Anyone Know How To Transfer Data To A New Hard Drive

I'll try to explain what my situation is.

I have a 400mb hard drive in a sytem built in 1991. DOS is the only
operating system installed on this system. Simply put... I need to
transfer, or clone, the entire contents of the 400mb hard drive to a
brand new freshly formatted hard drive.

I have several computers so I'm looking at what my best option might
be.

My first question is this. Should I take out the 400mb drive and
install it in another system and then set it as a slave drive?
Assuming that is technically the best route..... I'm wondering what
the next steps are.

For Example:

1. Should I set up two partitions on the new hard drive?

2. Should I install Windows(?) 98se or ? in the C: partition and
transfer the entire contents of the 400mb drive to the D: partition of
the new hard drive?

3. Or should I simply install DOS ( 6.2 ) on the new hard drive?
FWIW.... I don't need a GUI operating system in the new hard drive.
It will only be running 3 or 4 DOS based programs.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback!

On 5 Aug 2004 14:53:06 -0700, slimjimwilson@hotmail.com (Jim
Wilson) wrote:

>I'll try to explain what my situation is.
>
>I have a 400mb hard drive in a sytem built in 1991. DOS is the only
>operating system installed on this system. Simply put... I need to
>transfer, or clone, the entire contents of the 400mb hard drive to a
>brand new freshly formatted hard drive.
>
>I have several computers so I'm looking at what my best option might
>be.
>
>My first question is this. Should I take out the 400mb drive and
>install it in another system and then set it as a slave drive?

Yes you could do that.

>Assuming that is technically the best route..... I'm wondering what
>the next steps are.
>
>For Example:
>
>1. Should I set up two partitions on the new hard drive?

Sure, many people like multiple partitions... if the division of
your data, operating system, applications, etc, is best for YOU
on two partitions then two it is.

>2. Should I install Windows(?) 98se or ? in the C: partition and
>transfer the entire contents of the 400mb drive to the D: partition of
>the new hard drive?

yes you could, or just make a folder anywhere... it is less than
400MB, shouldn't be too hard to fit it on any partition you want,
the destination partition being appropriate per the type of data.

>3. Or should I simply install DOS ( 6.2 ) on the new hard drive?

No, there's no point in doing that. Just get new HDD installed
and system running OK with it, then swap old drive into that
system and copy off files in windows.

>FWIW.... I don't need a GUI operating system in the new hard drive.
>It will only be running 3 or 4 DOS based programs.
>
>Many thanks in advance for any feedback!

If you don't need a GUI then copy in DOS instead.

First off.... Thanks for the feedback!

I'm thinking that this may be the way to go:

1. Set up the new drive as MASTER and the old drive as SLAVE.

2. Install Windows98se on a new drive. (one partition)

3. Make a folder on the new drive. ( call it DOS )

4. Now.... This is where it appears to get incredibly easy, right? I
simply DRAG & DROP the date ( approximately 200mb ) from the slave
drive to the folder called DOS on the new drive.

Is it that easy or am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help!

On 6 Aug 2004 05:17:01 -0700, slimjimwilson@hotmail.com (Jim
Wilson) wrote:

>First off.... Thanks for the feedback!
>
>I'm thinking that this may be the way to go:
>
>1. Set up the new drive as MASTER and the old drive as SLAVE.
>
>2. Install Windows98se on a new drive. (one partition)
>
>3. Make a folder on the new drive. ( call it DOS )
>
>4. Now.... This is where it appears to get incredibly easy, right? I
>simply DRAG & DROP the date ( approximately 200mb ) from the slave
>drive to the folder called DOS on the new drive.
>
>Is it that easy or am I missing something?
>
>Thanks again for your help!

Yes, that method will work fine.