What hardware do I need?
Obviously a PCMCIA/USB wireless
networking card for the notebook,
and a PCI card for one of the
two desktop PCs. Anything else?

Thanks guys.
11 answers Last reply
More about wireless networking

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:17:20 GMT, iamaran
    <iamaranNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I have two PCs set up together
    >in the simplest of ways - via
    >a crossover cable. All I want
    >to do is allow internet and
    >printer sharing, and it works.

    Here you write "it works", yet below you mention a PCI card for
    one of these systems. Adding another PCI card so one box has two
    (network) adapters in it will work, but is a very limiting
    solution unless you have other need for a 2nd network.

    >I'd now like to add a notebook
    >to this simplest of networks,
    >again to facilitate just
    >internet and printer sharing.
    >
    >What hardware do I need?
    >Obviously a PCMCIA/USB wireless
    >networking card for the notebook,
    >and a PCI card for one of the
    >two desktop PCs. Anything else?

    So the PCI card you'd add to one PC would be a wireless type?
    There's little point to that, instead buy the wireless router
    that Conor suggested. You don't *have" to use it as a router,
    could simply use to add notebook to network, but you might as
    well use it as the router and disable ICS.

    In article <Xns9545689D6FBEDiamaranNOSPAMhotmail@194.168.222.122>,
    iamaran says...
    > I have two PCs set up together
    > in the simplest of ways - via
    > a crossover cable. All I want
    > to do is allow internet and
    > printer sharing, and it works.
    >

    > I'd now like to add a notebook
    > to this simplest of networks,
    > again to facilitate just
    > internet and printer sharing.
    >
    > What hardware do I need?
    > Obviously a PCMCIA/USB wireless
    > networking card for the notebook,
    > and a PCI card for one of the
    > two desktop PCs. Anything else?

    Do it properly. Buy yourself a cheap router; they're only around £20 in
    the UK for a 4 port one.

    --
    Conor

    Do gooders are your most dangerous enemies. Never turn your back on the
    devious bastards.

    get a linksys wireless router (4 wired) <$50 nowadays..

    iamaran wrote:

    > I have two PCs set up together
    > in the simplest of ways - via
    > a crossover cable. All I want
    > to do is allow internet and
    > printer sharing, and it works.
    >

    > I'd now like to add a notebook
    > to this simplest of networks,
    > again to facilitate just
    > internet and printer sharing.
    >
    > What hardware do I need?
    > Obviously a PCMCIA/USB wireless
    > networking card for the notebook,
    > and a PCI card for one of the
    > two desktop PCs. Anything else?
    >
    > Thanks guys.

    Actually, since you are using a crossover cable I presume you already have
    ethernet on both PCs. In which case, the best solution is to get a wireless
    router (commonly with 4 ethernet ports in addition to the wireless), and
    the PCMCIA (or USB) wireless notebook card.

    The two PCs then plug into the ethernet ports (you'll need normal cables
    for them instead of the crossover) on the wireless router and the notebook,
    of course, accesses through the wireless port. It looks like a unified,
    single segment, LAN to all of them.

    Your machine with internet access would then act as the internet sharing
    connection for the other two.

    Check pricewatch for prices on wireless routers. The D-Link DI-514, as but
    one example, can be had for under $30.

    Adding a PCI card to one or the other machines would needlessly complicate
    the LAN configuration.

    You need a wireless ROUTER, from Linksys, preferably. They make the most
    durable and user-friendly.

    --
    DaveW

    David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in

    > iamaran wrote:
    >
    >> I have two PCs set up together
    >> in the simplest of ways - via
    >> a crossover cable. All I want
    >> to do is allow internet and
    >> printer sharing, and it works.
    >>

    >> I'd now like to add a notebook
    >> to this simplest of networks,
    >> again to facilitate just
    >> internet and printer sharing.
    >>
    >> What hardware do I need?
    >> Obviously a PCMCIA/USB wireless
    >> networking card for the notebook,
    >> and a PCI card for one of the
    >> two desktop PCs. Anything else?
    >>
    >> Thanks guys.
    >
    > Actually, since you are using a crossover cable I presume you already
    > have ethernet on both PCs. In which case, the best solution is to get
    > a wireless router (commonly with 4 ethernet ports in addition to the
    > wireless), and the PCMCIA (or USB) wireless notebook card.
    >
    > The two PCs then plug into the ethernet ports (you'll need normal
    > cables for them instead of the crossover) on the wireless router and
    > the notebook, of course, accesses through the wireless port. It looks
    > like a unified, single segment, LAN to all of them.
    >
    > Your machine with internet access would then act as the internet
    > sharing connection for the other two.
    >
    > Check pricewatch for prices on wireless routers. The D-Link DI-514, as
    > but one example, can be had for under $30.
    >

    > Adding a PCI card to one or the other machines would needlessly
    > complicate the LAN configuration.

    Many, many thanks to everyone. I'm glad there was agreement - a router
    it is then!

    > David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in
    >
    > > iamaran wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have two PCs set up together
    > >> in the simplest of ways - via
    > >> a crossover cable. All I want
    > >> to do is allow internet and
    > >> printer sharing, and it works.
    > >>

    > >> I'd now like to add a notebook
    > >> to this simplest of networks,
    > >> again to facilitate just
    > >> internet and printer sharing.
    > >>
    > >> What hardware do I need?
    > >> Obviously a PCMCIA/USB wireless
    > >> networking card for the notebook,
    > >> and a PCI card for one of the
    > >> two desktop PCs. Anything else?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks guys.
    > >
    > > Actually, since you are using a crossover cable I presume you already
    > > have ethernet on both PCs. In which case, the best solution is to get
    > > a wireless router (commonly with 4 ethernet ports in addition to the
    > > wireless), and the PCMCIA (or USB) wireless notebook card.
    > >
    > > The two PCs then plug into the ethernet ports (you'll need normal
    > > cables for them instead of the crossover) on the wireless router and
    > > the notebook, of course, accesses through the wireless port. It looks
    > > like a unified, single segment, LAN to all of them.
    > >
    > > Your machine with internet access would then act as the internet
    > > sharing connection for the other two.
    > >
    > > Check pricewatch for prices on wireless routers. The D-Link DI-514, as
    > > but one example, can be had for under $30.
    > >

    > > Adding a PCI card to one or the other machines would needlessly
    > > complicate the LAN configuration.
    > >

    > Many, many thanks to everyone. I'm glad there was agreement - a router
    > it is then!

    Before you go running off and spending your money you might want to consider
    this: a router is for one thing in a home network and that is sharing the
    internet connection. And doing this demands that your modem be able to
    connect to it. A "normal" router will have an ethernet connection for the
    modem. There are routers that connect to the modem through USB but these are
    pretty rare and routers for dialups are nearly unheard of. So, what sort of
    a modem are you using for your internet connection? If it is, (shudder) a
    dialup or internal to one of the existing PCs you do not really need a
    router, just a simple hub or switch to allow ICS in one of the PCs to
    provide the internet connection to the other two as well as allowing file
    and printer sharing.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    John McGaw wrote:

    > "iamaran" <iamaranNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in

    >>>Actually, since you are using a crossover cable I presume you already
    >>>have ethernet on both PCs. In which case, the best solution is to get
    >>>a wireless router (commonly with 4 ethernet ports in addition to the
    >>>wireless), and the PCMCIA (or USB) wireless notebook card.
    >>>
    >>>The two PCs then plug into the ethernet ports (you'll need normal
    >>>cables for them instead of the crossover) on the wireless router and
    >>>the notebook, of course, accesses through the wireless port. It looks
    >>>like a unified, single segment, LAN to all of them.
    >>>
    >>>Your machine with internet access would then act as the internet
    >>>sharing connection for the other two.
    >>>
    >>>Check pricewatch for prices on wireless routers. The D-Link DI-514, as
    >>>but one example, can be had for under $30.
    >>>

    >>>Adding a PCI card to one or the other machines would needlessly
    >>>complicate the LAN configuration.
    >>>

    >>Many, many thanks to everyone. I'm glad there was agreement - a router
    >>it is then!
    >>

    > Before you go running off and spending your money you might want to consider
    > this: a router is for one thing in a home network and that is sharing the
    > internet connection. And doing this demands that your modem be able to
    > connect to it. A "normal" router will have an ethernet connection for the
    > modem. There are routers that connect to the modem through USB but these are
    > pretty rare and routers for dialups are nearly unheard of. So, what sort of
    > a modem are you using for your internet connection? If it is, (shudder) a
    > dialup or internal to one of the existing PCs you do not really need a
    > router, just a simple hub or switch to allow ICS in one of the PCs to
    > provide the internet connection to the other two as well as allowing file
    > and printer sharing.

    A hub would be fine if they were all wired links but he's adding wireless
    and there isn't a 'wireless hub'. He needs either a wireless access point
    or a wireless router and the router is more flexible as it has the hub for
    his other two machines built in.

    And there is no 'requirement' that the modem connect to 'it' (the wireless
    router). Mine works just fine using one of the machine's internal modem,
    and it's internet access, as the wireless access point and hub for the
    wired LAN.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote in

    >> Many, many thanks to everyone. I'm glad there was agreement - a
    >> router it is then!
    >>

    > Before you go running off and spending your money you might want to
    > consider this: a router is for one thing in a home network and that is
    > sharing the internet connection. And doing this demands that your
    > modem be able to connect to it. A "normal" router will have an
    > ethernet connection for the modem. There are routers that connect to
    > the modem through USB but these are pretty rare and routers for
    > dialups are nearly unheard of. So, what sort of a modem are you using
    > for your internet connection? If it is, (shudder) a dialup or internal
    > to one of the existing PCs you do not really need a router, just a
    > simple hub or switch to allow ICS in one of the PCs to provide the
    > internet connection to the other two as well as allowing file and
    > printer sharing. --

    Yup.

    If you ar on Cable you want a

    "DSL/Cable/Wireless/Router/4Port Switch"

    If you are on ADSL, I would go for an

    "ADSL/Wireless/Router/4Port Switch" - and keep your old modem as a backup
    or put it on Ebay :)

    IMO Definitely all on one solutions are the way to go for tidiness etc.

    --
    Lordy
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    >> Before you go running off and spending your money you might want to
    >> consider this: a router is for one thing in a home network and that
    >> is sharing the internet connection. And doing this demands that your
    >> modem be able to connect to it. A "normal" router will have an
    >> ethernet connection for the modem. There are routers that connect to
    >> the modem through USB but these are pretty rare and routers for
    >> dialups are nearly unheard of. So, what sort of a modem are you using
    >> for your internet connection? If it is, (shudder) a dialup or
    >> internal to one of the existing PCs you do not really need a router,
    >> just a simple hub or switch to allow ICS in one of the PCs to provide
    >> the internet connection to the other two as well as allowing file
    >> and printer sharing.
    >
    > A hub would be fine if they were all wired links but he's adding
    > wireless and there isn't a 'wireless hub'. He needs either a wireless
    > access point or a wireless router and the router is more flexible as
    > it has the hub for his other two machines built in.
    >
    > And there is no 'requirement' that the modem connect to 'it' (the
    > wireless router). Mine works just fine using one of the machine's
    > internal modem, and it's internet access, as the wireless access point
    > and hub for the wired LAN.

    Okay, well the modem is an external USB one for ADSL.
    However, in the existing setup (via crossover) the 2nd PC merely uses
    internet connection sharing - it doesn't access the modem directly or
    through a hub, but via the PC to which it is connected.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    iamaran wrote:

    >>>Before you go running off and spending your money you might want to
    >>>consider this: a router is for one thing in a home network and that
    >>>is sharing the internet connection. And doing this demands that your
    >>>modem be able to connect to it. A "normal" router will have an
    >>>ethernet connection for the modem. There are routers that connect to
    >>>the modem through USB but these are pretty rare and routers for
    >>>dialups are nearly unheard of. So, what sort of a modem are you using
    >>>for your internet connection? If it is, (shudder) a dialup or
    >>>internal to one of the existing PCs you do not really need a router,
    >>>just a simple hub or switch to allow ICS in one of the PCs to provide
    >>>the internet connection to the other two as well as allowing file
    >>>and printer sharing.
    >>
    >>A hub would be fine if they were all wired links but he's adding
    >>wireless and there isn't a 'wireless hub'. He needs either a wireless
    >>access point or a wireless router and the router is more flexible as
    >>it has the hub for his other two machines built in.
    >>
    >>And there is no 'requirement' that the modem connect to 'it' (the
    >>wireless router). Mine works just fine using one of the machine's
    >>internal modem, and it's internet access, as the wireless access point
    >>and hub for the wired LAN.
    >>

    > Okay, well the modem is an external USB one for ADSL.
    > However, in the existing setup (via crossover) the 2nd PC merely uses
    > internet connection sharing - it doesn't access the modem directly or
    > through a hub, but via the PC to which it is connected.

    It'll work the same way: The PC with ADSL acts as the internet sharing
    connection for the other two. That is how mine is setup as well except mine
    is a plain old dial-up modem. (I'm on the breakfast nook machine right now
    talking through the wired LAN port in the wireless router to the internet
    connection sharing computer but I could just as well be on the wireless
    notebook. Just depends on where I am :))

    If you had a modem with an ethernet connection you could plug it into the
    wireless router and each machine would then have independent access to it
    as the wireless router is capable of performing the (NAT) internet sharing
    function. In that case you wouldn't need to keep a 'sharing' computer
    turned on for the others to talk to the internet because there wouldn't be
    one: the router would do it.

    It'll work either way. In your case you're simply not going to use the
    build in NAT, since your ADSL PC will be doing that, and it'll act similar
    to a 'hub' but with the additional wireless access functions added (plus
    DHCP for the wired LAN if you want to use it).

    A wireless connection needs something that's 'smart' on each end because it
    doesn't just throw RF into the air and 'poof' talk. It negotiates, and
    checks, certain parameters to make sure the remote wireless device is
    authorized to access the LAN. In the simple case, which I would recommend
    using for a number of reasons, that comprises which frequency it's set to
    (obviously both must be on the same one) and the station ID, which you
    program into it (and the notebook). Which is why a simple 'hub' isn't
    sufficient for wireless.

    The more secure means is using "WEP" (Wired Equivalency Protocol), which
    sends a unique code with every transmission. Unfortunately, not all
    wireless products use precisely the same WEP configuration (although that's
    getting better) and the extra code takes up a significant amount of
    bandwidth (slows the data rate). Again, a simple hub could not do WEP.

    Home wireless products don't have a great range, however, and someone would
    have to be not only close by but intentionally trying to break in to figure
    out even the simple station ID. User security on your own LAN adds another
    layer of security for your own files. If you're really worried about it,
    though, you could disable DHCP and use a single, fixed, assigned IP to your
    notebook and block the others in the wireless router (again, not something
    a hub could do). That way there'd be no IP address for an intruder to use
    unless your notebook is off and they guess which '1' you have enabled (plus
    which frequency you're using and what your station ID is). If you're super
    worried about it you could use WEP.

Homebuilt Systems