark up on
> all the little bits that people realise they need later on...

It's not just technology, furniture retailer DFS has turned this
business model into an art-form.

Parish

Parish <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2nhii5Fv7cqU1@uni-berlin.de:

>> Thats where PC World have all their markup. Cables and consumables
>> (CDR,ink etc) and Retail boxes for components. Other than that they
>> can be quite cheap from time to time. Esp when clearing stock...
>>

> Their "basics", or whatever they call it, range is (was) reasonably
> priced. Effectively OEM stuff in plain brown boxes with equally plain
> yellow labels; HDs, mobos, graphics cards etc.

The best I saw was some CoolerMaster thermal paste for about 5.99 retail.
Next to it they had a 6"x4" cardboard box of thermal paste for 3.99.
Open the box .. guess what was inside .. the 5.99 retail one - in exactly
the same packaging has the one hanging on the rail..

Lordy

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:55:38 GMT, "Bad Ash" <none@is.invalid> wrote:

>> I would suggest that you get the dvi cable. If you're in the US look
>here:
>
>This is a UK news group, Rob also has a UK email address so chances
>are pretty slim.
>
>A quick search on Kelkoo shows www.komplett.co.uk have some for £12.

Yep, from the UK.
I'm almost certainly buying from ebay as dvi cables can be had for 3
or 4 quid including p&p.