Bios / CD playback problem help needed

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hope someone can help me out here.

having problems playing back mpg's from CD in my drive, the picture looks
fine but there are odd popping sounds when it plays back. If I drag the
file off the CD and stick it on the HD it plays fine from there with normal
sound.

This happened once before and pretty sure there was something that I changed
in the BIOS that fixed it, but for the life of me cant remember what it was
now.
Not too happy looking around in the bios as I don't really know that much
about it, but for reasons I wont bother going into had to load the optimised
defaults in the BIOS and have been having this problem since. I also loaded
the fail safe Bios once I realised there was a problem again, and that's no
better. something's been changed for the worse and cant figure out what.

I've checked that I have DMA on for the CD Drive and that's ok.

any help would be appreciated as for now I cant watch anything straight off
a CD and also makes it hard to check new burned disks.

and sorry if this is the wrong group for this kind of question, but
couldn't find anything helpful on the net.

TIA

Questions:

Do you notice the popping sounds at ANY other time? Such as when
playing CD's or mp3's ?

Do you have on-board sound ? (sound is motherboard based)

If NOT.... and you have a PCI sound card AND you have the on-board
sound ENABLED in the BIOS you could have a problem. See my point?
Your system is trying to use the on-board sound AND the PCI sound card
AT THE SAME TIME. If you ONLY have on board sound then obviously you
need to ENABLE the sound in the BIOS.

If you have a Soundblaster based PCI sound card (or whatever)
installed I would try downloading and installing the latest drivers
available for your particular card.

FWIW.... If you do make changes in the BIOS.... only make ONE change
at a time and run your system for a couple of days before making any
other changes. A common problem users make in regards to making BIOS
adjustments is making several adjustments at once and not knowing
which change they made that caused additional problem(s).

Good Luck!

"Larry" <gabby_fan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<xCXQc.74524$a8.15653@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> Hope someone can help me out here.
>
> having problems playing back mpg's from CD in my drive, the picture looks
> fine but there are odd popping sounds when it plays back. If I drag the
> file off the CD and stick it on the HD it plays fine from there with normal
> sound.
>
> This happened once before and pretty sure there was something that I changed
> in the BIOS that fixed it, but for the life of me cant remember what it was
> now.
> Not too happy looking around in the bios as I don't really know that much
> about it, but for reasons I wont bother going into had to load the optimised
> defaults in the BIOS and have been having this problem since. I also loaded
> the fail safe Bios once I realised there was a problem again, and that's no
> better. something's been changed for the worse and cant figure out what.
>
> I've checked that I have DMA on for the CD Drive and that's ok.
>
> any help would be appreciated as for now I cant watch anything straight off
> a CD and also makes it hard to check new burned disks.
>
> and sorry if this is the wrong group for this kind of question, but
> couldn't find anything helpful on the net.
>
> TIA

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

thanks for the suggestions Jim. not sure if it showed up, but posted
another message last night saying that I'd managed to sort it out. the
access mode for my CD drive had got change from the auto setting, and that's
what was causing the fault.
But the stuff about only changing one setting in the BIOS at a time makes a
lot of sense, and sure would save a lot of grief , even though this time
for a change ) I wasn't the one to fu#k it up

thanks again