Netgear DG834G router & switch

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
August 5, 2004 8:43:30 PM

Hello, the webpage on netgear.com says that the DG834G is a router
*and* a switch. Based on this assumption, i`ve bought this device to
connect both of my computers to the internet and to create a home
network in order to share files etc.

I was able to create a shared internet connection but cannot get the
home network working.

Is there any way to enable the home network? I`m afraid that the
description on webpage is misleading since the manual nor faqs do not
mention anything about the switch, not even in the specification.

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID...

Thank you!

-
Yer best m8
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 5, 2004 9:05:21 PM

Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote in

> I was able to create a shared internet connection but cannot get the
> home network working.

By home networking I'm asummes you mean sharing files bet Windows boxes?

This is set up entirely in Windows. Make sure all your windows firewalls
are off (you're fairly safe behind the router *), the workgroups/domains
are the same and just click on Explorer / My Network Places / Entire
Network / Microsoft Windows Network..

If that doesnt work you may have to check you machines can ping each other
(but as you've got internet working on both this should be OK)

(*)If the router has a uPnP option you may want to disable it for more
security??

--
Lordy
Anonymous

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:43:30 GMT, Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote:

| Hello, the webpage on netgear.com says that the DG834G is a router
| *and* a switch. Based on this assumption, i`ve bought this device to
| connect both of my computers to the internet and to create a home
| network in order to share files etc.
|
| I was able to create a shared internet connection but cannot get the
| home network working.
|
| Is there any way to enable the home network? I`m afraid that the
| description on webpage is misleading since the manual nor faqs do not
| mention anything about the switch, not even in the specification.

Don't worry about the switching. It's there and is completely
automatic.

If you're already connecting to the Internet on both computers via the
router, the problem must be in your network setup. What OS are you
using? WinXP sets up networking through Control Panel > Network
Connections > Network Setup Wizard. Once you've set up both computers
using that (assuming you're using XP), set up the drives and/or
folders you want to share, and rebooted, it should be as simple as
going into Windows Explorer > My Network Places in one computer to
access files in the other.

Each computer must have a different name for network identification,
but both must be tied to precisely the same workgroup. MSHome is the
default name, but you can choose whatever you want so long as it's the
same in each computer.

An easy way to control your network is to create shortcuts on each
computer for the areas you want to access on the other. I have a
folder on the desktop of each of my computers named "Network." Icons
representing areas of other computers I want to access are all in that
folder. In my case, that involves only entire drives and printers.

My router is also a Netgear (RP614) and it works flawlessly.

Larc

a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2004 11:37:54 AM

On 5 Aug 2004 17:05:21 GMT, lordy <spam_box@gmx.net> wrote:

>Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote in
>
>> I was able to create a shared internet connection but cannot get the
>> home network working.
>
>By home networking I'm asummes you mean sharing files bet Windows boxes?
>
>This is set up entirely in Windows. Make sure all your windows firewalls
>are off (you're fairly safe behind the router *), the workgroups/domains
>are the same and just click on Explorer / My Network Places / Entire
>Network / Microsoft Windows Network..
>
>If that doesnt work you may have to check you machines can ping each other
>(but as you've got internet working on both this should be OK)
>

>(*)If the router has a uPnP option you may want to disable it for more
>security??

It`s on Windows XP Home, both machines, I can`t ping each other. I can
ping the router from both machines but can`t ping the computers each
other (i know their ip from ipconfig utility). One is a pc connected
on cable and one is a notebook on wireless. The firewall is not
switched on on the pc, i can`t figure where to switch off the firewall
on notebook since it is done like wireless>bridge>network card and
can`t find the firewall option. The router is installed automatically
and no changes were made except the home network wizard. Any ideas?

Thank you!

--
Yer best m8
Anonymous

Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote in
news:o oc6h0pc1s2mp89k0g7jj3gum8p8pi6mlg@4ax.com:

> I can
> ping the router from both machines but can`t ping the computers each
> other (i know their ip from ipconfig utility). One is a pc connected
> on cable and one is a notebook on wireless.

what are the ip and's & subnet mask. The wireless bit may be on a different
network?

--
Lordy
Anonymous

Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote in
news:o oc6h0pc1s2mp89k0g7jj3gum8p8pi6mlg@4ax.com:

> I can
> ping the router from both machines but can`t ping the computers each
> other (i know their ip from ipconfig utility). One is a pc connected
> on cable and one is a notebook on wireless.

what are the ip and's & subnet mask. The wireless bit may be on a
different network?

(Probably unlikely as the netgear is one integrated unit? )

--
Lordy
Anonymous

On 6 Aug 2004 11:23:36 GMT, lordy <spam_box@gmx.net> wrote:

>Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote in
>news:o oc6h0pc1s2mp89k0g7jj3gum8p8pi6mlg@4ax.com:
>

>> I can
>> ping the router from both machines but can`t ping the computers each
>> other (i know their ip from ipconfig utility). One is a pc connected
>> on cable and one is a notebook on wireless.
>

>what are the ip and's & subnet mask. The wireless bit may be on a
>different network?
>
>(Probably unlikely as the netgear is one integrated unit? )

All protocols are assigned automatically by DHCP. The wireless is on
the netgear router.

--
Yer best M8
Anonymous

>>what are the ip and's & subnet mask. The wireless bit may be on a
>>different network?
>>
>>(Probably unlikely as the netgear is one integrated unit? )
>
> All protocols are assigned automatically by DHCP. The wireless is on
> the netgear router.

what are the ip and's & subnet mask of each box?

--
Lordy
!