Windows 7 SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts, observations or comments on Windows 7 SP1? Installed problem free on four systems so far. Would appreciate informative links regarding performance enhancements, stability or any other useful discussion on exactly what SP1 contains other than all the previously released security updates. Thanks.

Solution
Installed without problem. Subjectively the system seems a little "snappier", but that may just be wishful thinking. Has fixed a problem I had when the network card would take ages to reinitialize when coming out of Sleep or Hibernate.

At least it doesn't appear to have broken anything.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Same here, already updated a couple systems and have had ZERO issues, none. In fact, other than installing and knowing it is there, I have seem no differences at all.

I have a netbook that my wife uses that is next in the chain. Will be interesting to see how the update does there.

HOOAH!!!

Well, my machines were updated with all previously released security updates, etc. From what I read so far, memory usage enhancemets as well as GPU related improvements are limited to Windows 7 virtulation installments? I may be wrong about that as I have read only limited related material. Any links or explanation would be helpful.

I also download the .iso SP1 file and burned a Windows 7 SP1 installation DVD. Takes maybe 45 min for the downlaod.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyId=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&hash=Ie19gw481fRxHFnLruylzFNhfG2Z7cK0LFObj%2fhWwjkgwkiCV5d6cDS80SzkBP8PRmGptQPhn2%2b5WSr2faHrow%3d%3d

Installed without problem. Subjectively the system seems a little "snappier", but that may just be wishful thinking. Has fixed a problem I had when the network card would take ages to reinitialize when coming out of Sleep or Hibernate.

At least it doesn't appear to have broken anything.

Solution
My maim system seems to also be snappier especially when using IE8. Maybe more stable with operation/deploymet enhancement regarding IE8? Any improvement to Superfetch/RAM managemet anyone has read about? Or is this related only to Win 7 virtualtion installations?

I installed SP1 on my backup machine first thinking Internet Explorer 9 would be included in SP1 (which it was not). IE9 BETA is not compatible with my remote internet viewing/connection regarding my three security systems. I watch twelve online cameras most of the day. A product update/patch/driver regarding the use of IE9 when released will be required for my useage of IE9.

Well, I installed the BETA, may have been RC, version recently and the DDNX server used for remote viewing did not support IE9 BETA/RC. I emailed the server support and was informed when IE9 was officially released a 'patch' would be available to make IE9 compatible with the remote viewing capability of my three security systems. I had to uninstall IE9 BETA/RC in order to revert back to IE8 on that one system.

A tidbit about my security systems. I have run the speakers of one my camera server systems to an open windows in the back parking lot of the propety (the window is barred so entry is not possible with the window left opened). I take remote control of that camera server system from my remote location. I then call the system using Skype. I answer the call by remote control. I then use my mike here at my desk (or my other office) and talk to anyone including the police who may be on my property and think I am not there! I can install this system for you for the discount price of twelve thousand dollars.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1

Install was really quick but the download was slow even though it was small. Servers must have been getting slammed.
No issues with it so far.

kaspro

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

Apoplectic

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Installed SP1 over an existing 7 Ultimate. It's a work machine and on all the time with 4 Gig RAM. After any reboot, memory utilization is stable around 25%. Overnight, memory utilization climbs to 75% or above - at this point the UI gets very sluggish (duh!) and menus don't respond well if at all - reboot again and back to 25%. This happens regularly - guess I'll have to wait for a patch... Before SP1, memory was around 55% and stable for days and days. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.