4th July Celebrations - page 2

    Guinness wrote:
    > bbodin wrote:
    >
    >> To quote Jefferson Davis "All we want is to be left
    >> alone"
    >

    > To quote Jefferson Starship "Nothing's gonna stop us now"

    LOL! now that was funny...

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    bbodin wrote:
    Snipped

    > So that, MCR, is why some Southerners don't like the term Yanks being
    > applied to them. ;-P (Though I personally could care less..the world is
    > too PC worrying about which terms offend which people)
    >
    > <steps off his soapbox>.

    Hi bbodin,
    Thanks for the interesting info. However we sorta got all this info
    last year. What happened is Hellmark took offence to being called a
    yank, so this year I reminded him and got him all rilled up.

    Normally I wouldnt dream of calling anyone a Yank, but what with the 4th
    of july just past, and things being a bit quiet in here, I thought I
    would wind poor, poor Hellmark up.

    Must by my Britishness and what you lot did to all that lovely tea ;-)

    --

    Hellmark wrote:
    > Andreas Kohlbach's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    > his body were:
    >
    >>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 04:05:26 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
    >>
    >>>SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
    >>>were:

    >>>when going by nationality, American. Other than that, redneck, hick,
    >>>farmboy, geek, nerd, etc work.
    >>
    >>Though al of the people of the American continent agree that "The
    >>Americans" are the US citizens, and even Canadians get angry if they are
    >>called "Americans" it's still strange for me.
    >>Also Europeans mean the US when saying "Americans".
    >>For me all people from the american continent are Americans. But that's
    >>only me. That's like you say "European" and only citizens of one country
    >>are meant.
    >

    > For the most part, things are refered to by nationality, not continent.
    > You wouldn't say you're a European citizen now, would ya?

    I say I am a European. What of it? People often refer to 'Africans'
    when technically Africa is a continent and there are countries in Africa
    .. If people ask me what part of Europe (unlikely), I say the UK, then
    England, then London, then East End, ad-infinitum.

    --

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:57:21 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
    > Andreas Kohlbach's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    > his body were:
    >
    >> Though al of the people of the American continent agree that "The
    >> Americans" are the US citizens, and even Canadians get angry if they are
    >> called "Americans" it's still strange for me.
    >> Also Europeans mean the US when saying "Americans".
    >> For me all people from the american continent are Americans. But that's
    >> only me. That's like you say "European" and only citizens of one country
    >> are meant.
    >
    > For the most part, things are refered to by nationality, not continent.
    > You wouldn't say you're a European citizen now, would ya?

    Yes, but when talking about "The Europeans" you don't mean only the
    Germans. While when talking about "The Americans" you mean the US
    citizens. Not the Canadians, Mexicans, Brasilians...
    --
    Andreas

    PGP Keys available, see key servers

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:23:05 GMT, MCR wrote:
    > Hellmark wrote:
    >> Andreas Kohlbach's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    >> his body were:
    >>
    >>>Though al of the people of the American continent agree that "The
    >>>Americans" are the US citizens, and even Canadians get angry if they are
    >>>called "Americans" it's still strange for me.
    >>>Also Europeans mean the US when saying "Americans".
    >>>For me all people from the american continent are Americans. But that's
    >>>only me. That's like you say "European" and only citizens of one country
    >>>are meant.
    >>

    >> For the most part, things are refered to by nationality, not continent.
    >> You wouldn't say you're a European citizen now, would ya?
    >
    > I say I am a European. What of it? People often refer to 'Africans'
    > when technically Africa is a continent and there are countries in Africa
    > . If people ask me what part of Europe (unlikely), I say the UK, then
    > England, then London, then East End, ad-infinitum.

    Nah, UK is not really Europe. They reject the Euro, still want to see
    your ID or passport when entering, and drive at the wrong side of the
    road. ;-)
    --
    Andreas

    PGP Keys available, see key servers

    "bbodin" <nospam!bbodin@airmail.net>after crossing the finish line at
    the Special Olympics provdly proclaimed:

    >> I've lived in the north and the sovth in the US and will never
    >> vnderstand the "Confederate Rebel" attitvde
    >> Are the provd of slavery?
    >
    > slavery was jvst a small portion of the war. And it was a war
    > initiated by the north. To qvote Jefferson Davis "All we want is to
    > be left alone"...bvt the North insistance on a vnion went against
    > that, so war was inevitable.
    >
    >> Are they provd of the treasonovs act of attacking the US?
    >
    > hmm...are yov provd of ovr treasonovs attack of the English to form
    > this covntry?

    Yes, I am. (Aren't yov?) Colonialism is wrong also.

    >> Are they provd they lost the war?
    >
    > Not provd they lost it, bvt extremely provd of how they fared. When
    > considering the lack of resovrces (not jvst men, bvt food, steel,
    > etc.), the svccess of the campaigns was extraordinary and a testament
    > to the soldiers, and more importantly, the generals leading it. Look
    > at the troop nvmbers and casvality list from each of the major
    > skirmishes on the eastern front. (for yovr history lesson for today,
    > read below :-)
    >
    > In some of those vnion defeats the nvmber of soldiers was almost 2 to
    > 1 in favor of the north. In fact, despite the vast advantage in
    > resovrces, most historians think the Sovth was 1 or 2 victories away
    > from winning the war. Shame it didn't happen..then yov gvys covld have
    > had Kerry..which is what yov wanted anyways :-)

    ? John Kerry? Covnty Kerry? What do yov mean?

    >> I don't get it.
    >
    > Nor will yov ever. The confederecy pride (and no I don't own a trvck
    > nor a confederate flag) is not of ideology bvt of determination and
    > spirt.

    Think not? My grandparents came to this covntry as children from
    Ireland. They worked hard and created a good life for their kids. I
    became the 1st person in my family to go to college and worked to pay my
    way thrv. Thanks to my svcess, my kids will be able to go to college
    withovt worrying abovt money. That is worth pride. That is what makes
    the US great. Slavery brovght so mvch angvish to this covntry. Pride
    in that system is misplaced, no matter how noble the excvses for
    svpporting it or the system that promoted it. The sooner notions of
    Confederate pride disappear, the better.

    --
    FSogol

    "FSogol" <fsogol@nomorespamplease.nu> wrote in message

    > Yes, I am. (Aren't you?)

    absolutely not

    > ? John Kerry? County Kerry? What do you mean?

    John Kerry

    > Think not? My grandparents came to this country as children from
    > Ireland. They worked hard and created a good life for their kids.

    Interestingly enough..when the Irish would get off the boats, they were
    handed guns and forced to fight in the war for the North in acceptance of
    citizenship. Of those numbers I noted, most of them were likely "the tired,
    the poor, the huddled masses".

    > became the 1st person in my family to go to college and worked to pay my
    > way thru. Thanks to my sucess, my kids will be able to go to college
    > without worrying about money. That is worth pride.

    Of course. Is that the only thing worth pride? Likely, no. Heck, I have
    pride in my high school football program and I haven't been there in 15
    years.

    >. Slavery brought so much anguish to this country. Pride
    > in that system is misplaced, no matter how noble the excuses for
    > supporting it or the system that promoted it. The sooner notions of
    > Confederate pride disappear, the better.

    As has been stated multiple times in this thread...slavery was but a small
    portion of the civil war. (3% could afford slaves was mentioned in the
    of not only the war, but of others that find pride in the fortitude of those
    fighting though. If we our proud, we must be bigots, right? How very
    appropriate for current times as well ;-P

    "bbodin" <nospam!bbodin@airmail.net>after crossing the finish line at
    the Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:

    >> ? John Kerry? County Kerry? What do you mean?
    >
    > John Kerry

    Still didn't get your point.

    > As has been stated multiple times in this thread...slavery was but a
    > small portion of the civil war. (3% could afford slaves was mentioned
    > in the previous post)

    I wouldn't quote Heckmart. He makes his stats up. I doubt his 3%
    number, but whether or not a certain amoount owned them, many more
    profited off of the system.

    > It's very "liberal" of you to lump it in your
    > codemenation of not only the war, but of others that find pride in the
    > fortitude of those fighting though. If we our proud, we must be
    > bigots, right? How very appropriate for current times as well ;-P

    I never called you a bigot. I live in the south (well Northern VA) and
    the south has many admirable qualities. Appreciation of the Confederacy
    is not one of them. Anyway, we are way off topic. This is the last I
    post on this topic, but you're welcome to the last word.

    --
    FSogol

    MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
    > Hellmark wrote:
    >> For the most part, things are refered to by nationality, not continent.
    >> You wouldn't say you're a European citizen now, would ya?
    > I say I am a European. What of it? People often refer to 'Africans'
    > when technically Africa is a continent and there are countries in Africa
    > . If people ask me what part of Europe (unlikely), I say the UK, then
    > England, then London, then East End, ad-infinitum.

    Reason I made that statement was, what I am used to is someone gives
    nationality. "I'm german" or "I'm Thai" or something like that.

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:05:21 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
    > MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
    >> Hellmark wrote:
    >>> For the most part, things are refered to by nationality, not continent.
    >>> You wouldn't say you're a European citizen now, would ya?
    >> I say I am a European. What of it? People often refer to 'Africans'
    >> when technically Africa is a continent and there are countries in Africa
    >> . If people ask me what part of Europe (unlikely), I say the UK, then
    >> England, then London, then East End, ad-infinitum.
    >
    > Reason I made that statement was, what I am used to is someone gives
    > nationality. "I'm german" or "I'm Thai" or something like that.

    Yes, and you should say "US American". IMO.
    --
    Andreas

    PGP Keys available, see key servers

    MCR <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:dRYye.2565$Pe4.142@newsfe4-
    win.ntli.net:

    > I say I am a European. What of it? People often refer to 'Africans'
    > when technically Africa is a continent and there are countries in Africa
    > . If people ask me what part of Europe (unlikely), I say the UK, then
    > England, then London, then East End, ad-infinitum.

    You're a "Del Boy" mate and proud of it! ;P

    Lovely jubbly...

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."

    > Kevin Steele wrote:
    >> MCR thought about it a bit, then said...

    >>>LOL! now I could say that was a spelling mistake or a Fraudian slip
    >>>;-)
    >>

    >> "Fraudian"? LOL! You're making my day here...great typos! :-)
    >>

    > Erm... sorry! LOL! I am, how you say in your language, drunk ;-) and
    > the suns barely over the yard-arm!

    Put some WD40 on that keyboard...

    lob

    FSogol <FSogol@nospamplease.org> wrote in

    > MCR wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh... anyways, it doesnt matter. Hellmark is still a Yank ;-)
    >
    > I've lived in the north and the south in the US and will never
    > understand the "Confederate Rebel" attitude. Are the proud of slavery?
    > Are they proud of the treasonous act of attacking the US? Are they
    > proud they lost the war? I don't get it.

    We didn't loose the war...you queenslanders think you're so smug with
    your constant warm weather and your stupid Gold Coast. We'll us southern
    Sydney-siders and gonna send you northern convicts back on the boats to
    Ireland...na, Ireland's quite nice these days, back on the boats to
    Canada...

    lob

    Andreas Kohlbach's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    his body were:
    > Yes, but when talking about "The Europeans" you don't mean only the
    > Germans. While when talking about "The Americans" you mean the US
    > citizens. Not the Canadians, Mexicans, Brasilians...

    Thats because the country actually has America in it's name.

    lob <lob30REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in news:Xns968C3E93AEE7Dlob30yahoocom@
    203.26.24.228:

    > FSogol <FSogol@nospamplease.org> wrote in
    >
    >> MCR wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Oh... anyways, it doesnt matter. Hellmark is still a Yank ;-)
    >>
    >> I've lived in the north and the south in the US and will never
    >> understand the "Confederate Rebel" attitude. Are the proud of
    slavery?
    >> Are they proud of the treasonous act of attacking the US? Are they
    >> proud they lost the war? I don't get it.
    >
    > We didn't loose the war...you queenslanders think you're so smug with
    > your constant warm weather and your stupid Gold Coast. We'll us
    southern
    > Sydney-siders and gonna send you northern convicts back on the boats to
    > Ireland...na, Ireland's quite nice these days, back on the boats to
    > Canada...

    And not some nice place like Toronto,...the most northern, isolated, and
    coldest patch of Canadian real estate we can find. Let's see you idiots
    develop another Gold Coast there eh...

    lob

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    Snip!
    > Nah, UK is not really Europe. They reject the Euro, still want to see
    > your ID or passport when entering, and drive at the wrong side of the
    > road. ;-)

    Oy! who's side are you on! ;-)
    --

    Alex Devlin wrote:
    > MCR <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:dRYye.2565$Pe4.142@newsfe4-
    > win.ntli.net:
    >

    >>I say I am a European. What of it? People often refer to 'Africans'
    >>when technically Africa is a continent and there are countries in Africa
    >>. If people ask me what part of Europe (unlikely), I say the UK, then
    >>England, then London, then East End, ad-infinitum.
    >>

    > You're a "Del Boy" mate and proud of it! ;P
    >
    > Lovely jubbly...

    Sweet as a nut! As long as nobody is suspecting some weird Dick
    Van-Dyke accent :-)

    --

    Hellmark wrote:
    > Andreas Kohlbach's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    > his body were:
    >
    >>Yes, but when talking about "The Europeans" you don't mean only the
    >>Germans. While when talking about "The Americans" you mean the US
    >>citizens. Not the Canadians, Mexicans, Brasilians...
    >

    > Thats because the country actually has America in it's name.

    But it's also the name of the continent... wake up Hellmark.

    --

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 06:23:07 GMT, MCR <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    >Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >Snip!
    >> Nah, UK is not really Europe. They reject the Euro, still want to see
    >> your ID or passport when entering, and drive at the wrong side of the
    >> road. ;-)
    >
    >Oy! who's side are you on! ;-)

    Looks like he's on your side of the road and heading straight atcha !

    MCR thought about it a bit, then said...
    > Sweet as a nut! As long as nobody is suspecting some weird Dick
    > Van-Dyke accent :-)

    I would like to apologize to you from all of America for what has got to
    be one of the worst faux English accents I've ever heard.

    I've heard some awful "American" accents on BBC shows before, but
    nothing there even comes close to the Dick Van Dyke incident...

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

    PRoToCoL wrote:

    >>>Nah, UK is not really Europe. They reject the Euro, still want to see
    >>>your ID or passport when entering, and drive at the wrong side of the
    >>>road. ;-)
    >>
    >>Oy! who's side are you on! ;-)
    >
    > Looks like he's on your side of the road and heading straight atcha !

    LOL
    --
    FSogol

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 06:31:00 GMT, PRoToCoL wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 06:23:07 GMT, MCR <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >>Snip!
    >>> Nah, UK is not really Europe. They reject the Euro, still want to see
    >>> your ID or passport when entering, and drive at the wrong side of the
    >>> road. ;-)
    >>
    >>Oy! who's side are you on! ;-)
    >
    > Looks like he's on your side of the road and heading straight atcha !

    Yes, but on the right side, trying to avoid crashes with those coming to
    my direction on the same side. *g*
    --

    Kevin Steele wrote:
    > MCR thought about it a bit, then said...
    >
    >>Sweet as a nut! As long as nobody is suspecting some weird Dick
    >>Van-Dyke accent :-)
    >

    > I would like to apologize to you from all of America for what has got to
    > be one of the worst faux English accents I've ever heard.

    LOL! yes, it was poor, but in context the movie wasnt all that anyway.

    > I've heard some awful "American" accents on BBC shows before, but
    > nothing there even comes close to the Dick Van Dyke incident...

    He made up for it with the strangely addictive yet corny "Diagnostic
    Murder". A show I enjoy wasting an hour on whenever it's on and I am home.

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
    > Hellmark wrote:
    >> Andreas Kohlbach's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    >> his body were:
    >>>Yes, but when talking about "The Europeans" you don't mean only the
    >>>Germans. While when talking about "The Americans" you mean the US
    >>>citizens. Not the Canadians, Mexicans, Brasilians...
    >> Thats because the country actually has America in it's name.
    > But it's also the name of the continent... wake up Hellmark.

    Never said it wasn't.

    Hellmark wrote:
    Snipped

    >>But it's also the name of the continent... wake up Hellmark.
    >

    > Never said it wasn't.

    Come on yer redneck... admit it, you'd love to be in the north ;-)
    --

    -----8<-----
    > And it was a war initiated by the north. To quote Jefferson Davis
    > "All we want is to be left alone"
    -----8<-----

    >> Are they proud of the treasonous act of attacking the US?
    >
    > hmm...are you proud of our treasonous attack of the English to form this
    > country?
    >

    >>Are they proud they lost the war?
    >

    > Not proud they lost it, but extremely proud of how they fared. When
    > considering the lack of resources (not just men, but food, steel, etc.), the
    > success of the campaigns was extraordinary and a testament to the soldiers,
    > and more importantly, the generals leading it. Look at the troop numbers
    > and casuality list from each of the major skirmishes on the eastern front.
    -----8<-----

    The funny thing about your post is that if you substitute 'The US' for
    'The North', and 'Iraq' for 'The South', it's just as true. <GBEG>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    antifogmatic@anodicallyz.com
    urman@misalignmentl.com
    forepale@alvarl.cm
    sumple@oysterlingi.net
    agria@leotardt.org

    Dead_Dad thought about it a bit, then said...
    > The funny thing about your post is that if you substitute 'The US' for
    > 'The North', and 'Iraq' for 'The South', it's just as true. <GBEG>

    Um...the Iraqi army was destroyed in record time with extremely light
    losses on the US side. Nothing at all like the civil war, where the
    North suffered heavy losses despite having superior weapons and numbers
    over the South.

    Nothing funny about it.

    --

    Guinness <me@email.com> wrote in news:m4Yye.64390$G8.37635
    @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

    > bbodin wrote:
    >> To quote Jefferson Davis "All we want is to be left
    >> alone"
    >
    > To quote Jefferson Starship "Nothing's gonna stop us now"

    Or their other hit: "We Built this City On... Slavery"

    lob ;-)

Newsgroup Games Video Games