PING: MCR

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Are you using Ubuntu now? I just grabbed it this weekend and loaded it
up on my desktop PC and I have to say, I REALLY like this Distro. Its
the first time I have rally given anything besides MDK a shot and I am
very impressed. Everything just seems to work unlike the sometimes hit
or miss issues with MDK. I am going to play for a couple more days but
I think I may be switching very soon, in fact I just posted my review
(First Look) in aolm and colm:

if you are interested.

I thought you mentioned switching and was wondering what you think so
far.

--
David

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

SINNER wrote:
> Are you using Ubuntu now? I just grabbed it this weekend and loaded it
> up on my desktop PC and I have to say, I REALLY like this Distro. Its
> the first time I have rally given anything besides MDK a shot and I am
> very impressed. Everything just seems to work unlike the sometimes hit
> or miss issues with MDK. I am going to play for a couple more days but
> I think I may be switching very soon, in fact I just posted my review
> (First Look) in aolm and colm:

> if you are interested.
>
> I thought you mentioned switching and was wondering what you think so
> far.

Hi Mate,
Yes I am interested. Excuse my ignorance, but I dont know what AOLM and
COLM are. Without a doubt the best distro so far, particularly for the
reasons you state, but also for

I would love to see the review!

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> SINNER wrote:
>> Are you using Ubuntu now? I just grabbed it this weekend and
>> loaded it up on my desktop PC and I have to say, I REALLY like
>> this Distro. Its the first time I have rally given anything
>> besides MDK a shot and I am very impressed. Everything just seems
>> to work unlike the sometimes hit or miss issues with MDK. I am
>> going to play for a couple more days but I think I may be
>> switching very soon, in fact I just posted my review (First Look)
>> in aolm and colm:

>> if you are interested.
>>
>> I thought you mentioned switching and was wondering what you
>> think so far.
>>

> Hi Mate,
> Yes I am interested. Excuse my ignorance, but I dont know what
> AOLM and COLM are.

alt.os.linux.mandrake and comp.os.linux.misc

--
David

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

SINNER wrote:
> * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>

>>SINNER wrote:
>>
>>>Are you using Ubuntu now? I just grabbed it this weekend and
>>>loaded it up on my desktop PC and I have to say, I REALLY like
>>>this Distro. Its the first time I have rally given anything
>>>besides MDK a shot and I am very impressed. Everything just seems
>>>to work unlike the sometimes hit or miss issues with MDK. I am
>>>going to play for a couple more days but I think I may be
>>>switching very soon, in fact I just posted my review (First Look)
>>>in aolm and colm:

>>>if you are interested.
>>>
>>>I thought you mentioned switching and was wondering what you
>>>think so far.
>>>

>>Hi Mate,
>>Yes I am interested. Excuse my ignorance, but I dont know what
>>AOLM and COLM are.
>

> alt.os.linux.mandrake and comp.os.linux.misc

OK, its been a long day! Thanks...

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

SINNER wrote:
Snipped

>>>Are you using Ubuntu now? I just grabbed it this weekend and
>>>loaded it up on my desktop PC and I have to say, I REALLY like
>>>this Distro. Its the first time I have rally given anything
>>>besides MDK a shot and I am very impressed. Everything just seems
>>>to work unlike the sometimes hit or miss issues with MDK. I am
>>>going to play for a couple more days but I think I may be
>>>switching very soon, in fact I just posted my review (First Look)
>>>in aolm and colm:

Nice review, very frank. I got the impression you almost felt guilty
about switching distro's, dont! It's survival of the fittest/best. The
only way the consumer wins if all the bloated/broken/difficult distro's
get consigned to one side and one winner emerges (even if itself it
splits into different distro's). Ubuntu suits my needs, it removes the
need to trying to fix an OS on install and the fact that it found all my
hardware I thought was amazing. It was the first time EVER that I
managed to upgrade KDE (I dont like Gnome) just by typeing in a simple
command! KDE 3.4 (or whatever it is) is brilliant.

I might even log into my server again just to play with it more!

--

* MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> SINNER wrote:
> Snipped

> Nice review, very frank. I got the impression you almost felt
> guilty about switching distro's, dont!

I do. I see it came across almost too well :)

> It's survival of the
> fittest/best. The only way the consumer wins if all the
> bloated/broken/difficult distro's get consigned to one side and
> one winner emerges (even if itself it splits into different
> distro's). Ubuntu suits my needs, it removes the need to trying
> to fix an OS on install and the fact that it found all my hardware
> I thought was amazing. It was the first time EVER that I managed
> to upgrade KDE (I dont like Gnome) just by typeing in a simple
> command! KDE 3.4 (or whatever it is) is brilliant.

I also could not believe that. I actually dont like Gnome either and
was surprised to find no mention of KDE on the HD after a full
install. But, as you said, a few words on the cli and BOOM, minutes
later running KDE. I was completely blown away. FWIW, I am getting
used to Gnome also. Check out gdesklets they give Gnom a whole new
look and feel. On my MDK box I run Fluxbox so this is all a big
change to me.

> I might even log into my server again just to play with it more!

I cant wait to get home. The wife is bit ticked though ;)

--
David