JeffreyF

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Current situation:
2 computers both running WinXP Pro
BEFSR41 Linksys Ethernet cable/dsl router

DSL modem is connected to the router and dialed in

First PC is connected to router via bundled software

Second PC: rann option to setup additional pc on primary machine and the cd claimed it worked. However no connection.

Tried installing the additional pc connection program from the 2nd pc itself and it says it can't find the router.

Anyone want to tell me what ultranewbie mistake I'm making? I went to the linksys website and couldn't really find anything of use, howerever will admit I probably missed it.

Thanks for any help.

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
I have this particular router from Linksys myself. You should not need to install any software if it still works the same as when I bought mine.

Out of the box the router should be running a DHCP server that will configure your network settings for you.

If you need to connect by PPPoE the router has that capability and you'll need to access the router's administration page by opening up a web browswer and putting in the address of http://192.168.1.1 The only thing I can even think of is that the TCP/IP settings on a computer is set to a static IP address rather then to get it's settings from DHCP.

If I'm reading it correctly it sounds like the option for a second pc is like it's trying to make the first PC you setup with the software a proxy of some sort and I don't know why you would want to do that when the router can handle 4 comptuers right out of the box or 3 computers and connect to another hub/switch.

GK

Yes, I made it past newbie w00t.

JeffreyF

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Have the ppoe working through the router. DHCP is enabled on the router and the second pc is set to use dhcp.

I wonder if I'm looking in the wrong place. Just noticed when I try to ping the ip address the 2nd pc isn't able to resolve the ip.

JeffreyF

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Well it was like I feared. I let windows get to me instead of performing the most basic of problem solving tasks.

Turns out I was being real stupid and thinking that just because the router and nic were showing signals there was no traffic. Popped in another nic and voila it starts working like a champ and without using any software like you said.

Well at least tomorrow I can go back to work and the friendly environment of my unix servers. Thanks all!